7.0 Earthquake hits Haiti

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is the fifth 'significant' earthquake (signif. being 6.5+) since the beginning of this year and we have'nt passed a fortnight yet. I'm going to check up at USGS as i have an interest in following quakes.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The recent 6.5 Earthquake is Cali didn't do much damage, at least it wasn't a big story on the news.

This one is devastating.

tomthelad91

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Haiti is the most impoverished nation in the Western world; I think years and years of war, disease, and the lack of a truly sovereign government and Hurricane after Hurricane destroying everything year after year are more worrying than this.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Death toll is expected to be in the hundreds.

Along with that hospital already mentioned, a presidential palace and a cathedral also collapsed.

Aftershocks are contiuing between 5-5.7 on a frequent basis as reported atm.

This is really bad. US ready to assist.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ohh Damn . I will keep the people and the animals affected by this natural disaster in my thoughts and meditations HH
Ditto

The recent 6.5 Earthquake is Cali didn't do much damage, at least it wasn't a big story on the news.

This one is devastating.
That's because in California they have been building structures to be earthquake resistant for over 70 years. In Haiti the homes are often little more than log cabins or adobe type huts. In an earthquake the resonance breaks apart mud or adobe huts. Same thing happend in that Turkish earthquake many years ago.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
this post got me to thinking about something I heard on the radio around New Years. I was soaking in the tub listening to Coast to Coast AM (as I frequently do on cold winters nights) when they had a guest on on one of the predictions shows. He said that the same energy that caused the massive quake in Indonesia
(and the subsiquent tsunomi) was going to be present this year. I am now wondering if prehaps this earthquake, along with the Cali earthquake, is a warning (if you will) of things to come in 2010.

Just a thought. God speed to the people and animals of Hati.

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
Very sad. They are in my thoughts and prayers. Haiti has so many problems to begin with. Now they have to go thru this disaster.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Death toll is expected to be in the hundreds.

Along with that hospital already mentioned, a presidential palace and a cathedral also collapsed.

Aftershocks are contiuing between 5-5.7 on a frequent basis as reported atm.

This is really bad. US ready to assist.

mitch, i would have to say the death toll will be in the tens of thousands, and maybe even hundreds of thousands.

sadly, according to reports, at least 60% of structures on the island are not built to withstand much at all, let alone one of this magnitude...

the presidential palace is well built...and look at it :frown1:

http://media.voanews.com/images/480*290/AFP+Haiti+presidential+palace+earthquake+480.jpg

i fear the absolute worst...they say bodies are "already lining the streets of the capital" (and they have barely even been able to dig out maybe 3% of the rubble so far, and this is just in Port-Au-Prince alone.

if you look at this construction in Port-Au-Prince in just a very small part of a citty that calls 2 million home, you can imagine the total disaster that we may see unfold :frown1:

http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2364&d=1253079392

http://www.theodora.com/wfb/photos/haiti/haiti00.jpg

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/images/news/2007/37052.jpg

i cannot imagine that any of those would stay up, and most would collapse on top of each other in those sections as seen in the first photo...

obviously the time of day (late afternoon) may be crucial too...if people were arriving home, or in offices and buildings at the time, it would make the disaster even worse...thank goodness it was not at night, when everyone is home in these structures.

and nobody probably is able to reach or know the extent of the damage to the interior of the country and the 7 million others living throughout...

i am sure all the hospitals have collapsed and been destroyed...i shudder to think how many of an already sick and unhealthy population will now die due to the destruction of the already inadequate health systems.

this is going to be absolutely horrific when we see its full scope.

like Indonesian Tsunami horrific :frown1:

this may be the only time when living in an earthen type hut outside of town, would have been beneficial. :frown1:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the prime minister just said that the death toll could top 100,000...1 out of every 100 people in the country. :frown1:

unimaginable, the ratio/proportion/scale...and who knows, it could rise even higher...

the equivalent would be if roughly 3.1 million americans died in one incident!

tragic

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
am i the only one who is following this?!?!?!

an entire city of 2 million is utterly destroyed...a couple million are homeless... several hundred thousand may be dead...these people have no equipment to dig out, little medical supplies, the support organizations that were there are utterly destroyed and many of them are dead...there is no clean water, no power, no electricity and night will fall soon.

3,000+ dangerous prisoners have escaped from the national penetentiary...

scorpiokc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's really really sad and gets more so as time goes on and they figure out how bad. And the aftershocks, pretty much the place is flattened I guess, like things weren't bad enough down there already.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This cant be good news for a people who eat mud pancakes. Some are estimating as many as 500,000 may have died... and that is just from the quake alone. It is very possible disease, exposure and malnutrition can claim more. All natural disasters are terrible, but they are especially terrible when it happens to people in a daily fight for survival as it is.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
indeed...i cannot imagine how many will die in the aftermath, from lack of adequate medical care...how horrifying to survive the quake, then die from injuries that could have been cared for...

this is a nightmare

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti as well and I am encouraged that the President has promised a prompt U.S. response. Let us hope assistance is immediate.

I am also hopeful that the press in their efforts at getting the information out to the rest of the word, and even in their best of intentions, treat the people of Haiti with the dignity (afforded victims of some disasters past) of not showing to the world pictures of their dead (men women and children) lying in the streets of their shattered towns.

I think too often there is a line that is crossed, between an informative yet respectful handling of those images.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now that more pictures and information is finally coming out, it looks even more horrific. Most of Port-Au-Prince looks like it will have to be leveled and rebuilt.

I know the international community will come together to help and I hope they stay after this disaster to help build Haiti to be more then the title “poorest country in the world”.

One of my sister’s work is checking with our local Red Cross on blood donations.

Last edited: