81st Annual Academy Awards

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
sorry i was harsh about "dark knight". true, i didn't really like it. but,
i loved the scene when heath ledger sticks his head out the window of the vehicle (like
a crazy dog), it's probably worth the price of admission just for that shot, and the
scene in the hospital w/ the joker (ledger) as the nurse. the action scenes, we've seen that
all before. "wanted" and all the "bourne" films have innovative action scenes in my opinion.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I watched "Doubt" last night and really enjoyed it. I thought that Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Viola Davis all deserve their nominations. Streep was amazing, she was totally believable and convincing within about 10 seconds of being on screen.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
flame boy: I loved Viola Davis too. She's in the movie for basically just that one long scene with Meryl Streep (about 11 minutes of screentime) and she's totally fascinating to watch. She won't win, but she completely deserves that nomination (in other words, the Academy didn't just toss her in as an "affirmative action" nominee; to "diversify" the list).

She talks about her kid's "nature" and how the other kids bullied and teased him at the previous school ... & implied that he's shown homosexual tendencies -- and how the attention he's getting from the priest - even if it's sexual - is fine by her because the kid likes the priest and his father is beating him blind.... I don't know - this whole other level of provocative subtext just made the movie start to come alive.... I love moral ambiguity.

This woman's a really interesting, subtle choice for supporting actress.

Last edited:

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So nice to read a similliar opinion...

I was totally baffled by Gump as well...and couldn't agree more about Button (a film I have no desire to see OR rent....).

Greaaaat pretty boy gets a bunch of cutesy effect and has to 'work for his art'...yawwwwwwnnnn...

maybe ONE year one of the top GROSSING films will be nominated, and maybe one year NO ONE outside of CA will watch the Oscars and the academy will (finally?) put 2 and 2 together... (er for best picture)

has anyone seen The Wrestler yet? looks...interesting...

quote=willtom27;1949796]
I never got around to seeing "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". It looks over-produced in that cheesy "Forrest Gump" way (a movie I loathed). It almost looks constructed to be an Academy Award-winning, touching, gooey, lush, impeccable era-spanning epic. This is just my instinct/first impression after being assaulted by the sentimental previews.[/quote]

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Doubt is another film as wonderful as the 'acting' looks, I have zero desire to see it...

can someone talk me into it?

as to Dark Knight- I was NOT expecting to like it....at all. and was totally blown away by it- I grew up reading batman (so knew what was coming with the Harvey Dent character)....yet was so totally sucked in with the 'what is a mask/hero/villiain' idea that I was well, enthralled.

(another movie like that for me was Ghost and Pretty Woman- if EVERYONE!!!! likes it!!! I tend to be very leery...)

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
is there entertainment during the OScars, the last 2 awards shows were hardly worth watching. DRY

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
is there entertainment during the OScars, the last 2 awards shows were hardly worth watching. DRY

Well theyve not even got a comedian hosting this year...just Hugh Jackman. He's likeable, lickable too, but Im not sure if he has any experience carrying such a huge show.

Oh well, there's always the dresses...lets pray theyre bad...like, really bad!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK
Here is what I wish would happen
Best Actor Sean Penn
Best Actress Angelina Jolie
Best Supporting Actor Michael Shannon
Best Supporting Actress Penelope Cruz tied with Viola Davis
Best Picture Slum Dog Millionaire

Here is what I think is going to happen

Best Actor Mickey Rourke
Best Actress Kate Winslet
Best Supporting Actor Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actress Taraji Hensen
Best Picture Slum Dog Millionaire

All this angst for a gold plated statue!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well I did see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I (we) thought the movie was quite good, much better than expected.... Visually lyrical, an interestingly touching study of people, life, circumstance, love (and time) lost, growing old, and the fleetingness of it all.

Of course I might be biased, considering we, in watching this movie, felt all too connected to the events in which this is set, the backdrop locations being all too familiar (and surprising - how certain images towards the movie's end brought tears to the eyes...)

But that's neither here nor there. The movie (contrary to some earlier impressions suggested above) was not "Forrest Gumpy" in any way (imo). And in spite of the unusual premise, it was an interesting study in humanity and certainly Oscar-worthy.

Dark Knight was the best of the Batman movies and though Ledger's performance was (imo) an Oscar-winning one (because of his quite chilling protrayal of a character so whimsically presented in past renditions), the movie itself did fall short in some areas. That whole blowing up the hospital bit...could have been left on the editing room floor (imo).

S

superbot

I've seen "Milk" (great performances from Sean Penn, Josh Brolin and James Franco). It's a mainstream film, yet Gus Van Sant keeps it artful and indie at the same time. It's interesting to look at all the way through. As a "gay movie", I liked it more than "Brokeback Mountain".

