99% Straight = Gay?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_bi_mmf, Apr 27, 2011.

1. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

It is nice that Rob has instituted a temporary way for separating photos of women and men.

However, within the men, he has done something strange. He has separated out one group consisting of those guys who characterize themselves as 100% straight; these he labels as "Straight Men Only". All of the other men he has put into a single category and has labeled them as "Gay Men Only." This latter group even includes guys who characterize themselves as 99% straight and those who choose not to declare percentages!

This categorization is unfortunate. It plays in to a cultural stereotype that any guy who admits to being even slightly open to same-sex attraction warrants the label "gay."

2. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not that he warrents the label gay simply that he doesnt warrent the label "straight"

There are as many titles and classification as there are people

3. lucidbass

lucidbass New Member

But I was pretty damn certain I was straight? Oh wells. Well then, step aside ladies, I like dicks now!

4. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

But don't you think that most guys who characterize themselves as 99% straight here probably would prefer to have their pics classified under "Straight Men Only" rather than under "Gay Men Only"?

5. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Probably. But nothing is stopping them from changing their status to 100%. 1% really isnt all that important is it?

6. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

this is obviously a political stance, rather than one of classification.

Logically, if there is a set separating those who self identify as 100% straight as the only set qualifying as 'straight' ... then there should be the same qualification of only those claiming 100% gay as qualifying as "gay".
    That would leave the vast majority claiming some admixture out of both sets....

but it is disingenuous, or plain ignorant, to make being straight an absolute and being gay a widely inclusive gray zone.

Either treat both extremes as extremes... or admit that you have a belief set that anyone professing the slightest degree of bisexuality is "kidding themselves" and is really gay but have not come to grips with it yet ( a popular myth in the gay activist community that seeks to include larger numbers of men on their "team" ). The latter option is actually professing an agenda... so cop to it.

But, if you are going to create sets... then you should apply the same standards to both polar extremes.
    (i.e. 50% or more gay is in the gay set, 50% or more straight in the straight set.... OR, a gay, a straight, and a bisexual set)

Bisexuality is not only real... it is by far the closest we come as a species to a "norm".

7. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

That myth is also very popular in the "straight" community.

8. eeson

eeson New Member

It's a shame he had to separate them. One of the things that initially drew me to this site many moons ago was how nice it was just for guys to chat/message/comment without about sex without having to fall into one camp or the other. It is just guys (& some girls) talking about sex freely because there are no labels on it!!

Is this the beginning of the end? Will be pigeon holed until all the things we liked about LPSG are unrecognisable?

9. laser90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have to agree, I don't see the need to separate profiles based on sexuality. I left that section blank and was put in the gay section...so gay must be the defult setting!

not sure why we need it since.......everyone knows you can just tell by looking at a cock if it's straight or gay!

#9 laser90, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. pomaz59

pomaz59 Member

actually, i don't really care if LPSG considers me as gay, because the chances that i'll meet and hook up with a girl here is almost zero. i think. not only because the vast majority of the members seem to be men, but also because i'm from central europe and i won't travel to the US just to get a nice blowjob :biggrin1:

but i wanted to reflect on what you said. personally, i had two reasons why i chose to be 1% gay:

1. because i love to watch pictures of hard cocks. i wouldn't touch one (besides mine) and i don't have fantasies about having sex with men.

2. although i consider myself 100% straight, this 1% should somehow communicate to the world, that i'm open minded and don't have anything against gay people. (with that i don't want to say that the 100% straight guys have something against gay people, i just think you are more "obviously" open minded if you put that little one percent there :smile: )

thats me. i wont change my status to 100%. but again, i don't care whether my pictures are in the srtaight or in the gay section :smile:

11. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    (As a member, not a mod, admin or Rob's lapdog!)

Take a look around the site for a second... It is littered with 100% straight men trying to hook up in the chat room with other men, 100% straight men posting about how straight they are, even though they're spending their evenings with their best mates cock in their mouths.

Now I couldn't care less if I tried about how they wish to label themselves, or what they consider straight/gay, but it is somewhat misleading when it comes to making the call as to where to draw the line gallery wise.

(In general)

I think it is safe to say that the majority of gay men aren't interested in viewing the female galleries.

I think it is safe to assume (though we have no verified ones) that the gay women aren't interested in viewing the male galleries.

I think it is safe to assume that bi-sexual men/women don't really care which galleries they're viewing.

I think it is safe to assume that gay men are interested in looking at men, regardless of their sexuality.

I think it is safe to assume that if any group within the forum is going to have an issue with comments from other men, it is likely to be those within the 100% straight group.

I think it is safe to assume that while MOST people aren't going to run screaming around the room at the sight of male on male gallery activity, if anyone is going to get pissy about it showing up in the straight group, it's going to be the 100% straights. (You should see the number of complaints, quite rude ones at times that come in about anything even slightly, possibly, maybe, if you squint and have had lots to drink, gay found in the straight adult websites section!)

I think it is safe to assume that not everyone is as clear cut as the next, and in the grand scheme of things, for these purposes, put themselves in the wrong percentage.

I think it is safe to assume, that unless reported, I'll not be looking at any of them!

So while I agree that the groupings aren't perfect, and I agree that 99% straight does not a gay person make, it is the most logical solution to keeping the content grouped as accurately as possible, without requesting that Rob either:

1. Demand everyone display a percentage
    2. The percentage be based solely upon the images within their gallery (if they have one)
    3. That they change their percentage should their gallery change.

or

1. Demand the mod team do a daily sweep of all galleries by those who either don't declare a percentage, or aren't 100% either way. Each gallery to be checked each and every day, and well, we can't change which group they fall under with this temporary system, so we'll either have to remove the gallery, or change the users percentage...

I personally don't like either of those options, and would support neither.

Rob has stated that this is a temporary system, a quick fix until the real one is in place with all of it's bells, whistles and flashing lights. He never said it was perfect, he said it was "quick"

Edit: For those commenting that sorting isn't needed, give this thread a quick read and you'll see that many members think quite differently... http://www.lpsg.org/234327-**-announcement-**-site-downtime.html I personally don't care either way, but I don't use the gallery!

#11 Kotchanski, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I, as I am sure many members are, am absolutely shocked to see this on a site that attracts so many members for the reason that it DOESN'T pigeon-hole people into preset categories of sexuality. I could not believe my eyes when I saw this new category selection. If this type of "segregation" is necessary, then there at least needs to be a category for Bisexual (or "Somewhere In-between" or similar) and possibly even Unsure.

My vote would be to just group all the cocks together like the female photos are regardless of where it likes to play. If a guy who is 100% straight is afraid of seeing other cocks, or is offended by seeing two cocks in the same photo, I can't imagine he'd be hanging out in any of the male galleries anyway.

Rob, I appreciate your efforts in creating such an incredible site, but this clearly does not belong here given the culture that this site promotes. I look forward to hearing input from others as well. Thank you.

13. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

If Aconitum's posting is intended as providing a rationale for why the most sensible categorization of male photos here is 100% straight males versus all other males = Gay, then I really, really don't grasp her logic.

14. monel

Gold Member

None of this makes the least bit of sense whatsoever. Not only is it wrong to say that grouping persons who identify themselves as 1% gay under the category "gay" is the most logical solution, it defies logic. More broadly, there is no reason to group the galleries under any such category. People are free to view whatever pictures they want so what exactly is the point of classifying them?

15. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You guys do realize that he is trying to accomodate people here, right?

When the transition was made, they were all together. Look back at how many started requesting that seperations be made. Now, I don't claim to know anything about the program that he is using, or even what program it is, but after being here for years now, I do know that Rob does try to make this a great site (and I believe has succeeded). There may be some limitations at this point as to how he can reach his goals.

It has already been said that this is temporary, and a work in progress. Keep sending him suggestions, but complaining about something this trivial, imho is unwarranted.

If you want to get into a debate about what percentage means "straight", I'm sure that there would never be an agreement on any particular combination other than %100. Like he said, it was chosen for simplistic reasons, and really doesn't define anyone.

Let's think about the big picture here :smile:

16. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think it's the wording that has people bothered, especially the use of "only".
    How about "Straight Men" and "Gay/Bi Men"?
    That at least seems more aligned with the spirit of this site.
    I agree that I don't understand the need to categorize in the first place. Could somebody explain this?

17. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

I think that, no matter how temporary the classification, those who characterize themselves as more than 50% straight have a reasonable expectation not to be labeled as gay by the owner of the site. Similarly, those who characterize themselves as more than 50% gay would have a resaonable expectation not to be labeled by the owner as straight.

And certainly those who choose not to state their sexual preference have a reasonable expectation not to be characterized as either gay or straight by the owner.

As far as the intricacies of programming are concerned, Rob chose the number of categories, the cutpoint, and the labels he gave to the categories.

To be truthful and so as not to be disrespectful of anyone, Rob should, at a minimum, change the labels in question to 100% Straight Men and All Other Men.

18. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why include sexual preference in the grouping of pictures? To group albums/pictures in the following:

- Female parts
    - Men parts

For "sex" pictures/albums:

- M/M & F/F.
    - M/F.

I don't know much about how a website work, nor the work that happens behind it. But, why even add the question about sexual preference in a simple thing as grouping pictures together? :)

These four album-sections would take away that and focus just what's IN the pictures, and you'll easily find what you're searching for.

To have albums as 100% Straight and "All others" feels bad, almost a bit offending, especially on this open-minded forum. :/

19. DV8

DV8
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I've learned that a man call himself 100% or 99% or 90% or 80% straight, and I don't give a shit. I just want to know if we're fucking. Yay or Nay?

20. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I may be completely wrong in this, but I believe the system we aim to move to will eventually be based on the images/videos themselves and not the users personal percentages (though they may be used as an initial starting point)

As Rob has said, the new system will allow for the "tagging" of individual media, and sorting based there on, so it would very much come down to the image, not the user.

Draft saved Draft deleted