A BEAUTY or A CLOWN?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by dreamer20, May 20, 2007.

?

Do you like false eyelashes?

1. Yes. I might be wearing them now.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No. They make you look like a clown.

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. Undecided.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. dreamer20

Gold Member

I think that false eyelashes are beautiful and glamorous. I had a big argument with my coworker, Renee, as she had a different point of view. I was able to shoot down most of her arguments to the contrary which were as follows:

R:Women don't need to use them anymore as mascara and make-up will do.

dreamer:Yes. Eye make-up looks good. But false eyelashes look fabulous. e.g. Zsa Zsa and Marla Thomas...

R:Well they are white. Black people don't wear them. Only white people wear those, typically older white women.

dreamer:What about Diana Ross, Diahann Carroll etc.?

R: See! Just as I said. The older generation wears them. They were fashionable in the 60's. They're not used by young people now.

dreamer:How about Jessica Simpson, Linsay Lohan, Countess Vaughn, Tiffany Patterson (VH1's I Love New York), RuPaul and Halle Berry ?

R:Halle Berry doesn't need those!

dreamer:That's true.

And here is an example of that Eyelash Glamour:biggrin1::

YouTube - Dusty Springfield

Not the best example,eh:wink:

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I don't necessarily think you look like a clown, but I think it looks silly, and it's SO obvious that they're fake. I think this generation is really over the "obviously fake" look. By the way... did you notice that her lashes started falling off at about 52 seconds into that song? Who wants to deal with that?

3. Principessa

Gold Member

ROTFLMAO - CLOWN!!!!

Most Black women, myself included find wearing false eyelashes darn near impossible and unneccessary. The reason being, our eye lashes are naturally shorter, thicker and more curly than White women. The typical lash found at CVS or Target are out of the question. Even a high priced pair of lashes from Sephora will not look right on me.

The only way I can wear false lashes is to use the individual ones. This is a painstaking and tediously, long process.

4. transformer_99

Gold Member

False eyelashes ? I won't say that some women don't need them, but if they have enough going on elsewhere, it's probably one of the last things I'm looking for.

5. dreamer20

Gold Member

I knew that would amuse you.:biggrin1: Something similar happened to Tiffany Patterson during a dolphin encounter in an episode of VH1's "I Love New York" but the video clip is currently unavailable.

There are other clips from the show here:

VH1.com : Shows : I Love New York - Pop Culture, Videos, Photos, Celebreality, TV Schedule

A picture of T.P. is attached.

Attached Files:

6. Love-it

Gold Member

Tammy Faye Baker should be example enough to turn anyone away from makeup and false eyelashes.

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

"Are those falsies you're wearing?"

*** s l a p ! ! ! ***

"I meant your eyelashes." *rubs welt on cheek*

8. snoozan

Gold Member

There are a lot of false eyelashes out there that are not the inch-long glue on monstrosities that you get at the drugstore. A good set of false eyelashes (the ones you put on one by one) can look really good, especially in photos. Close portrait work can really benefit from them either as a natural complement to the eyes or an out-there conceptual shot.

As NJQT pointed out, though, they are very difficult and very time consuming to apply.

I don't think they will become the norm for everyday women anytime soon because of the aforementioned problems and because you can get a mascara that really does lengthen your natural eyelashes while not looking too fake. The eyelashes look to fake to us now that the style has become more natural.

Fake eyelashes are great for photos, costumes, having fun, and a special night out (the good ones), but I don't think as an everyday thing they are practical. I don't think they all look clown-like though. If you get the right ones they can look very good.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I say, 40 lashes for dreamer20.:cool:
    False eye lashes are de rigueur for drag queens only.

10. dreamer20

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted