A 99cent coin

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManiacalMadMan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

If the treasury made a new coin of 99cents or 75cents who should be the president now dead who was on it? I would like to see Harry Truman or James Madison on a coin or one of the less known presidents since they are mostly not honored.

2. HockeyMan991

HockeyMan991 New Member

Albums:
    I think Wayne Gretzky should be on the 99 cent coin....

3. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

How about Grover Cleveland, or someone else from the "What did he achieve and when was his office time again?" list?

No, that would not be fair. A 99-cent coin would be useful, since .99 is a common amount in trading, so it should be someone who has achieved something. Probably Truman or Wilson, they would be good choices.

4. mindseye

Gold Member

I think a 99-cent coin would be a terrible idea. I think too little of the mathematical acuity of many of the cashiers out there that I can easily see the store grinding to a halt when a customer attempts to pay for a $2.70 item with three 99-cent coins, and the cashier can't figure out that the change is 27 cents.

With three dollars, the cashier can "punch in" $3.00 as the amount tendered into the register and blindly trust the amount displayed. (Just last week, I had a cashier void an entire sale and re-ring every item because she accidentally entered $400 as the amount tendered instead of $40, and couldn't compensate.)

With three 99-cent coins, I don't know how many cashiers would even be able to figure out the amount tendered to "punch" in.

*sigh*

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Mindseye makes a good point, cashiers today are often dumber than a box of rocks.

Just last Christmas I held up a line for 20 minutes at a Target in Georgia because I was attempting to pay for my purchase with Sacagawea Golden Dollar's. The cashier didn't think that they were legal tender. Even though they have been minted since 2000.

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I agree. It's exactly he same here in Europe. It amazes me that people need to use the cash register to add up 2 items. If the total comes to €5.15 for example and you give them €10.15 they are completely flummoxed as how to work out your change :rolleyes:

7. Love-it

Gold Member

What would blondes do with a 66 cent coin? Look for the 66 cent store I suppose.

8. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

That made me laugh

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Current Bush should be on it. No one would use a 99 cent coin anyway.

It's useless and so is he.

10. mindseye

Gold Member

If Bush is on the "heads" side of the coin, then the "tails" side should contain an embedded mic for eavesdropping.

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

His profile should be on the heads side and his frontal portrait should he on the tail side because he is an ASS.

12. mindseye

Gold Member

So, put him on both sides of the coin because he's two-faced?

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its true. I don't think a 99 cent coin is a good idea. Even dollar coins occasionally issued by the US mint cause enough recognition confusion without the added complication of an odd denomination.

BTW: Does anybody else think its time the US did away with the penny? I see pennies as a nuisance, not cash.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

A 99 cent coin is a stinky idea. However, since you asked I vote for Grover Cleveland and William Mc Kinley.

I disagree, not sure why but maybe because I use pennies often and I don't adjust well to change. (no pun intended :biggrin1: :tongue:)

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They do not bother me, even though one penny is worthless.

An older lady once said to me "do you remember when you used to find a penny and rush to pick it up?." I told her, no, that was before my time.

Draft saved Draft deleted