51% say Obama DOESN'T deserve Reelection

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Adding a condition to my list that the legislative branch plays a part would have been redundant.

Perhaps, but you seem to be unaware that the reason that Obama was unable to put the necessary banking reforms into place was that he was limited by what Congress was willing to pass; likewise with some other desirable changes which were not made.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Perhaps, but you seem to be unaware that the reason that Obama was unable to put the necessary banking reforms into place was that he was limited by what Congress was willing to pass; likewise with some other desirable changes which were not made.
Perhaps, I feel, at one point, the 'political capital' to make serious inroads in these areas was there, and whether the opportunity has been squandered or not remains to be seen.

Whatever the final results by the election cycle, the issues listed are a few I will use to decide where to apply my vote in 2012.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Perhaps, I feel, at one point, the 'political capital' to make serious inroads in these areas was there, and whether the opportunity has been squandered or not remains to be seen.

As a Canadian, I have no dog in this fight.
But Obama never had any 'political capital' because his opponents were ravenously out to get him before the opening bell rang.
They didn't care that he had won the election.
Time was, they would have.
Your system is so partisan now that no one cares about the Republic or The People any more ... only their allies and comrades in arms.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I find him to be arrogant a great deal of the time, at least his demeanor appears to be that. Perhaps use of 'prick' after arrogant was wrong, oddly that word didn't seem to bother you. Stranger still is how you moan about me calling President Obama arrogant, yet you call George W. Bush 'dummy' and 'asshole'. Oh that's right, the left is to be allowed that freedom.
I don't like him, I certainly don't trust him, and I have no respect for him. That said, I do not want to see him fail or for the Nation to crumble. Perhaps that is why I get so frustrated when he dithers-which he often does, then parades out pompously and with a glare declares how things will be done. His left wing cronies then leap around like hyenas on speed declaring how saintly he is.

Of course the left wing cronies who keep complaining that the right wants him to fail, are still dragging former President Bush (and many times even Reagan and Nixon) in as what is wrong with things now. Why, you just did so yourself above, when speaking of the GWB Presidency. Keep in mind, some of the things which went wrong under GWB, were from structural problems created by his predecessor, Bill Clinton. Clinton had bin Laden in his reach and let him go. Clinton had some of the financial advisors (like Geithner and Summers) who added to the flimsy construction of the economic towers. Many of the failed banks, had the roots of their collapse in Clinton soil.

That does not excuse the places where GWB went wrong- which he often did, just as President Obama and his allies (Pelosi, Reid, etc.) cannot keep shaking their fingers and fists wildly and blaming GWB, GHWB, RWR, RMN and others for what has happened during the Obama presidency. It gets stale watching you and others, still, a year and a half into the Obama presidency, blaming George W. Bush. Many of you are the same ones who felt that GWB was solely responsible for allowing the terror attacks of September 11, 2001 and other matters which happened in his first year. If he was responsible for all the ills of year one, then Obama must be equally held and most definitely he must be accountable for problems which have taken place here in his second year.

Even so, I do not want to see President Obama fail. Neither do I believe that he is done for. It is still early. Health care is moving into daily life, the economy may come around the sharp curve and start to visibly improve, the oil spill will have time to be cleaned, an immigration reform act bill can be cobbled together which both sides of the two Houses can agree on and pass and President Obama can feel good about signing and the Nation (its citizens) can embrace. He's far from done for, which is why, I had made clear earlier, that the current polls are useless, senseless, inane.

Okay, so you just didn't like him from the "get". Your priviledge. Admit that and move on. I didn't "moan" about anything. I proposed that if one acknowledges (your position) that Obama is "Robot" then I should be allowed "Asshole" and "Dummy". My priviledge.

GWB inherited a balance budget. It took him eight years to undo it all. If one allows the argument that the fall was put into place under Clinton's Presidency, they certainly you must allow that it'd take Obama more than a year and a half to undo EIGHT years of GWB's mismanagement.

I don't endorse theories on GWB's "responsibility" for 9/11. I do have some ideas on his failed mission in Afghanistan, a responsibility that Obama has also inherited.

At least you recognize that one doesn't have to particularly like a person to work with him. Advice the holders of the "Republican agenda" could do well following.

Residents of LA say Obama has fucked up Oilgate worse than Bush did Katrina (even though we know it was more Blanco and Nagin ... but the uber-liberal mainstream media wouldn't call that out... just as they protect Barry on this).
Polls polls polls.

"Oilgate"??? lol. Ever since Watergate you guys have been trying to "GATE" everything under the sun. lol.

People here in LA are quite pleased with his response to this disaster.

The only objection those here in LA have about Obama's handling of BP is the moratorium on drilling, because, as another poster in another thread observed, our economy is also heavily dependent on the same industry that (when they f**k up) threatens our wildlife, fishing industry, tourism, and the lives of those who depend on those livelihoods as well.

I'm not altogether in disagreement with the idea that the moratorium was overkill. Seemed to me that concerns about drilling regulations could've been addressed without such action. But what many don't know is that early after the spill, some Republicans called for a moratorium as well.

Also, earlier in this incident, certain posters here were claiming that Obama was in favor of even more drilling prior to the spill. More distortions, more spin. It was Republicans in Congress who pressed for expansion of drilling operations in the Gulf, in spite of environmental concerns.

Something else your so-called "liberal media" hasn't called out.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

But Obama never had any 'political capital' because his opponents were ravenously out to get him before the opening bell rang.
Your system is so partisan now that no one cares about the Republic or The People any more ... only their allies and comrades in arms.

And whatever he 'capital' he might have had he threw it ALL into health care. All of it. And now the cats he and Pelosi managed to herd for one momentous occasion have all fled.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It appears Obama is "obligated" by advisors to escalate the occupation/war in Afghanistan. No one really seems to know the up or down status of Iraq. Regardless, as long as Obama doesn't start yet another war, I'll vote for him in 2012. Hell, I may even vote for him twice. Maybe even three times if Iraq is stable and rebuilding by 2012.

Oh, and a bit off the thread topic: Although there seems to be a great deal of wishful thinking by many that a particular LPSG-er has been banned, which no doubt would raise the spirits of many, there is as yet no evidence in the Moderator's Actions thread that such a thing has happened. Therefore, may I humbly put forth the pithy advice that everyone heed the old object lesson of "Don't hatchet your Count before he chickens."

Last edited:

D_Aston Asstonne

Account Disabled
Media
If you don't understand and appreciate the value of what these men and women have contributed to this Nation, then it is you who is none too bright. These men and women do jobs which even in the worst of economic times, legal residents refuse and they do it so their children can have a chance at a better life. Grant them amnesty, make them legal.
reward folks for breaking the law???i think not.after all..what kinda message does that send??

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oh, and a bit off the thread topic: Although there seems to be a great deal of wishful thinking by many that a particular LPSG-er has been banned, which no doubt would raise the spirits of many, there is as yet no evidence in the Moderator's Actions thread that such a thing has happened. Therefore, may I humbly put forth the pithy advice that everyone heed the old object lesson of "Don't hatchet your Count before he chickens."
The word Banned appears on its profile...but its avatar is still there, which is usually a sign of a temporary ban.

The only remaining question is: for how long will we be permitted to enjoy the ensuing sanity?

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is my interpretation that Obama did indeed have political capital when he entered office, based on his popularity (analyzed best here:link), the country's receptivity to being led during the early days of the economic crisis, and a strong legislative position.

While I acknowledge all partisanship issues, I feel his approach during his first year, maybe a bit longer, was too conciliatory and did not exploit whatever advantages he had to set the right tone of his presidency. Whether he can make sufficient gains over the remainder of his term to satisfy my view of his presidency remains to be seen, but, as of now, my vote is not a lock.

It appears Obama is "obligated" by advisors to escalate the occupation/war in Afghanistan. No one really seems to know the up or down status of Iraq. Regardless, as long as Obama doesn't start yet another war, I'll vote for him in 2012. Hell, I may even vote for him twice. Maybe even three times if Iraq is stable and rebuilding by 2012.
I am not sure if advisors are to blame as much as the continued deterioration of the region. Afghanistan is really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I am not optimistic that the proposed 2011 withdrawals will be met, but I do hope for some functioning polity to arise from that quagmire.

I would love to state Obama again has my vote in 2012, but, that's not where I am at right now.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
And whatever he 'capital' he might have had he threw it ALL into health care. All of it. And now the cats he and Pelosi managed to herd for one momentous occasion have all fled.
Speaking of 'capital', he just managed to push through a long awaited Financial Overhaul bill today, the most significant since FDR. Remarkably, it got stronger the longer it was debated, and there was much less capitulation to the Republicans to avoid a filibuster this time, as there was in the Healthcare debate. Televising the final debates on CSPAN forced the obstructionists to back down in the face of public ire at the big banking and investment interests that led us to the brink of financial ruin. A big feather in Obama's cap for sure, and I think more significant than the Healthcare bill. It remains to be seen what if any effect these legislative achievements might have on the midterm elections, but at least no one can accuse the Democrats in Congress and the president of being "do nothings". The same cannot be said for the other side of the aisle, and I hope as time goes on that becomes glaringly obvious to voters.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Speaking of 'capital', he just managed to push through a long awaited Financial Overhaul bill today, the most significant since FDR. Remarkably, it got stronger the longer it was debated, and there was much less capitulation to the Republicans to avoid a filibuster this time, as there was in the Healthcare debate. Televising the final debates on CSPAN forced the obstructionists to back down in the face of public ire at the big banking and investment interests that led us to the brink of financial ruin. A big feather in Obama's cap for sure, and I think more significant than the Healthcare bill. It remains to be seen what if any effect these legislative achievements might have on the midterm elections, but at least no one can accuse the Democrats in Congress and the president of being "do nothings". The same cannot be said for the other side of the aisle, and I hope that becomes glaringly obvious to voters.

Well, since you (Sir Giant Maxcok) highjacked this "Obama doesn't deserve" thread, let me add: At least a finance bill with some teeth instead of dentures made it through the House. I believe the Senate still has to bend their tracks to match what was accomplished today. However, I did catch Barney Frank, live and in living color on CNN being interviewed by Leslie Stahl. I was impressed that, considering the hours all congressmen(women) having been putting in to reach a consensus on finance reform over the last three-four weeks (lots of 20-hour days) that both the Republicans and the Democrats showed they could (when locked in a room) actually kraft legislation that might do some good. Rep Frank was obviously sleep deprived and looking plucked (as in exhausted), but he was still able to speak intelligently and it was pleasant to hear someone (Rep or Dem) actually summarize what the House had finally accomplished after intense sessions of long-winded minutae.

I think we could use another dozen or so openly gay politicians in both the House and the Senate.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

It remains to be seen what if any effect these legislative achievements might have on the midterm elections......

As Bill Clinton said 'It's the economy stupid'. Americans want instant relief from the worst economic disaster since the Depression. I mean how long does it have to take? :rolleyes: And every economist knows it will take years to recover the millions of jobs lost. It's very likely the current ones in office will pay for not instantly fixing all this.

And yes kudos for the finance bill!

green26

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its way to early to think about 2012, alot of things can and will happen that will change people's opinions on what he has done during his time as President. I voted for him in 2008, can't say what I will do in two years, just hope that things get better.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Well, since you (Sir Giant Maxcok) highjacked this "Obama doesn't deserve" thread, let me add: At least a finance bill with some teeth instead of dentures made it through the House. I believe the Senate still has to bend their tracks to match what was accomplished today. However, I did catch Barney Frank, live and in living color on CNN being interviewed by Leslie Stahl. I was impressed that, considering the hours all congressmen(women) having been putting in to reach a consensus on finance reform over the last three-four weeks (lots of 20-hour days) that both the Republicans and the Democrats showed they could (when locked in a room) actually kraft legislation that might do some good. Rep Frank was obviously sleep deprived and looking plucked (as in exhausted), but he was still able to speak intelligently and it was pleasant to hear someone (Rep or Dem) actually summarize what the House had finally accomplished after intense sessions of long-winded minutae.

I think we could use another dozen or so openly gay politicians in both the House and the Senate.
I haven't made it through all the analysis yet, and there's no way in hell I'm gonna wade through a 2,000 page bill of financial regulations. So far I agree it falls short of what I would have hoped for, but not nearly so far short as the Healthcare Bill. Believe me, there'll be plenty of folks on Wall Street staying up all night to figure out ways to work around it (which they will) while they do shots to drown their sorrows. The bill's strongest provision may be the new Consumer Protection Agency, which should in theory be nimble enough to respond and amend the rules according to changing conditions. Overall, I think it's a great achievement, a significant piece of legislation, and a major step (back) in the right regulatory direction.

And there should be more open Homos everywhere, imho, in government and in the military.
It's been a long time coming y'all, but it's almost here.

As Bill Clinton said 'It's the economy stupid'. Americans want instant relief from the worst economic disaster since the Depression. I mean how long does it have to take? :rolleyes: And every economist knows it will take years to recover the millions of jobs lost. It's very likely the current ones in office will pay for not instantly fixing all this.

And yes kudos for the finance bill!
Actually, to give credit where credit's due, that was ol snakehead himself James Carville, Bill's campaign advisor who said that, and it's true. Maybe the malcontents can pick up their financial recovery order at the McDonald's drive-up window. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
^ Yes, at least people from both sides came together to work out something. BTW, here is a local story of the further ramifications of the Senate's failure to act:

Flood insurance program in limbo | wwltv.com | Local News (you may have to scroll down a bit to find the story).

SLIDELL, La. - "A bill died in the U.S. Senate Thursday which effective puts the national flood insurance program in limbo.

The flood Insurance program was tied to an unemployment bill, which Senate Republicans voted down. That means, for now, new flood insurance policies are not being written, and flood insurance renewals are not being allowed."