999 v. Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Politics' started by liberalcynic, Oct 21, 2011.

1. liberalcynic

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. tiger61

tiger61 Active Member

Albums:
    Liberals really crack me up with their information. Well, to begin with, why should the top 1% pay more? Aren't they already paying for about 90% of the taxes anyway? And you want them to pay more? Hmmmmm.

I am not sure Cain's 999 plan is the best. I actually don't think it is. But at least it starts a legitimate discussion that will do the following:

1. Put everyone on a level playing field. No matter how much you make. So we can end all this class warfare stuff the liberals try to push over on us.
    2. It will essentially get rid of the IRS as we know it. Which will in turn save us a huge amount of $$ as a nation
    3. Almost half of the people in this country don't pay taxes. I simply think that is wrong. Because I go into their houses and see their 60" flat screen TV's, and I see how much booze they are consuming and I see how many cigarettes they smoke. If you want to enjoy the benefits of this country, then pay into it. Perhaps you can give up the cigarettes......that should take care of that.

Like I said, I am not sure Cain's plan is the best. But raising taxes on millionaires is not the answer either. Class warfare gets us nowhere.

3. sargon20

Gold Member

^Blah blah blah. Are you Sean Hannity? Class warfare is over. The rich won. The poor are just realizing it too late.

4. tiger61

tiger61 Active Member

Albums:
    I don't think anybody "won". It isn't really a war anyway. What cracks me up is that they are protesting capitalism by using things that capitalists have made. Like Iphones and ipods and ipads and clothes and sleeping bags. Take away all the stuff that is attributed to capitalism and they will be out there naked with no means of communication. But I doubt very much that they understand this.

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Yeah I guess you missed it. It's been going on for 30+ years.

This from one of the world's richest men....
    Buffett: The rich have won the class war

6. B_patrickmcc

B_patrickmcc New Member

Actually studying both of these issues in my Macro Econ class.
    OWS is a frustration event. People are frustrated that they cant find jobs, get health care, own homes etc. The vast majority dont have solutions, or demands, and are relatively ignorant to the realities of corporate or government dealings. (for example a majority can not tell you what SEC stands for). They are also upset hat many of the so called 1% are thriving, despite losing billions of dollars for their companies. They dont have grievances against those that are in the 1% that have made positive impacts upon society (such as Bill Gates or Steve Jobs), it is the golden parachutes given to CEOs and executives, such as those at BOA and Morgan Stanley, which badly damaged their companies and stockholders, and walked away millions of dollars. Because it is a frustration event, not a demand event they are not providing any suggestions as to how to remedy the situation, which many find troublesome. There is greed in some of the 1%, just as there isenvy in some of the OWS group. But conversely, there are plenty in both groups that suffer from neither.

9/9/9 is pretty much a gimmick, and hardly viable. 49% of americans currently pay no income tax. Most of those have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck. To effectively take 9% of their income away, and inflate the costs of every thing they purchase 9%, would result in high inflation, and much lower demand, basically hyper stagflation.
    The basic tenet of 9/9/9 is simplified tax code, which is viable. We could have a simple tax, still progressive, yet revenue nuetral that was fair, and one that would make both evasion and avoidance nearly impossible. Problem is, there are armies of accountants and tax attorneys that will fight to their death to keep taxes as complicated as possible.
    Thats my 2 cents, now I'm back to talking about big floppy dicks.

7. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo
    Both ACCURATE and Disheartening ...... The 999 plan is a fukin joke, cause one thing the highest earners NEED are lower fukin taxers , when taxes are the lowest they have been in 6 decades. By all means the POOR people and the middle class need to pay MORE since we only have record levels of poverty, why not drive the middle class into poverty as well ... the 999 plan WOULD DO IT!

It fukin kills me how everyone BITCHES about taxes yet, your house is on fire and instead of grabbing a hose you scream FIRE DEPARTMENT come save my house!
    What if the station closest to you has been CLOSED b/c the GOP are Anti Government and wanna cut everything no matter the consequences, Then YOU and your house are shit out of luck, b/c the station that remains open is 5 Miles from you and so, your home and maybe family or pets trapped inside are now ashes. THIS IS THE PRICE OF UNCALLED FOR AND UNNECESSARY BUDGET CUTS. We can save innocents in Afghanistan and Iraq but we let American innocents DIE !!!!

It shows so much audacity that the GOP blocked a bill to fund local Police, Firefighters and Teachers ...............Who knew todays Tea-bagging GOP were Pro-Murder , Pro-Rape and Pro-Gang along with being PRO-LIFE !!!!
    The fact is they are doing every fukin thing they can to damage the Economy in an effort to make OBAMA look bad, even the racist tea-baggers are telling companies DON'T HIRE PEOPLE AND HELP OBAMA .
    I never thought I would live in a country where the level of Racism once again exceeded the level of compassion for fellow Americans .
    Good thing is that Americans are not as stupid as they tend to be and are on to their stunt and will pay a MAJOR PRICE come NOV 2012.
    Not to mention, every last one of their candidates with the exception of JOHN HUNTSMAN are border line morons incapable of running their local PTA much less our COUNTRY !

HH

#7 HUNGHUGE11X7, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  8. liberalcynic

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Let's just say the inequality war has just begun.

motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. liberalcynic

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Social democracy is dead: it is time to bring it back to life.

10. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    So what you're saying is you want Buffet to pay MORE, at least as much as his secretary pays, percentage-wise of total income at least. :eek:

Warren Buffet pays less in effective income tax as a percentage of his income than his secretary pays as a percentage of her income tax. So much income comes from capital gains and such that is taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income. (That's a pro-biz conservative thing right there.) :rolleyes:

Fact: Increasing the IRS Budget for auditing and collection enforcement results in $10 raised for every dollar spent.
    GOP Looks To Cut IRS Budget Despite Returns | Fox News
    Chances are if you made less than 50k, you paid little to no federal income taxes. Almost half the people paid nothing because they don't make enough to. Make minimum wage, work 40hrs a week and see if u can find an apartment that is affordable, let alone trying to raise a family on such a meager sum.

Fifty percent of military coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan smoke. And military members smoke at higher rates in general than the mass population. Maybe some of those smokers you're looking down upon actually did pay for "this country" afterall.
    U.S. military addresses tobacco-addiction concerns | ScrippsNews

Sin taxes are called that for a reason. It's nice to sit in judgement of someone else's lifestyle. Maybe someone died and they inherited stuff, or it was a gift, or won in a church raffle, or bought at a pawn store, or they did some work for someone and the giant tv was payment. Didn't people at one time see a doctor and pay for the visit in chickens?

Raising taxes on 84% of people IS the answer! :cool:
    84% would pay more under Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan - Oct. 18, 2011 Wait, that can't be right. Republicans are for lowering taxes, aren't they? :confused:

And don't forget those 1% of millionaire income earners who PAY NO TAXES.
    Millionaires who owe no federal income tax - May. 9, 2011

So much for the class warfare talk...:rolleyes:

edit: and Warren Buffet would probably pay EVEN LESS in taxes under the 666 plan

#10 TurkeyWithaSunburn, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  11. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

I like this comment.

12. CraigS41

Gold Member

Albums:
    How about cutting Congress's pay and benifits.

Like pay to 40,000 a year.
    Health Care to be the same system the rest of us have to use.
    Retirement like the rest of us have to use.

That would save a BUNCH!!!

Also, instead of the way we do taxes now, since the IRS has all of the information anyway, have them send us the forms filled out with the information thay have and we add in any deductions and changes with documentation. Sure would simplify things on both ends.

Craig

#12 CraigS41, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  13. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ROFL, perhaps you should check your facts. NO the top 1% don't pay a majority of the taxes, that's the point! You pay more taxes than they do percentage wise. Also I'm tired of hearing "It's a bunch of hippies against capitalism!". No it's not, it's alot of people pissed off about how intertwined big business and our government are. The lobbiests that are in our government to ensure that certain bills do or do not get passed.

#13 Darkriff, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  14. midlifebear

Gold Member

"Kill the rich 1% and then eat them!"

15. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You cannot quote verbiage about "class warfare" and decry it on the same page: sorry! That doesn't happen!

Draft saved Draft deleted