A close call...

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I could have died tonight.

My sealed fire place over heated and set lite to the wood surround.

I kept it under control til the firemen can and put it out. It was inches away from a total blaze.

Im so shaken and sad, im on my own too.

It was complete luck i saw the fault, i was gonna go to bed, not knowing about it and would now be dead in a house fire.

I think an angel must of been watching over me and telling me what to do to keep it managable til the firemen got there.

Thank you God.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you have working smoke detectors in case it happens while you are asleep?

If you don't have smoke detectors, get them. If you don't have a folding escape ladder, get one. If you don't have an emergency fire extinguisher, get one.

I'm very thankful you escaped RP. Now's the time for a good stiff drink!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ive only lived here for a few months, theres nothing, no smoke alarms, no exstingishers... nothing, not even a hose.

Im so fortunate to be here.
Get a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. You were very lucky this time.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:yikes: That's scary as hell! :eek: I am so glad you were quick thinking enough to tame the flames until the fire department arrived! Whatever you did was very smart. :cool:

If you don't have smoke detectors, get them. If you don't have a folding escape ladder, get one. If you don't have an emergency fire extinguisher, get one.

I'm very thankful you escaped RP. Now's the time for a good stiff drink!
<---- What he said.:cool:

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few thoughts about fireplace safety. First of all, fireplaces are largely outdated, a romantic traditional memory of awfully inconvenient and inefficient wood heating. In some of the old log cabins, chimneys were built so that they could be kicked away to fall away from the house, in case of a chimney fire.

And I don't understand what for all the ornamental wood and wood mantels. My house came with 2 fireplaces, but its all brick and noncombustibles, all the way to the ceiling. No mantel. No decorative surrounding wood. With only heavy masonry, it might even take it a while, to even get hot?

Wood isn't really such a safe material to burn. It doesn't burn clean enough, and creosote can build up, setting fire to the chimney some evening with a romantic and a bit too hot, fire. Wood burns hot, but is fickle and quickly gets too cold, if not continually prodded and stirred and tended. And most all the heat goes up the chimney. I think that vent-free gas logs do the job far better, because while not so hot, they are very consistant, and with the really cool wall-mounted thermostat option, powered totally by the heat of the pilot light, they can almost replace the furnace for heating much of the house, for most of the winter except when real cold outside. When I moved in, it didn't take long, before I converted to gas logs. Nice warm cozy-looking fire, without all the mess or risks. Just a simple log set, with a little orange flame, and a glowing hot ceramic log. Some of them are just too fancy. Too much heat output isn't desirable anyway. The room soon warms enough, and the thermostat shuts things down, leaving a cold dark hole of a fireplace. No, I run them usually on low. I want them to stay on longer, and if not enough heat on low, then the furnace needs to cycle a few times anyway, to push a little heat to the extremes of the house. I set the furnace thermostat just a little lower, so that it can "help" when needed. So what do I do now, with the connected masonry fireplace in the other room? What a useless hole in the wall.

Wood fires may be romantic and cozy and all that, but I think these days, the nice hot roaring fires, belong better outside, in a nice campfire setting. Outside where it really is cold, that radiant heat and glow, can feel mighty nice.

I also feel a bit uneasy about how close some electric stove ovens are to the surrounding wooden cupboards. It's easy not to much notice, how heat may build up and get trapped. A few inches clearance may be safer?

And some of those electric appliances may not be so safe as they appear. A couple areas of concern. Appliances that use lots of electricity and are small and encased in plastic. Such as coffee makers. I saw how they test safety of such things, on some TV show many years back. They bypassed the thermostat, which on such devices may be a bit shoddy and made too cheaply and stick? To simulate what might happen should the thermostat ever get stuck on. It melted within a minute and soon caught on fire. I would not want one of those in my home. If I had a spouse that wanted one, I think I should spring for the several hundred dollars, and get some coffee maker made of metal, like what they put in restaurants. They also vice-gripped-clamped some blade of a circular saw so that it would be jammed, and taped the trigger switch on. I think it may have smoked slightly or something, but it did nothing spectular at all. Much better.

