62-cents-a-pack increase on cigarettes

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The revenue from the tax increase, which will be used to expand coverage under the State Children's Health Insurance Program to an additional 4 million low-income children, was signed into law in February.
It calls for a 62-cents-a-pack increase, to $1.01, in federal excise taxes on cigarettes for the nation's estimated 45 million cigarette smokers as well as increases in taxes on little cigars, cigars, and pipe and chewing tobacco.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Another good reason to quit. I know a guy who has had a Y graft from his aorta down to both legs because smoking cut off circulation. He was down to 110 pounds and the prognosis was very guarded because of the possibility of blood clots with the surgery. His other option was amputation of both legs.

He has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) too. Uses an inhaler. Still says he enjoys smoking. Hmm. I don't think he enjoys it, or rather if he does believe he enjoys it it is because he is addicted. Nicotine addicts believe they enjoy their addiction just like all addicts.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
The idiots in Washington won't be able to figure out why projected revenues fell short after a lot of smokers just couldn't afford it any more.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Per the increased tax, i think that's fine as long as the revenue would be properly managed.
I have always been a social smoker but within the past year under tremendous stress got up to two packs a day.
I need to quit for my health and also the money spent for a bad result is bull shit.
I won't be spending the money to smoke anymore. But any revenue derived from such a tobacco tax needs to be well managed.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The idiots in Washington won't be able to figure out why projected revenues fell short after a lot of smokers just couldn't afford it any more.

Pecker! What a thing for you to say. You know you've been using that same unlit cigarette in your cigarette holder since 1954. :biggrin1: Revenue, indeed.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That will teach them to smoke... I wonder if the chinese are paying that on all the cigs they import from the US. Can you imagine what is to come if they would be allowed to sue the tobacco giants.

Last edited:

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The balance is that health care costs will go down as people quit smoking.
Health care problems are a real drain on families and the economy.
I once believed this too, but I was told that smokers actually die off faster requiring less long term nursing care, critical care, heart bypasses and so on. But the guy I wrote about in post #2 told me that the Veteran's Administration paid $100,000 dollars (his doctor told him that it would have cost $250,000 outside the VA) for his aortic bypass graft to save his legs, so I'm not so sure which is true.