6 Small Meals a Day

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
[FONT=&quot]Do any of you very fit people eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 squares? I am just starting to do this (along with working out more and doing cardio) and am still finding myself hungry. It seems my body is still craving more food after I finish with my 500 calorie “snack”. The meals are all now very protein heavy, with little fat…doing the old whole grain breads, pastas, oatmeal thing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How long does it take the body to get used to this change? I think I can do it, but need to fight the impulse for eating more until I adjust. It’s also kind of cumbersome to do the prep. work for 6 meals, but if it sheds the pounds, I will deal with it [/FONT]J[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Comments?[/FONT]

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Def yes! When I first switched, it took a good 2-3 weeks to adjust. I felt really tired a lot and kind of hungry all the time. But, as you guessed, you get used to it. You end up being in this state of never full but never really hungry either.
There might be some interest in starting up a Get Fit Competition to give ourselves some motivation to get into better shape for spring, shedding a few winter pounds and putting on more muscle mass. PM if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop as we get it off the ground.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[FONT=&quot]Do any of you very fit people eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 squares? I am just starting to do this (along with working out more and doing cardio) and am still finding myself hungry. It seems my body is still craving more food after I finish with my 500 calorie “snack”. The meals are all now very protein heavy, with little fat…doing the old whole grain breads, pastas, oatmeal thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long does it take the body to get used to this change? I think I can do it, but need to fight the impulse for eating more until I adjust. It’s also kind of cumbersome to do the prep. work for 6 meals, but if it sheds the pounds, I will deal with it [/FONT]J[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

500 calories? Is that per meal or after a total of 6 meals? 500 calories a day seems really low, but if it's the latter, still being hungry after 3,000 calories a day seems kind of out of the ordinary.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I've read every diet ever suggested. There are two major categories: 3 squares at about 3000 calories (for an average-height fit male) to 6-8 tiny meals. Most come to between 3000 and 4000 calories a day.

Personally I can't imagine having the time to eat six times a day, even though it does make sense. I like to get in a small breakfast (because I'm not hungry at all in the morning), a mid-morning piece of fruit, lunch, an afternoon fruit, dinner, and sometimes a piece of fruit in the evening if I'm hungry.

I have been eating like this most days for over a year, working out 4-5 days a week, and I'm fit as a fiddle, so to say.

BoxersguyNJ

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
out of the six small mealls a day make 2 of the meals PROTEIN DRINK that what I have been doing since august and I find myself full , I bought a big bottle of protein powder for meal replacement, and so far I have lost 42 lbs the in-between protein drink keeps you satisfied till next meal

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Def yes! When I first switched, it took a good 2-3 weeks to adjust. I felt really tired a lot and kind of hungry all the time. But, as you guessed, you get used to it. You end up being in this state of never full but never really hungry either.
There might be some interest in starting up a Get Fit Competition to give ourselves some motivation to get into better shape for spring, shedding a few winter pounds and putting on more muscle mass. PM if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop as we get it off the ground.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the offer. I will send you a PM soon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yeah, I am already feeling the whole never hungry/never full mode. It’s funny for whatever stupid excuse, I have been in the same basic weight range (195-205) for years. Some of the questions which seem pretty elementary are pretty new to me, as I try to change my ways.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your physique is amazing! Do you have a prior post describing your eating and fitness habits?[/FONT]

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
out of the six small mealls a day make 2 of the meals PROTEIN DRINK that what I have been doing since august and I find myself full , I bought a big bottle of protein powder for meal replacement, and so far I have lost 42 lbs the in-between protein drink keeps you satisfied till next meal

That's awesome. Congrats! Do you have some before and after pics? It looks like from your photo that you are reasonably fit, but it’s blurry.

How long did it take to lose the 42 lbs? That’s great. And was it just adding in the drinks or did you also shake up your fitness routine, too?

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've read every diet ever suggested. There are two major categories: 3 squares at about 3000 calories (for an average-height fit male) to 6-8 tiny meals. Most come to between 3000 and 4000 calories a day.

Personally I can't imagine having the time to eat six times a day, even though it does make sense. I like to get in a small breakfast (because I'm not hungry at all in the morning), a mid-morning piece of fruit, lunch, an afternoon fruit, dinner, and sometimes a piece of fruit in the evening if I'm hungry.

I have been eating like this most days for over a year, working out 4-5 days a week, and I'm fit as a fiddle, so to say.

Awesome! Do you have before/after photos?

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
500 calories? Is that per meal or after a total of 6 meals? 500 calories a day seems really low, but if it's the latter, still being hungry after 3,000 calories a day seems kind of out of the ordinary.

500 calories per meal. Some of the “meals” may be snacks and might be in the 200-300 calorie range.

But what I am saying is that my body is currently expecting more food when having the meals. If I normally had a 1000 calorie square meal, my body is currently thinking that it’s getting stopped short.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What do you guys think about Muscle Milk or a similar protein shake? I have always been pretty basic when eating and working out. Thus, I have never implemented shakes or supplements into my routine.

What do you think about some energy booster before working out (Max’s Muscle or something similar) to boost workout performance?

Where I currently stand is I am going to the gym once a week (shame on me). I am doing enough to maintain a muscular physique but I clearly have a little tummy . I have a little bit of a double chin and would consider myself built like a baseball first baseman (strong, but not cut in many places). I could clearly go the gym more often, but am currently being lazy. The ironic part is I live in So. Cal. so I have no excuse.

I am reading “The Platinum Workout” by LL Cool J. Some may think it’s a little bit hokey, but why I chose LL is he is not a professional athlete and he has had an amazing body for years (I think he is 42 now). One major thing I am going to move into is circuit training to get the heartbeat jumping and to make my workouts efficient.

I rarely do cardio. It’s been a challenge of mine for years, probably some self-imposed limitation. I used to live in NYC, so I used living in the City as an excuse. I used to be active and fast as a kid and I truly enjoy many sports. I hate running, but see doing it on a treadmill as a necessary evil, though it’s been rare lately. I am going to sign up for tennis lessons next month as a good cardio outlet.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In terms of eating, I would say in the last 10 years I have been fairly careful; I just eat a ton. You would rarely find me gorging on fries, brownies or ice cream…even though I love all that shit! I would just eat tons of carbs. Picture a huge bowl of pasta with non-fat cheese or a steamed chicken dish from a Chinese restaurant with a huge portion of white rice. I also tend to eat a lot of processed meals at home because it is easy and required little work. So maybe a bowl of chicken flavored instant ramen or Lipton’s instant flavored rice with chunks of turkey deli slices.

I truly think the kind of foods won’t be a problem in the transition. I love yogurt, cottage cheese and pears. I think the portion control will be the biggest challenge, since I am used to large ones (portions, that isJ). I also hate the labor of cooking, preparing and cleaning. Call me a diva, but I am a busy professional, and see the economics of my time spent elsewhere. When I was in college and had no money, cooking was a necessary evil. And I made some tasty meals! These days, I am a busy entrepreneur and it’s all about the economics of my time. I can see the preparation of meals being a nuisance to me. I was thinking if this new style of eating becomes my lifestyle, why not have a college student or laborer come over a few times a week and prepare meals for me? Maybe pay them like $10/hr. and they can cook many meals and freeze some and put others in Tupperware, just ready to be heated. I do a decent amount of my work from home so I can be here to loosely supervise. What do you think?

My last piece is that I currently only have 1 vice related to fitness. And that’s smoking weed. Here in So Cal. it’s too easy to get and I usually blaze at the end of the night from 7PM on until bed which is about 11 or so these days. I would love to wean this down to a couple of times a week. I am good in that the munchies aren’t causing me too overeat, but it’s still affecting my energy level. I often feel lethargic in the morning or sometimes feel the need for a nap in the afternoon. It’s clearly hampered my cardio, as I feel my heart beating faster when I climb a flight of stairs and I can’t hit the treadmill as heavily as I used to. The only salvation here is that the weed smoke has really cut down on drinking. During and after college, I used to go out 3 nights a week minimum and drink tons of rum and cokes, vodka tonics and beers. Being older and having shifted priorities, I rarely get wasted and maybe average a few beers a week. So at least those calories are no longer in the mix.

Let me know what you think; I appreciate your feedback!

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
500 calories per meal. Some of the “meals” may be snacks and might be in the 200-300 calorie range.

But what I am saying is that my body is currently expecting more food when having the meals. If I normally had a 1000 calorie square meal, my body is currently thinking that it’s getting stopped short.

Ah I see.

Well, what do you mean by being fit for you? Does that mean you need to lose weight? Gain weight? Gain muscle?

If you're eating 3000 calories a day it sounds like you are trying to put on weight, but if you only go to the gym once a week, I don't think that's enough to make any real gains in terms of muscle mass. Going once a week will only maintain your physique at best. So it sounds like if your goal is to get a fit, I don't think the combination of your present workout schedule and diet will accomplish that goal.

EDIT: Also, it seems that your marijuana use might be why you still feel hungry after eating a 3,000 calorie diet per day.

sleepiboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't nessicarily eat a lot of small meals, but I stop eating until I'm full, and instead until I'm satisfied. Today I hate 8 Tacos, which got me to a satisfied point, but not full. For me, that's the key to staying healthy unless I'm in hardcore training.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'm not sure if I have any 'before' pictures, but I can definitely find some current pictures.

If you are healthy and not diabetic, your body should be able to regulate blood sugar on its own without any control over your diet.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm not sure if I have any 'before' pictures, but I can definitely find some current pictures.

If you are healthy and not diabetic, your body should be able to regulate blood sugar on its own without any control over your diet.

I'm pretty healthy and not diabetic....post those pictures, please, Mr. Fiddle:smile:

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
The OP asked about the feeling of hunger going away over time. I'm not sure that it really does. For me it is more of an issue of putting up with the feeling of deprivation and concentrating on the benefits of a leaner and more fit body.

A year and a half ago I decided that I wanted to lose 30 pounds or so and get more fit. I started working out at a gym for the first time in my life (I had run outside for brief periods over the years) and cut back on my caloric intake.

I have three meals and observe the following, not because it is particularly scientifically based but because it seems to work for me:

1) modest portions (except for breakfast I have a big bowl of whole grain cereal with a lot of fruit)

2) no seconds and no serving dishes on the table

3) only the occasional dessert

4) no snacking between meals (except occasional protein shake in association with working out)

5) not drinking calories (except for the occasional protein shake and milk in coffee)

6) trying not to allow my social life to revolve around eating

7) eating slowly and enjoying it

Over a period of a year I lost about 35 pounds and I am holding steady at my goal weight. If I creep up even a pound or so, I cut back to lose it.

There is not an appreciable difference between how I was eating when in weight-loss mode and how I am eating now in maintenance mode. It is a lifelong commitment to eating very differently than I did before.

Exercise is key. I do cardio on a treadmill 3 times a week and work on machines and free weights 3 times a week. The total of 6 hours per week is about all I can manage on a regular basis given my family life, work, and other interests. For me the changes I see in my body are very stong motivation for sticking with my program. Vanity can work to one's advantage! That, along with more energy, endurance, and a feeling of not being out of control.

Last edited:

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
After years of slowly creeping up in weight, I finally went to a nutritionist to deal with my unhealthy life style. I peaked at 242, and was unhappy.

The keys to my success ... making sure I started the day with a breakfast (I used to skip breakfast all the time) and sticking to the calorie limit imposed
Breakfast - 400 cal
Mid morning snack - 200 cal
Lunch - 450 cal
Mid afternoon snack - 200 cal
Dinner - 550 cal
Evening snack 200 cal

Get 100 g protein/day

I had to cut out as much bread, pasta, rice as possible. Lots of chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, and protein bars to get the 100 g protein/day. I've had to say goodbye to my favorite thing in the world, cheese. And then a rigorous exercise program that started at 30 min/day every day and went to 1 hour/day + weights 3 times/week.

I dropped to 210 in 2 1/2 months. I've kind of hit a plateau for the last few weeks (busy and not able to exercise as much/plus holiday treats around). Hoping to ramp up again once finals are finished and get to 200.

It took about a month to get into the diet/exercise routine for me. Yeah, I still get hungry, and I still cheat about once every two weeks. But if you can make it through about 4 weeks, it suddenly becomes a routine and not hard to stick to.

Do it. You'll be so happy with the results. I dropped 5 1/2 inches off my waist. Wearing pants I never thought I'd get into again. Do it!

Last edited:

str8nine9

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Lots of valuable info.
Intermittent Fasting and Stubborn Body Fat | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health