70 years ago today...

S

superbot

Great Britain declared war on Nazi Germany.Apart from the obvious, about numbers of lives lost etc,I just wonder how differently the world would be had we lost?....

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Great Britain declared war on Nazi Germany.Apart from the obvious, about numbers of lives lost etc,I just wonder how differently the world would be had we lost?....
I'm guessing there would be more blondes as well as congenital defects due to eugenics. I also think the world would be a lot less diverse. It wasn't just Jews Hitler didn't like, he wasn't crazy about blacks or people with brown skin. Imagine the world without Asians, Indians, Africans, Carribeans, South Americans.

It's not something I like to think about...but you did ask.

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
And the guy who started it all, started out by talking to the kids, getting them to report their parents if the parents didn't agree with him. Our kids get talked-to soon. We had better listen very closely to what is said to them.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Philip K Dick's (yes, really) most accessible and highly-regarded novel The Man In The High Castle is set in sixties San Fransico in a United States that was on the losing side in the second world war and is occupied by the Germans and Japanese (who are conducting a Cold War against eachother) on opposite coasts, with a small independent zone in the middle.

It's a rich, complex and enthralling read.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And the guy who started it all, started out by talking to the kids, getting them to report their parents if the parents didn't agree with him. Our kids get talked-to soon. We had better listen very closely to what is said to them.
That was almost clever how you invoked Hitler without actually stating his name. :rolleyes: :mad:
Godwin’s Law Comes to the Town Halls

Godwin’s Law has the health care debate in a hammerlock.
Back in 1990, when the Internet primarily meant user conversations — sometimes helpful, other times extremely vitriolic — on discussion boards known as Usenet, Mike Godwin composed the law that now bears his name: “As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”

It would have been far more intriguing if the UK had never declared war at all. The treaty with Poland was pretty bad. The UK had no way to defend Poland nor could Poland even defend itself. In hindsight, that treaty was a mistake. It would have been far better to make a treaty with France and the low countries because Hitler didn't really want them. Germany could have moved into Poland and other eastern European countries, creating his Lebensraum, while the rest of the west stayed relatively safe. There may never have been a war for the UK or the rest of western Europe were it not for Poland. It may even have been possible to create a treaty with Germany agreeing to create a Jewish homeland in Israel rather than implementing the Final Solution. It may even have allowed the Soviets more time to prepare for German invasion.

I could see events playing out much like they did in the Cold War. Whether Hitler would have been satisfied, of even in power by the time he had taken all of eastern Europe, I don't know. It's hard to judge the actions of nations when they're in the hands of a single person. It's much easier to predict the actions of governments with greater balances of power.

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im glad you posted this because WWII has always fascinated me and I usually remember certain dates (December 16th, June 6th, December 7th, etc.) but had completely forgotten about this one. It's a good post and should lend itself to some interesting thoughts (already has) but I think the whole "what if something in history had happened differently" hypothetical question is misleading and sort of a fallacy of logic. What I mean is that there are many different variables that contribute to an event unfolding in a certain way. Its not simply a matter of Germany winning certain battles and successfully occupying England; this also requires different situations in America, Canada, France, Australia, Russia, and every other country that was involved. Also, the very nature and ethos of Nazi Germany inevitably led to its own downfall, and its unlikely that this ideology would have halted its way of thinking simply because it had defeated Great Britain. The asshole Nazis would have still been asshole Nazis and would have done all the things they did to other peoples and countries as well. In other words, if the Battle of Britain had been lost, and a German invasion succeffully undertaken, Germany would have still had to have dealt with Russia, who in reality could have beat the Germans single-handedly. People seem to really have this illusion (even to this day) of how great the Wermacht was...But if you piss off enough people, it doesn't matter how many tanks or planes you have; you will soon be outnumbered and doomed to destruction. Also, if you look back at alot of the battles, you realize how stupid some of the moves they made were and how Hitler was in reality the Allies' greatest ally. It takes a special kind of moron to lose an entire army group to encirclement trying to take a city in the dead of the Russian winter simply because its named after the other country's leader.

Being an American, another thing I hear alot is how "we bailed out the Brits in WWII". This is complete bullshit. People don't give the British enough credit for a very good (and large) army, a comparable if not better navy, a far superior (proven in battle) air force, superior technology (radar), and, most importantly, the will to fight to the end. Even if the Germans had invaded England, they would never have held it (take France, Holland, Belgium, et al, as an example). In war; its very easy to take a piece of land, its not always so easy to hold it though if the people don't want you there. For a fictional representation of this read The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck. For a real world example; see Vietnam.

Anyway you slice it, theres no real way that Germany could have ever won the war

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
We did lose the war in a sense to Japan , because of the monetary invasion they have been doing since the 50's. Can you recall when "made in Japan" was kind of a joke? Now "made in America" is a punchline outside of the USA. The car, radios, computers, hardware, video games....

And biologists have long complained about Japanese beetles and Honeysuckle.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im glad you posted this because WWII has always fascinated me and I usually remember certain dates (December 16th, June 6th, December 7th, etc.) but had completely forgotten about this one. It's a good post and should lend itself to some interesting thoughts (already has) but I think the whole "what if something in history had happened differently" hypothetical question is misleading and sort of a fallacy of logic. What I mean is that there are many different variables that contribute to an event unfolding in a certain way. Its not simply a matter of Germany winning certain battles and successfully occupying England; this also requires different situations in America, Canada, France, Australia, Russia, and every other country that was involved. Also, the very nature and ethos of Nazi Germany inevitably led to its own downfall, and its unlikely that this ideology would have halted its way of thinking simply because it had defeated Great Britain. The asshole Nazis would have still been asshole Nazis and would have done all the things they did to other peoples and countries as well. In other words, if the Battle of Britain had been lost, and a German invasion succeffully undertaken, Germany would have still had to have dealt with Russia, who in reality could have beat the Germans single-handedly. People seem to really have this illusion (even to this day) of how great the Wermacht was...But if you piss off enough people, it doesn't matter how many tanks or planes you have; you will soon be outnumbered and doomed to destruction. Also, if you look back at alot of the battles, you realize how stupid some of the moves they made were and how Hitler was in reality the Allies' greatest ally. It takes a special kind of moron to lose an entire army group to encirclement trying to take a city in the dead of the Russian winter simply because its named after the other country's leader.

Being an American, another thing I hear alot is how "we bailed out the Brits in WWII". This is complete bullshit. People don't give the British enough credit for a very good (and large) army, a comparable if not better navy, a far superior (proven in battle) air force, superior technology (radar), and, most importantly, the will to fight to the end. Even if the Germans had invaded England, they would never have held it (take France, Holland, Belgium, et al, as an example). In war; its very easy to take a piece of land, its not always so easy to hold it though if the people don't want you there. For a fictional representation of this read The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck. For a real world example; see Vietnam.

Anyway you slice it, theres no real way that Germany could have ever won the war

Yes, Britain and the Commonwealth (Australia, Canada, New Zealand et al) had stalemated Hitler, and the German high command knew that they could not successfully invade Britain. American manpower and industrial capacity tipped the balance. It's unlikely that Germany could have been forced into unconditional surrender without those factors; there would likely have been a negotiated peace. Other than Australia and New Zealand, there was little non-American involvement in the pacific theatre, AFAIK.

Last edited: