8.0 Earthquake Hits Peru

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know we have a few members from Brazil and other parts of South America. Do we have anybody in Peru? Have we heard from them in the last 24 hours?

I'm hoping nobody lost family or friends in this devastating natural disaster. :frown1:

Contributions: Peru: Earthquake - Aug 2007, Peru: Earthquake Fact Sheet #1, Fiscal Year (FY) 2007, 17 Aug 2007, Situation Reports: Peru: Earthquake - Aug 2007, Peru: Earthquake Fact Sheet #1, Fiscal Year (FY) 2007, 17 Aug 2007

Peru coast hit by powerful aftershock
A powerful aftershock measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale struck the southern coast of Peru this morning, as residents struggled to recover from Wednesday's earthquake in which at least 510 people died.

Peru's president appealed for calm after outbreaks of looting in the worst affected areas. Survivors desperate for food and water ransacked a public market while other mobs looted a refrigerated trailer and blocked aid trucks on the Panamerican highway. Many people are living on the streets because they fear that their homes will collapse.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
The news media hasn't seemed to give out too many details. I don't know if it is because of lack of communication or what. But nonetheless, I was expecting more coverage considering the severity of this natural disaster. I guess Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton are more important.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The news media hasn't seemed to give out too many details. I don't know if it is because of lack of communication or what. But nonetheless, I was expecting more coverage considering the severity of this natural disaster. I guess Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton are more important.

I thought the lack of information is because most communication towers were destroyed in the earthquake. Plus due to all the crumbled buildings and roads, I'm guessing getting there is difficult. I have no idea what condition their airport is in now.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay