4 Terrorists try to blow up Temple in New York

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
in a twist of irony...

Obama is giving a speech in 1 hour and 15 minutes on his plan to close Gitmo and bring detainees to the USA...

couldn't have picked a worse time for this to happen

and in another twist of irony, Cheney is giving the rebuttal in two hours.

Doubtless, everyone will say Cheney orchestrated this :rolleyes:

frankly, this could not form a more perfect example of why Gitmo should be left open.

thankfully, the senate measure had overwhelming bipartisan support, passing 90-6

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
in a twist of irony...

Obama is giving a speech in 1 hour and 15 minutes on his plan to close Gitmo and bring detainees to the USA...

frankly, this could not form a more perfect example of why Gitmo should be left open.

thankfully, the senate measure had overwhelming bipartisan support, passing 90-6

couldn't agree more.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hmm, Flashy, I really don't understand why it is 'ironic'.

That notwithstanding, why does a successful FBI sting against 'American' extremists (apparently duped by a fake Stinger missile) show that we need a prison outside of US jurisdiction to hold and torture 'enemy combatants'?

Let's take your statement on face value. Does this mean any suspected terrorist (foreign or American) should be shipped to Gitmo?

You should have more faith in the US criminal justice system, in my opinion, and not turn to extra-legal prisons and courts.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That notwithstanding, why does a successful FBI sting against 'American' extremists (apparently duped by a fake Stinger missile) show that we need a prison outside of US jurisdiction to hold and torture 'enemy combatants'?

Let's take your statement on face value. Does this mean any suspected terrorist (foreign or American) should be shipped to Gitmo?

You should have more faith in the US criminal justice system, in my opinion, and not turn to extra-legal prisons and courts.

Geez, Sparks.

How do you think terrorists will fare in US prisons?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

you don't find there to be any irony in the fact that a major terrorist attack was broken up on the day that the president and the former vice president are giving competing, back to back, speeches on closing a prison that houses terrorists?

you may in fact be the most difficult to please in the category of "proof of irony" in the history of the world, sparky :wink:

I did not say that we needed the prison to torture enemy combatants. But we do need one to hold them.

However, each of these men (except the Haitian) converted to Islam in a United States prison, then, came out hell bent on planning and conducting terror attacks...

it stands to reason, that taking radical, islamic terror masterminds, or even mid-level terrorists and placing them in US prisons, with a criminal element of a large bunch of angry, easily persuaded, islamic converts in US prisons, might be a bit of an unhealthy prospect for the future, considering those criminals will eventually get out of prison, even if the masterminds do not.

Any non-american citizen, who is in fact a terrorist, affiliated with known terror groups, who plan attacks against our country, should be sent to Gitmo.

American citizens cannot be, since they have certain rights as american citizens.

you know that.

Timothy McVeigh would not be shipped to Gitmo once it opened if he was alive today.

I do not have much faith in the US Criminal Justice System in general...and i have even less faith over the prospects of turning non-us citizens who are engaged in terrorism over to it.

Combine that with the fact that the Pentagon recently released a report that stated that it estimated roughly 1 in 7 prisoners already released from Gitmo during the last few years, returned to their countries and plotted or engaged in attacks against the US

Would you like to be President Obama, if a Gitmo detainee, who is released on his watch into the US after prison in the US, detonates a car bomb at a high school in Michigan, killing 50 kids?

You are not taking into account that if Obama puts detainees on trial in federal court or some new type of military court procedure for Gitmo that is a little less military and a bit more like US civil or criminal court, and just one guy gets acquitted, or a mistrial, and is freed, is Obama going to just let him walk right out into the US?

Gitmo can be monitored and supervised to insure that nothing that violates the detainees rights occurs, but IMO, and in the opinions of most of those in congress, republican and democrat, the premise of bringing them here from Gitmo is a proposal that is D.O.A.

even the most liberal senator or congressman, is petrified at the premise of any one of these people being housed in their state, and if you want to take that to the voters and justify it...well...you can figure that one out...

I do not know *ANYONE* that could look at their constituents and not feel very uncomfortable having to inform them that you, as their representative, believed it was imperative to bring Al Qaieda detainees, from Gitmo, to the prison in your district or state.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Geez, Sparks.

How do you think terrorists will fare in US prisons?

They will probably be killed by other inmates, as some will probably view the terrorists to be as low on the totem pole as child rapists. You know, if we REALLY had to think about the ugly truth about people's behavior in the prison system.

But to get back to my point... I feel it necessary to post these couple of links right now. Many people like to look at Islam and talk about how violent & barbaric their religion is, ignoring the fact that Christianity has had its share as well. Even if they don't do suicide bomber missions or hijack planes, some do find it to be the second most violent religion in the world... right next to Islam.

http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=boardman
Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The world's most bloodiest conflicts and struggles circulate around Religion and the extremists who exploit it for power. The people on both sides seem to think they have a right to take out the other, all in the name of God, Allah or whomever. Kinda ironic that it's only the crazy people who can ignore the violent actions of their own religious extremists and look at another as the problem. Keep in mind, I'm in no shape or form a "terrorist supporter" or someone who favors Islam. I'm also a Christian, being baptized upon request of my father when I was very young. But with the way most "Christians" have viewed and chastised me just because I'm gay I feel as if I don't have much in common with todays image of a "holy person". Because of this, they don't need me as a head count for their causes, NOR do they need my money.

When does it all end, people?

Last edited:

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
even the most liberal senator or congressman, is petrified at the premise of any one of these people being housed in their state, and if you want to take that to the voters and justify it...well...you can figure that one out...

I do not know *ANYONE* that could look at their constituents and not feel very uncomfortable having to inform them that you, as their representative, believed it was imperative to bring Al Qaieda detainees, from Gitmo, to the prison in your district or state.

Flashy, You are Right on .. changed the whole Gitmo ?? when this surfaced. Next few hours will be interesting.

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
in a twist of irony...

How do you know that it was just ironic? The bombs came from the FBI informant, so the FBI had control over when the fake bombs were to be given to the budding terrorists. All of the intense portions of the investigative sting took place in the last 8 weeks or so...

These guys have a potential to be waaaaay more guilty then a number of Guantanamo detainees though. These four were caught red handed and have evidence on top of evidence that they are guilty which is more than you can say about a number of the Guantanamo detainees.

Something tells me that they will be have a fair trial and end up in a Supermax prison somewhere for life.

The Guantanamo detainees need to be tried in a fair court of law.

Detaining people indefinitely without a trial is flat out wrong. If they are guilty, then find them guilty... it shouldn't be that hard.

250 out of the 750 have already been released.

All of this Guantanamo Bay hysteria is based on the release of ethnic Uighurs (Weegers) who were training to fight for independence from the Chinese government in Xinjiang province. We can't send them back to China and now there is hysteria whipping up for their release in the U.S.

I guess we need to build a secured labor camp for the innocent detainees who are to be released, barbed wire and all. They could have a fairly normal life there.

Of course the Uighurs are terrorists of a sort though and are a threat to our banker China... so I understand the hysteria and why little to no Democrats could vote to put them in their state.

Closing Guantanamo Bay is just a feel good slogan that has no basis in reality. The detainees need to be not beat on a regular basis and the torture has to stop. They also need fair trials. I like my work camp idea... the ones that we find to be not guilty will feel like they are in the army not prison, which is an improvement in my book.

This new arrest solidifies my position that anti-terrorism is a police action and has nothing to do with large scale wars.

We catch home grown terrorists with FBI and police officers. The whole "fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here" argument is total shit and a bold faced lie.

Last edited:

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The fear in these posts is disheartening. We don't know very much about the four individuals from Newburg, but they do not seem like hardened Jihadists. US prisons hold some very dangerous criminals, and I don't see any of these individuals, or even the worst Gitmo detainees as any more dangerous than people who have actually carried out terrible crimes.

I guess it's the Eagle Scout in me -- capture alleged criminals, try them in a court with the normal safeguards for *everyone's* civil rights, send them to prison when convicted. I think this is one of the things that makes this country great -- the same system for white, brown, christian, muslim, US citizen, legal resident, thief, or terrorist.

I just won't be so fearful that I will engage in blood lust.

BTW, Flashy, the comment about irony was this -- every day the President deals with national security issues, and the fact that there was a law enforcement event can be aligned with many so-called 'ironies'. I think a lot of people see connections (and as you said conspiracies) when things happen coincidentally. I think this is akin to people in the Middle Ages reading signs from a solar eclipse.

It was also ironic that I took a cab to work today, *just as I did the morning of 9-11*!! Be afraid!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The fear in these posts is disheartening. We don't know very much about the four individuals from Newburg, but they do not seem like hardened Jihadists. US prisons hold some very dangerous criminals, and I don't see any of these individuals, or even the worst Gitmo detainees as any more dangerous than people who have actually carried out terrible crimes.

true, but the most dangerous criminals, even, have not plotted to blow up two jewish temples and try and shoot down National Guard planes.

that is precisely the point...these were a bunch of minor criminals, who were converted rather easily from minor offenses, to a major attack...without ever likely having met one of the 100 Yemeni jihadist detaines in Gitmo.

i do not like the sound of allowing these minor types, to mix with crazed Yemeni jihadists, do you?

I guess it's the Eagle Scout in me -- capture alleged criminals, try them in a court with the normal safeguards for *everyone's* civil rights, send them to prison when convicted. I think this is one of the things that makes this country great -- the same system for white, brown, christian, muslim, US citizen, legal resident, thief, or terrorist.

but it isn't...foreign combatants i.e. islamic terrorists do not have the same rights as US citizens...nor should they.

I just won't be so fearful that I will engage in blood lust.

who is talking about blood lust?

keeping them in Gitmo with proper, sanctioned detainees rights is hardly blood lust.

BTW, Flashy, the comment about irony was this -- every day the President deals with national security issues, and the fact that there was a law enforcement event can be aligned with many so-called 'ironies'.

not really true, my friend...this was not simply a "law enforcement event".

this was a terror plot.

if the FBI had just announced that a significant "law enforcement event" (L.E.E. - if that is even a term :wink:) had occurred, where they broke up a major mafia gambling ring that spanned 12 states, that they had been investigating for a year, it would in no way be relative to what is going on right at this moment on TV...

but a terror plot, is.

I think a lot of people see connections (and as you said conspiracies) when things happen coincidentally. I think this is akin to people in the Middle Ages reading signs from a solar eclipse.

yes i would agree with that

It was also ironic that I took a cab to work today, *just as I did the morning of 9-11*!! Be afraid!

you are too smart and capable a poster/debater to know that is not the same thing sparky :smile:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is scary that there are home-grown terrorists in America.

there have always been though...

frankly, it is rather miraculous there aren't more...

with guys like Timothy McVeigh, frankly, i am shocked there are not more loonies like him...though i am grateful there aren't more.