I think I'm the only guy I know who disliked "Slumdog Millionaire". Loud, bombastic music. Frenetic editing. That freaking movie was oppressive to watch and beat me into submission. I resented this film. It felt like some loudmouthed boor shouted at me and slapped me around for two hours.

"Frost/Nixon" is all talk. A complete dialogue film. But I enjoyed it. It's a decent political movie and Frank Langella is a towering, stunning Richard Nixon. He's bigger than life and quirky and really fills up that role nicely.

I never got around to seeing "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". It looks over-produced in that cheesy "Forrest Gump" way (a movie I loathed). It almost looks constructed to be an Academy Award-winning, touching, gooey, lush, impeccable era-spanning epic. This is just my instinct/first impression after being assaulted by the sentimental previews.
Don't give up the day job!!

slate_australis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Should Win/Will Win

Picture: Milk /Slumdog Millionaire(although I liked Slumdog)

Director: Boyle/Boyle

Actor: Penn/Penn (Rourke was very good and could easily win)

Actress: Hathaway/Winslet (i thought Kate was better in Rev. Road)

S'Actor: Ledger/Ledger

S'Actress: Davis/Cruz (this one could be the real shocker)

Main Prediction
--------
Slumdog Millionaire - Pic, Dir, A/Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Score, Song.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Best actor......Mickey Rourke
Best actress...Kate Winslet
Supp actor.....Heath Ledger
Supp actress..Penelope Cruz
Film..............Slumdog
Director.........Danny Boyle

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
And the award goes to....

(Notes from this thread. Before we open up the envelope)

Xcuze: (4 weeks ago) "Mickey Rourke & Heath are dead certs..." (to win best actor)

willtom: (4 weeks ago) "I would bet money Mickey Rourke won't win for "The Wrestler". His winning the Golden Globe was considered a kind of deserved fluke (for a good performance). The Academy voters will think that's enough for him and give the Oscar to Sean Penn for "Milk". (There is some politicking going on here -- since "Milk" will not win Best Picture or director, which will almost certainly go to "Slumdog", and since the Academy loved "Milk", and since Mickey Rourke was already honored for his obscure film, Sean Penn will win another Academy Award for a brilliant role unlike anything he's played before)."

Xcuze: (4 weeks ago) "Well I disagree. I think Rourke will win. He's this years comeback kid... Sean's always had a snooty attitude to the Oscars & Im not sure he's been forgiven enough to win just yet."

willtom: (3 weeks ago) "Sean Penn won last night's SAG award for lead actor, a fair indicator of where the Academy's head is at (just as the Directors Guilld Award is a pretty odds-on indicator of which director will take home the Academy's directing award)."
"

Xcuze: (3 weeks ago) "I still think Mickey will win."

--------------------

Xcuze, I am certainly not one to say "I TOLD YOU SO!".

(that would be very childish of me...& I am plainly above such antics....)

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And the award goes to....

(Notes from this thread. Before we open up the envelope)

Xcuze: (4 weeks ago) "Mickey Rourke & Heath are dead certs..." (to win best actor)

willtom: (4 weeks ago) "I would bet money Mickey Rourke won't win for "The Wrestler". His winning the Golden Globe was considered a kind of deserved fluke (for a good performance). The Academy voters will think that's enough for him and give the Oscar to Sean Penn for "Milk". (There is some politicking going on here -- since "Milk" will not win Best Picture or director, which will almost certainly go to "Slumdog", and since the Academy loved "Milk", and since Mickey Rourke was already honored for his obscure film, Sean Penn will win another Academy Award for a brilliant role unlike anything he's played before)."

Xcuze: (4 weeks ago) "Well I disagree. I think Rourke will win. He's this years comeback kid... Sean's always had a snooty attitude to the Oscars & Im not sure he's been forgiven enough to win just yet."

willtom: (3 weeks ago) "Sean Penn won last night's SAG award for lead actor, a fair indicator of where the Academy's head is at (just as the Directors Guilld Award is a pretty odds-on indicator of which director will take home the Academy's directing award)."
"

Xcuze: (3 weeks ago) "I still think Mickey will win."

--------------------

Xcuze, I am certainly not one to say "I TOLD YOU SO!".

(that would be very childish of me...& I am plainly above such antics....)

How can you be so brutal on someone who admitted not watching the films in competition? He did a fucking great job selecting the opinions of the critics who count.

slate_australis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Should Win/Will Win

Picture: Milk /Slumdog Millionaire(although I liked Slumdog)

Director: Boyle/Boyle

Actor: Penn/Penn (Rourke was very good and could easily win)

Actress: Hathaway/Winslet (i thought Kate was better in Rev. Road)

S'Actor: Ledger/Ledger

S'Actress: Davis/Cruz (this one could be the real shocker)

Oh yeah.