40 Years Later

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate starting macabre threads but I can't believe it's been 40 years. I remember this so vividly because I was living in LA at the time. I'm watching CNN and it seems Susan Atkins is trying again for a parole because of her health and feels that she deserves to die with some dignity. I don't agree. If you remember this...what are your thoughts?
YouTube - In Memory Of The Victims of August 8th 1969

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting you brought this up as Squeaky Fromme is due for release this week finally. She just tried to shoot a president tho. That was a good video you posted. It's real people vs. watching the reuns of the mini-series Helter Skelter. Lesley Van Houten I think will never get out.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting you brought this up as Squeaky Fromme is due for release this week finally. She just tried to shoot a president tho. That was a good video you posted. It's real people vs. watching the reuns of the mini-series Helter Skelter. Lesley Van Houten I think will never get out.

Lynette Fromme merely attempted to kill President Ford, Meanwhile Susan Atkins was involved with the murder of all of these people. But the big thing for me is that she feels that she is due compassionate release. Doris Tate had to go to every parole hearing to contest it until she died. Meanwhile Patti Tate has to put her life on hold and go to all of the parole hearings... to say "Did you give any compassion to my sister (nephew) before you killed her(him)?" And now they are playing the victim card. Sorry for me it's a die in jail and burn in HELL!

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lynette Fromme merely attempted to kill President Ford, Meanwhile Susan Atkins was involved with the murder of all of these people. But the big thing for me is that she feels that she is due compassionate release. Doris Tate had to go to every parole hearing to contest it until she died. Meanwhile Patti Tate has to put her life on hold and go to all of the parole hearings... to say "Did you give any compassion to my sister (nephew) before you killed her(him)?" And now they are playing the victim card. Sorry for me it's a die in jail and burn in HELL!
I remember seeing a documentary on tv saying Patti Tate has attended and said she WILL attend EVERY parole hearing. She doesn't have to attend but there is an opportunity for people opposed to a person being paroled to make their thoughts known. Or maybe it's just the family members of the victim.

Anyway I don't think there are many people who would do that, and for that she deserves to be commended. And what a way to honor and remember a sister who was killed in the prime of her life.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember seeing a documentary on tv saying Patti Tate has attended and said she WILL attend EVERY parole hearing. She doesn't have to attend but there is an opportunity for people opposed to a person being paroled to make their thoughts known. Or maybe it's just the family members of the victim.

Anyway I don't think there are many people who would do that, and for that she deserves to be commended. And what a way to honor and remember a sister who was killed in the prime of her life.

She made a promise to Doris Tate (on her deathbed) that she would attend because if there is no one there making any objections than the parole board can make their own judgement. It is hard to believe that anyone would grant any of these people parole, but as time goes by who wants to take a chance.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
She made a promise to Doris Tate (on her deathbed) that she would attend because if there is no one there making any objections than the parole board can make their own judgement. It is hard to believe that anyone would grant any of these people parole, but as time goes by who wants to take a chance.
Didn't know it was a deathbed promise :redface: There is always a chance that they could let her out just to free up one more jailcell :frown1::mad: It is best she is locked up. Even though it's been 40yrs etc, she was so easily led before who's to say she won't be easily led to do something evil again. When they say lock 'em up and throw away the key it should be just that.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wasn't around when this happened, but I've read more books and articles on the subject than most anyone I know. I'm fascinated by true crime, and for some reason, the Manson Family completely amazes me. I do not think that any of them should be released. I think that what they did was wrong, and in all honesty, I think most of them know that. I feel confident that they're capable of changing, and probably have changed for the better. But I still don't feel that they should be allowed to leave prison.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
From what I've read, the incident marks the turning point in American culture ... before this, people rarely locked their doors and windows, unless they were gone for a while ... hitchhiking was common and accepted ... after this, security systems came into use, and Americans began to view each with suspicion

Too bad we have Constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment; Electric chair, gas chamber, fatal injection, life imprisonment are inappropriately kind ...

Media
about two years ago I saw a couple of guys on a talk show from this group. These nutbars were there to talk about the t-shirts they were selling to raise money for Manson's legal representation. The T has an image of Manson on it, underneath the caption reads: "Charlie don't surf". (It is a song and also a line from Apocalypse now.)

They were very sympathetic to Manson's plight as it were.

The website also links over to a satanic jewelry maker. Go figure.