9-11 Anniversary

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I got a message from the University of Kentucky president, Dr. Lee T. Todd, Jr., who informed the campus community that bells will toll at the times the planes crashed into the various sites and at the moment the towers fell.

Several volunteer projects are going on today within the community. If anything, we're urged to help support each other especially if someone may have lost a loved one on that fateful day.

What are your guys' plans?

jdoe86

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Sorry, I feel for the families of the victims of 9-11. But I have to get on with my life and not dwell on it. The bad part of it was that I really don't remember 9-11. A little background. I hurt my shoulder and was on major drugs. The months of Aug. and Sept. were a haze. So all I do remember was a bad dream that I woke up from in Oct. Again...I feel for the families...

Javierdude22: Well, on the other end of the ocean, there is not much we can do. It ha had a huge impact here as well though, and I am sure many people will think a lot about it.

I remember the friday after the attacks, at my job in the University cantine, there was a national 3 minute silence for the victims. It was so weird. 11.59 a bustling cantine, 12.00...complete and utter silence, and my lady co-worker crying. It left me with quite the impression.

There will be numerous televisionprograms on what happened and the aftermath tonight though.

sammygirly: This tragedy is very near to all our hearts, even those of us in Canada - but for me, especially so for my Maximillian who was one of the people who happened to be nearby when it happened, and someone who joined the fray of people involved in doing anything they could in the chaos to help until they were unable to help any longer.

It is something none of us will ever forget in our lifetimes I daresay. We shall always be haunted by the visuals. For Him, they are especially vivid.

I will be remembering and keeping everyone involved in my thoughts today.

God Bless America

inquiringmind: Hi,
I will never forget that morning.I work in DC, and had a direct view of the Pentagon. Not being far from the WHite House or the Capital it was pretty awsome to hear figher jets whizzing back and forth over my building. They told us to stay inside but people were running down the streets and traffic was stopped. I remember group of us just came up to my office and watched Julie Taymor's "Titus Andronicus". Friends lost family in NY and in DC . One of my neighbors went down in the Pentagon .She was on the plane that went into the side of the building. Another friend said they had just talked to her brother ( who was on the 111th floor) and then nothing .Miraculously, they found his body totally intact as if he had just gone to sleep. Luckily, just that previous weekend the family had all gone down to their beach house and spent time together. It has really changed everyone's lives.

Inquiring mind

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a dear friend who lost his lover 9/11, so my thoughts and prayers often have been with him today.
Last year on this anniversary, I sang the Mozart Requim in the world's rolling performance, Memphis Symphony rendention, with his lover's name pinned to my tux jacket. Yeah, I'm sentimental!

prepstudinsc: I was just in NYC last week, the first time I had been up there since 9/11. I went to Ground Zero and the amazing stillness there is what amazed me. The place is chilling and brought tears to my eyes. What really bothered me, though, are the stands of people selling t-shirts across the street from the site. Yes, I am proud to be American and yes, we need our pride, but selling cheap souvenirs at the site of a major disaster just reeks of American tackiness and tactlesness at its peak.
I am glad that I had the opportunity to visit the site and spend some time there reflecting on things.

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

I live too far away to be involved as having personal recollections from 9-11-2001 America. But the event grabbed my back... I found out 1 day later that the uncle of an American guy, that was my partner in an NGO project during the 2001 summer, was the regular pilot of the second plane.
Life plays a lot of games with me...

GreenEyes: Wasn't a good day for me but I managed. It was more difficult for me this year than last year and I am not sure why. A lot of different emotions but the one I know is I have to move forward. Nothing will change what has happened.

It is like you need to remember it and be a part of some sort of service but at the same time I would rather have stayed under my covers the whole day and slept.

To anybody who lived through it or lost a loved one I hope and pray that things have gotten a little bit easier for you.