I think it was in Reader's Digest many years ago, I read some joke about some poor guy, who when he and his wife left to go on vacation, his wife would always, while driving along the way, fear she had left the iron on. So they had to go back and check. Finally the guy got smart. When she feared the iron had been left on, he pulled over and pulled the iron from the trunk.

I also hear that lint building up in the clothes dryer hose, is a common source of fires. Might be good to disconnect things once in a while, and perform an inspection? Could be a reason to go outside and use the clothes line, which is better for the clothes anyway, if only it wasn't so cold outside, so inconvenient, or threatening to rain?

starter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
O_O so much advice, i say tempt fate and cook some marshmallows over a fire... in the middle of your living room... kidding, hope your over it now though

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In the DVD movie, "The Last Voyage," an aging ship becomes doomed, when an oil fuel line breaks, igniting an engine room fire. They get the fire put out, but the fire heat went up some chimney vent pipe or something, and set fire to the paneling in some dining room upstairs. I just could not believe that they could get it under control, with a bunch of fire extinguishers. No, that looked like a "fire hose" fire, to me? Need to pump some water on it, not piss it away with a bunch of hand-held fire extinguishers.

(Curiously, they try hard in such movies, not to put out the fire. Movie fire is often produced by gas burner things hidden behind the scenery, and so the water has to be optical illusion misaligned to the fire, or the fakery just wouldn't work so well. I think in a real fire, there could be a lot more smoke, and special fireman breathing appartus has to be worn. But too much smoke, would obscure all the expensive special effects of the movie.)

But the ship fails from a chain-reaction of events. The engine room fire damaged a pressure-relief valve or something, and by the time they noticed that the boiler pressure in one of the boilers was mounting, because some pressure guage had stuck giving unreliable readings, and that the fuel valve had become stuck, and finally interupt the voyage by shutting off the master fuel valve, the boiler exploded, ripping a few gashes into the hull. Until then, the passengers were largely unaware of the severity of the problems, until the boiler exploded and flew upwards right out the top deck of the ship, punching a gaping hole all the way down to where it used to be. Then some bulkhead gave way from the water pressure flooding.

While a fictional story I think, we can feel somewhat safer in that turbine-driven electric generators and electric motor props have largely replaced old space-wasting long propeller shafts, so ships without boilers now, won't have weak-welded? exploding boilers anymore? Of course I have watched a few too many disaster movies, to feel totally comfortable to go on a ship cruise, which I can't reasonably afford anyway. Don't those ships look a bit "top-heavy?" Or perhaps underneath all the fancy hotel decorations, they could be aging, leaking rust-buckets?

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thank you all for kind words, ive some sleep after 3 hours imidiate cleaning, and im feeling a bit calmer. There's a fair amount of smoke damage but nothing elbow grease and paint cant fix.

The fire place is a sealed French style wood burner, not my taste and was due to be removed. The guy that built it is an arse, it is very poorly done and clearly, as it turns out, a massive fire risk.

The casing had 3 big wooden beams placed round it as a mantel and over time the intense heat this thing kicks out had dried and chard the back, not visable side of the wood beam to ignition point. The rest is thankfully sealed stone work.

Last night it just went up, smouldering to the point that if i hadent noticed, hadnet covered it in wet cloths, hadnt stifled the smoke, it would have burst into flames, burning the house down and killing me as i would have been asleep in bed.

Im very thankful for the fire department.

Im more thankful for who ever was here with me in spirit guiding me last night.

This thread could have been a nats dick away from reading RIP pup.

Tickled Pink

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
aaaw hunny, just read this thread - I hope you ok now! Here in Britain every now and the the Firebrigade come round and fit smoke alarms for free - I got mine a couple of years ago but it was so exciting seeing lots of gorgeous firemen in my house I think I may phone them and tell them the fairys stole my smoke alarms and get them back to fit some more!!!!! lol

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Again, thank you all for your kindness.

Im going to buy a big fat fuck off huge monster fire extinguisher just as soon as i can.

I hope no one here goes through what i went through last night and i would urge anyone and everyone to have a fire extinguisher in their home.