84% of americans hate their jobs

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The pay and benefits of the job I have are decent, I guess I'm what you'd call cash rich, I can afford some indulgences (but then I've also made a lot of sacrifices along the way for a lot of those indulgences too with "rainy day saving"), but not the $ 300K mortgage. In that case. I can eat well, pay my bills and stay in the apartment lifestyle it affords, but as for having a house and still being able to save/invest for the comfortable retirement, this paycheck won't get me there. I've done as well as I could have considering the opportunities I was presented with. In some cases it's been better than what others have had, but at least equally, it's not nearly as good at what others have been offered.

It's hard to love your job when you see others working only 2 days a week and wind up better off. Especially when you are there 5 days a week, do gratis weekend and evening work. Part of me is thankful for having it as good as I do have it (because there is always worse), but another part of me is disappointed because the one that is significantly better off than myself probably low balled & cheated me out along the way, which is probably why they aren't there more than a couple of days during the week ? All you have to do is work a few temp jobs in accounting and payroll to see the disparity. Trust me, I've seen bi-weekly's that simply have me scratching my head what exactly these people have ever done to be paid that above and beyond what others make ?

visualalert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hate the job, but I have great pay & benefits that I'd have a hard time duplicating if I went out on the market. So I suck it up as best I can. I've had a lot of jobs in my life and all of them had at least one aspect I really didn't like.

Take comfort from Dilbert (paraphrasing Scott Adams): "The reason they call it work is that if this were something you really liked to do, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it."

I did have to laugh at one comment from someone who said he'd do his job for free because it's so personally rewarding. Sure he would. Right up until the next utility bill arrived in the mail.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I like my job just fine. Like my boss a lot, he's a really good guy.

Now I hate those in corporate. Their stupidity just astounds me. They've all gone to the "finest business schools", yet seem to have missed the course on hot to actually run a business in the real world.

Because of that, I'm looking to remove them from their positions, or just find another job.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like the industry I am in. Too much, probably. I'm switching fields though, and I expect to be even happier this next go-round. I hate working for other people, though. I'm jaded to a point where I'm probably unemployable. I just have to fool someone into believing otherwise while I get the experience I'm going to need to succeed. I

t's been at least 8 years since I had a job I didn't like. Also, when I didn't like my job, it was more like I didn't like my employer, and the job itself was fine. Life is too short to spend a third of it doing something you hate.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have liked all of my jobs for the most part, except for the stupidity of senior management. Now I am co-owner of a company that I and my business partner started up a few years ago. After this I could never ever go back to working for someone else, even though the startup has been an emotional rollercoaster and I have never worked so much in my life as this.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i love how you guys are rubbing your great jobs in our faces, lol. wish it were as easy as finding a job you love and then automatically getting along with co-workers, your boss being fair and appreciative of what you do, and making enough to pay for $19 a gallon gas. somebody's gotta sweep the popcorn up at the movie theater or re-stock the shelves at the grocery store and work the window at the fast food joint. i think its fair to say these jobs barely compensate for some of the situations you're subject to (especially since its common practice to hire you for part-time, then work you full time hours without having to give benefits)

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i love how you guys are rubbing your great jobs in our faces, lol. wish it were as easy as finding a job you love and then automatically getting along with co-workers, your boss being fair and appreciative of what you do, and making enough to pay for $19 a gallon gas. somebody's gotta sweep the popcorn up at the movie theater or re-stock the shelves at the grocery store and work the window at the fast food joint. i think its fair to say these jobs barely compensate for some of the situations you're subject to (especially since its common practice to hire you for part-time, then work you full time hours without having to give benefits)

I don't make tons of money, but I did decide to stick to this industry for this long. We all make decisions. does someone have to stock shelves, and sweep popcorn? Absolutely! Does that someone have to be me? Not tonight. If you stock shelves, and you hate it, try something else. If you don't like selling cars, trading stocks, drugging old people, or whatever you do for a living, change it. do what I did when I wondered what more there could be: Take out a gigantic loan and go back to school! Start over! In this world, as long as we don't have children to consider first, we get to choose our fates (and let's not forget we can choose not to have children too). If you're unhappy, figure out why, and do something about it.

Really? 84% of Americans hate their jobs? Not my problem. I want more money, and more sunlight, and more face-to-face time with other people, so I'm switching paths. AND I ACTUALLY LIKE MY WORK! So if these people are so unhappy they can do something about it, and I don't feel a bit sorry for them!

9incharkansasdick

Experimental Member
Media
I am a chef and I love what I do. I am paid sufficiently to live the life I want to live. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. My hours are horrible, but that comes with the job. I have been employed since I was 12 years old.

The absolute worst job I ever had was cutting the buttholes out of chickens and pulling their guts out. Life in a processing plant really sucks. But hey, I can gut a chicken quicker than almost anyone...ha!

christina

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In this world, as long as we don't have children to consider first, we get to choose our fates (and let's not forget we can choose not to have children too). If you're unhappy, figure out why, and do something about it.

wow excuse you! i do have children and you can bet ur bottom dollar ass that i do choose my fate. I work full time and go to school full time makin our lives better. oh and btw i do have a great job that pays great and has awsome benifits and after i finish with BS then i get another promotion.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like the job I do currently, but there is a problem - several problems, actually. First and foremost, it is a STRICTLY temporary job. There is no way it will ever turn into anything permanent. It's just temporary seasonal projects. And of course, being temporary, there are no benefits. And I'd like more pay, although the pay has gone up some in this job.

I'm looking for an IT job (permanent) but I've had difficulty in the past with my skill level not being high enough for the job, AFTER they hired me! While I'm going to be working on improving my skill level (taking classes and such) I also need a way of paying the bills in the meantime. So I'm hoping there are enough temp projects to last me a while, or that I get one of the IT jobs I'm being considered for and that they are not above my skill level.

And, it is not a problem with ME personally. I do really well at my temp job, and my other seasonal job that just ended, they asked me back to work there again next year. So it's purely a problem with the skill level for the IT jobs, and I will be working to improve that.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In this world, as long as we don't have children to consider first, we get to choose our fates (and let's not forget we can choose not to have children too). If you're unhappy, figure out why, and do something about it.

wow excuse you! i do have children and you can bet ur bottom dollar ass that i do choose my fate. I work full time and go to school full time makin our lives better. oh and btw i do have a great job that pays great and has awsome benifits and after i finish with BS then i get another promotion.

Hello! Did you actually read this thread? Did you read the post i quoted to figure out the context of my words? Is English perhaps not your first language? I try not to assume. I do not, however, need to be excused. Excuse yourself, Miss.

It's wonderful that you are so in control of your path in life. If you first considered your children, and then decided that this was best for your whole family, and are able to make it work, that's great. I'm genuinely happy for you. Many other parents do not find themselves in a position to work full time and go to school full time. I was trying not to presume that all people could simply drop everything and start their professional lives over because all parents SHOULD put the well-being of their children first, and if they have decent wages, and excellent benefits, perhaps it's in the best interest of their children that these individuals put off professional fulfillment until after Judy gets braces, or until after Ryan's tuition is paid. Then again perhaps not. My post was one in which I was trying not to make unfair assumptions about parents, while holding people responsible for holding down jobs they hate.
  • You do not hate your job, so my words don't apply to you.
  • You are able to make the changes in your professional life that you wish, so my words do not apply to you.
  • 30+ hours of work, 12+ hours of school and 12+ hours of study time don't leave many hours for your children. Maybe the rules apply to you after all.
Now if you failed to read the thread, failed to read my post in context, or (as your grammar and spelling suggest) if English is not your primary language, than I hope I've been able to clarify myself for you. I don't see how my original post, in context, could have offended you.

If on the other hand you're just a self-congratulatory bitch, you can kiss my (How did you put it?) "bottom dollar ass"!

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
aside from being a student, i have two jobs: office bitch and elementary tutor.

working in an office setting for going-on three years has made me realize i never want to go back to work in an office after i finish my BA. it's boring, unchallenging, repetitive, there's no room for growth, and it makes me feel like a robot. (plus i hate papercuts and annoying customers!) i've only stuck around because my hours are flexible and it works around my school schedule and my other job. i'm planning to quit after i make 3 years in july.

on the other hand, i do love my tutoring job! after i graduate college i want to work in public education so this lets me get a feel of working with students and parents. i have a great group of kids and working with them is the most rewarding experience. the only part which sucks is that my boss never informs me of any changes or deadlines.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes, I hate my job. I'm overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, and have had to cope with several difficult supervisors over the years. Plus the job is boring, repetitive, and stressful, and there's little opportunity for advancement.

one of my high school teachers used to say:

"one of the best things that you can do is to do what you love and find somebody to pay you for it"

I agree in theory. The problem is that I've never loved doing anything.

...If you really, really hate your job... why the hell are you working there?!

Because I can't imagine a job that I would enjoy, so I've made no effort to leave the job that I have.

...If you don't like...whatever you do for a living, change it. do what I did when I wondered what more there could be: Take out a gigantic loan and go back to school! Start over!

I've thought of that, but I just can't go back to being a poor, starving student again. If I were married and my spouse were willing to be the breadwinner while I went back to school...but I'm not so that's moot.

A few years ago I took a class at the local university. I hated being a student again. I hated studying, I hated homework, and I hated doing research and writing papers, and I hated working on the final project for the class. That doesn't bode well for any plan to go back to school.

Also, if I were to go back to school I'd have to know what I wanted to go back to school for, which I don't.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because I can't imagine a job that I would enjoy, so I've made no effort to leave the job that I have.

There is nothing you ever liked doing? No hobby? No interest you ever pursued? You'd be amazed at what a little creativity can turn into a financial opportunity. If there truly is zero in your life that has ever been pleasant, you have way bigger problems than lack of job satisfaction. I'd hope you'd seek outside counsel. No one's life should be miserable and lackluster.