A break from the politics

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by AllHazzardi, Oct 19, 2004.

1. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Being a philosophy minor, I am always interested in hearing these from other people, it tells you a lot about the person, and what they expect. It tells you if they can go beyond what's presented to them and start thinking of what 'could be'. It's an endlessly discussed subject, because each person sees a different piece of the pie. So I ask you all...

What's your philosophy of life?

2. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

Well, "live and let live" seems to be a good philosophy of life.

Though, I prefer things a bit deeper than that (pun intended I suppose) and am an avid reader of Nietzche and Rousseau, though before that I was a Platonist. For what that's worth.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well, let's see...God put us here on Earth to learn to make good decisions...the greatest work we can do is within the walls of our own home...the best gardener is the one who has no trouble giving away all that zucchini...and finally...the road to hell is paved with democrats. :rolleyes:

4. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...and travelled by Republicans!

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not a good start, Pecker. I interpreted the title of this thread not as a joke but as a genuine request for a break from political mud fights.

My life philosophy in a nutshell:

God give me the courage to try to change the things I can change.

God give me the strength to endure those things I can't change.

God give me the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

SG

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Don't everybody get your pants in a bunch - I meant that everybody needs a sense of humor.

7. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    I think its important to never take anything too seriously, especially yourself.

8. jonb

Gold Member

Go impregnate some chads.

9. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    My life philosophy is hard to put into text, because these things generally need to be discussed with more emotion and body language than text allows

But to put simply:
    Life is life. We don't have a given purpose or reason for living. We decide our own course, we choose our own purpose.

In my life, one purpose I choose to help people, to be kind to them, to make them happy, and to make them no longer sad. I chose this because that is what I like doing. If I can make one person happy each day, then it is a good day.

The other purpose I choose is to see all things, or at least most, objectively. I never look at an action and say it's good or bad without knowing the reasons.

In a sense, I follow the Tao Te Ching, but I was following its values long before I ever had it in my hands.

10. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, and my philosophy? Majoring in philosophy is only slightly smarter than investing in Enron.

11. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Nice, AllHazzardi, very nice.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

1) You might as well laugh at yourself- why should everyone else have all the fun?

2) We are completely free to do exactly as we choose. The results we incur are ours to deal with as well.

3) Nobody else cares about your money as much as you do.

4) Most people are basically stupid and easily led.

5) Everything I really care about in philosophy is contained in The Prophet, but this is fun.

6) Everything else I care about in philosophy is contained in Illusions- the Adventures of a reluctant Messiah.......ie, "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours"

7) Reality is unaffected by our perception of it. The truth is what it is, despite of what vantage point we have of it. It is reassuring to me that I don't have to solve the world's mysteries.

8) The free coffee at AA meetings is better than Starbucks.

9) I talk to myself because it's nice having a converstion with someone who really loves me.

10) LPSG is awesome, there should be more penis talk in the world!

13. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

I'll have to call you out on that one Jonb, though I'm sure you were just trying to make a joke.

You probably wouldn't be aware of it, but I happen to have a degree in the subect, and thus, I quite obviously disagree. Would you care to justify your supposition? I've definitely been down this road before with others slagging the noble study of philosophy...

14. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    I'll have to call you out on that one Jonb, though I'm sure you were just trying to make a joke.

You probably wouldn't be aware of it, but I happen to have a degree in the subect, and thus, I quite obviously disagree. Would you care to justify your supposition? I've definitely been down this road before with others slagging the noble study of philosophy...
    [post=260430]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I think more what he meant to say was:

"Majoring in Philosophy to use for a job is only slight smarter than investing in Enron."

Getting a degree in philosophy is wonderful, but, it's awfully hard to find a job using only that.

15. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, philosophy, liberal arts, and communications. They're great if you're a ringer for the football team, but suck if you're trying to find a job. That being said, you could get a job in politics if you debate the nature of truth enough.

16. Onslow

Gold Member

Keep in mind sometimes having a conversation with one's self is inviting an arguement from a negative Nellie (or Norman).

Actually the coffee is NOT free. Somebody had to pay for it just as somebody has to pay for the rent on the room----but is usually better than Starbucks, but so is coffee made with a well worn sweatsock being used for a filter,--- so if you have any money to spare,even loose change be sure to drop it in the basket as it passes by.

Yes you are right about this site.

17. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Ahh, the wonders of captilaism yes?

Anyway, my phiilosophy changes, perhaps it's easier to say that I'm rather like Peter (that one), in that I'm a 'rock'.

18. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Highly disagree, at least with your first post. Something I learned to love about the field of philosophy was definitely its versatility in the job market. Quite a good many leading CEOs, business people, academicians, and other liberal arts have philosophical training, some even earning degrees in the craft. Ted Turner was one of 'em. Here's a great article on how philosophy pays off. And if that wasn't enough, here's a list of famous folks who happened to pick up a Bachelor's in it as well. Here are some more if that doesn't satisfy. (Go, Martin Luther King!) And to that end, I further add, if a field such as this can lead people toward entertainment, government work, the Presidency, successful authorship, business and finance, capitalist ventures, journalism, law, and family therapy *wink* -- to name but a few successes -- it seems your point is a little off. Philosophy majors might have been a little more creative in their marketing, but it can and has been done.

It's okay that you underestimate us philosophy folk. It happens a lot, and it feels hella good to prove someone wrong. :p

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

Dee, I seriously doubt jon was underestimating the value of that degree, just perhaps the credibility in the marketplace. Being well versed in Philosophy will put anyone miles ahead of the game in many respects, but there is still the issue of job-seeking to contend with. Mine being in Psychology, I've had more than a few raised eyebrows to contend with when applying for sales positions, management positions, and the like. I kept getting "Why didn't you go for a marketing degree?".
    Sure, I was able to excel in those fields once I got in, largely because of my education, but it was an additional obstacle to overcome convincing the person doing the interview that I was the right candidate for the job. My education came in handy a bit there as well. ;)

20. jonb

Gold Member

I'm not even sure most people with marketing degrees know much about marketing. Nothing I hate more than hearing about genital herpes while I'm eating lunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted