lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_bi_in_socal

Just Browsing
Media
This doesn't surprise me... but there's another point within this rating.

Obama won with 52% of the vote.... yet he has a 68% approval rating day one. That's 16% from Republicans, Libertarians, independents and conservative whatevers that seem to be able to look past the election and give him a chance.

Coincidentally, Bush won with 48% of the vote, and came out with 54%... that's 6% from Democrats, Greens, independents and liberal whatevers that seemed to be able to look past the election and give him a chance.

Not making those numbers up, but says quite a bit about character...

It says this.

That even though we can't stand Obama and hope he dies, we hope he does a good job. And I mean that sincerely. If he's another Carter, we're all fucked. If he's another George W Bush on the other hand, we'll win the war in Afghanistan just like we've won the war in Iraq.

Then he might be considered along the greats like W

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
This is the problem when partisan hacks like lucky8 quote factoids like "Bush was at 92% in 2001..."

Guy-jin provides a fluid graph of GWB's approval ratings throughout Bush's presidency (above). This particular graph show GWB at 86% on Sept. 15, 4 days after the attacks.

Many polls were taken. This has GWB at 86%. One says 90%. Another has him at 91%. No matter. A difference of 5 or 6 percentage points isn't the issue.

The issue is: look at these same polls the week before Sept. 11. That graph linked above shows GWB with an approval rating of 51% on Sept. 10th, the day before. I've seen polling where Bush has less than 50% - the day before.

Bush's "approval" as president did not jump 40 percentage points in less than 24 hours because Bush suddenly became a great president. Bush's approval rating jumped because the country was in shock and willing to rally behind this president, any president, during a time of extreme crisis. It was a time for american solidarity.

Blockhead conservatives: Stop quoting this post-9/11 high approval rating as some sort of Bush vindication -- as some sort of achievement... Nancy Pelosi could have been president on Sept. 11, 2001 and garnered the exact same 90% approval ratings. What we're left with is this (from the graph-link above): "... his rating at the end of 2008 makes him one of the most unpopular presidents since polling began in the late 1930s."

That's what we'll remember.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wait, I'm not affiliated with any party fucker. That means I don't suck Obama's or McCain's dick. Which in turn means I am not partisan, I just see things for how they are. 3 years from now, I doubt Obama's approval rating will be above 50%, and I like the guy...and vehemently despise Bush. I hope Ron Paul lives another 4 years

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bollocks. It says 42% of the people knew it right off the bat that Bush was lame.

Bullshit. It's about being a sore loser, and instigating partisanship off the bat, and not being able to give someone a chance.

You can make up whatever hypothesis up, but it's compelling that you can get 21% of those who theoretically didn't vote for him to give a chance... vs 6% (I updated Obama's approval rating, as the OP only took one poll).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, lucky8:

Sorry if I mischaracterized you. I'm drinking a latte in the evening and the caffeine rush is making me giddy - I may be jumping to conclusions.

Hmmmmm, that sounds like a great idea for a game.

You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor, and it would have different conclusions written on it that you could jump to.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks for proving my point that early term approval ratings don't mean much. Of course the pres. is going to have a good rating early on, afterall, he did win the election

That wasn't the focus of my post.
I was merely expressing that any president would of had a high approval rating immediately after 9/11. That's because in time of crisis, a country tends to put high levels of faith into their leaders. If it was Gore and 9/11 happened, he too would of had the same kind of rating at that time.

And yes, we all know that early term approval ratings don't mean much. But it is a good sign of who may be able to make things happen. Let's check back in 100 days and see where we stand.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That wasn't the focus of my post.
I was merely expressing that any president would of had a high approval rating immediately after 9/11. That's because in time of crisis, a country tends to put high levels of faith into their leaders. If it was Gore and 9/11 happened, he too would of had the same kind of rating at that time.

And yes, we all know that early term approval ratings don't mean much. But it is a good sign of who may be able to make things happen. Let's check back in 100 days and see where we stand.

The first hundred days thing I always thought was kinda lame... because it's only policies you can laud or lambast, ya know... it's the result that should count, and pending the policy/action it will take however many days left of the 100 plus months to really see the result.

Regardless... his policies that enacts or eludes to are fair game to critique... none of this "he just got in, why are you attacking him from the get go!!!" stuff. There's been some great praise (some of it deserved IMHO) on some of the actions he's taken, so he is certainly deserved of critique. Can't have it only way.

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Right on Faceking,BinSCal, et al I stand with you---W/O Requotes
The 'mainstream media' and GWB haters are already being discounted after continuing to show their ass - as they have for the last 6 months. IMHO

Last edited:

AllHazzardi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The first hundred days thing I always thought was kinda lame... because it's only policies you can laud or lambast, ya know... it's the result that should count, and pending the policy/action it will take however many days left of the 100 plus months to really see the result.

Regardless... his policies that enacts or eludes to are fair game to critique... none of this "he just got in, why are you attacking him from the get go!!!" stuff. There's been some great praise (some of it deserved IMHO) on some of the actions he's taken, so he is certainly deserved of critique. Can't have it only way.

My sentiments exactly. For every good you do and are to be judged by, and for every good judgment received, so must exist its opposite. For every like, a dislike. For every liker, a disliker. It is in acceptance of the interplay of these two that we come to understand a greater detail and a greater potentiality.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You mean to tell me this will be the second exchange of words where we're not at each other's throats? What's happening here??!?!??!? :wink: :biggrin1:

The 100 days think is kinda ridiculous, but our society has been using that as some kind of benchmark for some time now that I've become accustomed to it. Obama is working hard to pass a lot of bills and the long term effects of these things is what we need to focus on. But it would be interesting to see what the world view of this man will be after he's been in the seat for an extensive period of time.

That's a fair assessment. If anything, I wanted most people to at least wait till he was indeed in office before we started pointing fingers. Now that he's at the controls, it's all fair game. Just as long as we can focus on the real stuff, and not the mindless rhetoric.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... we can't stand Obama and hope he dies ...

We (who is 'we'?) and hope he dies in the same sentence ... sounds like a nascent conspiracy to me. :cool:

..the greats like W

Perhaps, but a great what?

I know that you're merely trolling here; do your parents know you're on an adult website?

In terms of high expectations; Obama is walking a well trodden path, I hope he can avoid the worst of the potholes along the way. It seems to me that investing such hopes in a person may lead to the inevitable 'failures' and setbacks that befall them being judged far more harshly than might otherwise be the case - with potentially every minor misstep being touted as a spectacular fall from grace. We've seen evidence of that mindset already, barely a week out of the gate.

That said, high expectations are no bad thing, surely any nation should expect nothing else from its leaders. Delivering on those expectations being another, far more elusive measure. IMO, Obama simply hasn't been in office long enough to form more than a superficial impression of his likely long term performance, and that's what really matters, isn't it?