A Boycott Ive Heard About

godiluvabig1

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey everyone... Sorry I haven't been posting that much, but between work and school, I've been pretty busy...

Just recently, a friend of mine sent me an IM to my yahoo messenger about a gas boycott on Sept 3... this is a copy of the message I got:

Dont buy gas on September 3rd!!!!
Boycotting the gas company will decrease the price dramatically. Ive checked into it and if over half the US didnt buy gas for 1 day, the gas companys would be close to bankrupcy!!! So Lets show them how to lower gas prices. So repost this to all your friends. We have to get the word out. Its NATIONAL DONT buy gas DAY!!!

I wonder if this would work... Anyone else interested in finding out?

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Every idea is worth exploring. We need to send messages to the "powers that be"...and those powers are in D.C.

Just a thought however, wouldn't everybody just fill up the day before?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
These "boycott for a day" things don't do anything; you'll just buy the day before or after. A better solution is a long-term reduction in fuel consumption by walking more or driving a car with better mileage.

cityboy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by godiluvabig1@Aug 26 2005, 11:16 PM
Dont buy gas on September 3rd!!!!
Boycotting the gas company will decrease the price dramatically. Ive checked into it and if over half the US didnt buy gas for 1 day, the gas companys would be close to bankrupcy!!! So Lets show them how to lower gas prices. So repost this to all your friends. We have to get the word out. Its NATIONAL DONT buy gas DAY!!!

I think I've gotten this email 100 times in the last 10 years. It is a chain letter that's been around in various forms for a long time. It never works.

godiluvabig1

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obviously you can tell I don't know jack shit about the effects that would have... I'm just wish there was something to do about the gas prices... Personally, I don't spend much on gas, only about $50 a month (good gas mileage in my car), but if prices were lower, it would be only $20 a month... The sad thing is that we need gas to go to work, school (for those of us in college), shopping, and other things we do on a regular basis... If only there was a way to stop the damn inflation... :banghead: It's frustrating from my standpoint because I'm saving up to get an apartment (and furnishings for it) so I can get out of my grandparents' house and actually get out more... And the price of gas really isn't helping, among other things...

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
JonB has the right idea. Consume less, get better milage throw away the gas sucking SUVs and such, petition your legislators, don't vote for oil men like Bush and Cheney (remember they were going to "jawbone" the Saudis? - all lies so they could line the pockets of their oil friends).

If only there was a way to stop the damn inflation...
If you mean "artificial" inflation sure. But natural inflation isn't what's going on here. And before people start bombarding with posts about how inflation-wise, gas is still cheaper than during the 70's oil "crisis"...

That was a special embargo situation and even besides that, it doesn't take into account the technological advances that should be making oil cheaper than it currently is. Sure, China can account for some of it, oil refineries another small part...but that doesn't add up to the huge spikes we've seen since Bush has been in power.

It's a freakin' outrage!

godiluvabig1

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by CardiffDillon@Aug 27 2005, 03:25 PM
I'm sure you'll excuse those of us in the UK, who are currently paying around $7.50 a gallon, from feeling your pain.
[post=338512]Quoted post[/post]​
I knew ya'll in the UK were paying much more than us, but damn... That sucks

Spork

1st Like
Media
The reason gasoline is getting expensive is because world demand for it is increasing, and world supply is decreasing. There's only so much oil in the ground, and we're using it up very quickly.

Don't expect gas to go under $2/gallon ever again. Google "Hubbert's Peak".

This is why the environmental movement has been campaigning against suburban sprawl, and for alternative energy, mass transit, and sustainable development, for decades: the alternative is bankrupting ourselves fighting the world over a vanishing oil supply. And for decades the right-wingers have tried to paint us as self-flagellating freaks, or at least as harmless Luddite wackos. Well, guess what: we're right.

Remember when Dick Cheney said that energy conservation made people feel good but didn't accomplish anything? Think of that when you're filling your gas tank or paying your heating bill this winter.

Move closer to work, start riding your bicycle, don't buy gigantic pickups or SUVs, and don't elect Texas oilmen to run the country.

Cobalt Blue

Legendary Member
Media
Originally posted by CardiffDillon@Aug 27 2005, 08:25 PM
I'm sure you'll excuse those of us in the UK, who are currently paying around $7.50 a gallon, from feeling your pain.
[post=338512]Quoted post[/post]​
LOL@Cardiff!
I live in Central London and cycle everywhere. Since I know I'm not going to be the victim of traffic jams or train cancellations, I am always on time for meetings. It's free, and it's good for you and the environment...
Oh, and best of all, the substantial savings can be spent on.......BEER! :beer:
:toast:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It takes me $60 per week to fill up my Truck, sometimes twice a week.

SO, you bet, Im willing to try anything.

It would be different if EVERYONE was paying the same price.
But constant Gas Price Gouging takes place.

I can drive Mid Michigan, and see $2.75 per gallon, and I can drive to Detroit and see $2.40 a gallon.

So, americans need to step up to the plate, and see what we can do.
Each and Every One of us.

Driving an Eco Scooter Car for me is out of the question.
Ive got to have my Truck or my Mid-Size. Seen too many people have to be Peeled out of those little rollerskates.

C

Darth Bamer

Just Browsing
Media
You obviously know very very little about economics and supply/demand. So what boycott for a day or week? That just means that everyone will buy their gas a day later or a week later. Think girl..........damn.

Unless you and these so called boycotters start walking to work, mall, etc then the gas companies and the lovely Arabs in the Middle East will feel no effects.

Darth

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Spork@Aug 28 2005, 02:40 AM
The reason gasoline is getting expensive is because world demand for it is increasing, and world supply is decreasing. There's only so much oil in the ground, and we're using it up very quickly.

Don't expect gas to go under $2/gallon ever again. Google "Hubbert's Peak".

This is why the environmental movement has been campaigning against suburban sprawl, and for alternative energy, mass transit, and sustainable development, for decades: the alternative is bankrupting ourselves fighting the world over a vanishing oil supply. And for decades the right-wingers have tried to paint us as self-flagellating freaks, or at least as harmless Luddite wackos. Well, guess what: we're right.

Remember when Dick Cheney said that energy conservation made people feel good but didn't accomplish anything? Think of that when you're filling your gas tank or paying your heating bill this winter.

Move closer to work, start riding your bicycle, don't buy gigantic pickups or SUVs, and don't elect Texas oilmen to run the country.
[post=338646]Quoted post[/post]​

Perfect over view of the situation. :yourock:

Donk

Experimental Member
Media
Even if the boycott idea would work (which it wouldn't), it is extremely poor planning to schedule the national boycott day over Labor Day weekend. Not gonna happen. (But, if you're smart, you will fill up on Wed. next week instead of buying gas on Saturday anyway.)

Sheppard

Just Browsing
Media
No the boycott for a day never works, because it doesn't reduce the fundamental demand.

However, I own a Prius, and let me tell ya, it's pretty cool when it only takes 8 gallons to top off my tank!

I've been getting 47 MPG when I drive like a madman to my appointments, and 52 MPG when I keep to the speed limit, and use cruise controll.

Also, you might want to take a look at http://www.greasecar.com/

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yep, and one Michigan June Bug will take out the whole front grill.

Originally posted by Sheppard@Aug 28 2005, 11:50 AM
No the boycott for a day never works, because it doesn't reduce the fundamental demand.

However, I own a Prius, and let me tell ya, it's pretty cool when it only takes 8 gallons to top off my tank!

I've been getting 47 MPG when I drive like a madman to my appointments, and 52 MPG when I keep to the speed limit, and use cruise controll.

Also, you might want to take a look at http://www.greasecar.com/
[post=338702]Quoted post[/post]​

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Of course, I've been riding a bike, walking, and using mass transit for years. My roommates and I have one car, and it's only "my" car because I bought it, my name's on the title, and I do most of the maintenance on it. Most of the time we're doing something less jihad-friendly.

dfox7.3x5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I received an e-mail today saying the boycott is Sept. 1, not Sept. 3. But other posters are right; people would either fill up the day before or the day after. As it turns out, I need to get gas tomorrow (8/31) so I can get to work the next morning.