A Completely Unofficial SIZE FAQ

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It has been previously noted in this thread that before it becomes a really useful FAQ it needs citations, and more detail. I concede this point, and agree. I compound that sin in that I am more interested in it being useful to a general reader than passing muster as a scientific treatise, and therefore tend toward the style of popularizing journalism more than journal articles.

In the previous post BigBen now casts further aspersions on it. He specifies that it is not an attack on me personally, which is admirable, but (granting that there are a few valid points in his objections) still mischaracterizes the FAQ in ways that I think ought to be answered. Even after openly declaring this FAQ to be an interpretive summary of the more detailed and extensively cited data on Wikipedia’s site, I think “junk science” is an overstatement. This criticism stings, most especially because it seems oddly justified by a set of very dubious assertions all in itself. To start with, my post is not science at all, and does not claim to be. I am not the publisher of any studies on this subject, just someone trying to synthesize (and simplify) current information on the matter for those who want or need quick information.

BigBen’s objections to my original post, though a little hard to follow, can be summarized quickly:

First, he objects to methodological problems with size surveys, especially Kinsey. This confuses me, since most of the methodological problems he finds objectionable with penis size studies were noted in my own editorializing. It seems a bit odd to be taken to task as if I committed them, especially since I pointed them out and he merely rehashes my list. The point on which we concur: Many studies, including Kinsey, have to be taken with a grain of salt because they were plagued by unrepresentative sampling pools, self-reporting that now seems dubious, and occasionally outright racist assumptions. The older the study the more caution that needs to be exercised. We, however, disagree that such problems go unconsidered in the FAQ and render it junk.

Second he objects that all studies are invalid because a sample of a “couple of thousand” people cannot correlate to the full adult male population of Earth. This is not the place to justify statistical sampling techniques but suffice it so to say that they are certainly well established and widely validated. It is possible to have too small a sample, or an unrepresentative sample, but that does not mean that one cannot arrive at a sensible average without measuring every adult male on the planet, of which there are far fewer than 3.5 billion. Far from sampling being thought invalid in scientific circles, with proper precautions it has made much of modern science possible. Granting again that full citation might make clearer what the size of the numbers are, the sample considered is more than adequate to correlate.

Thirdly, he objects to the frequency chart because nature does not occur in whole numbers. Let me immediately grant that this FAQ would be more precise and scientifically valid if distribution frequency were rendered as a chart of standard deviations away from the mean. Unfortunately, that results in difficult to grasp statements something like this: “Jamison and Gebhard found the average erect size to be 6.21", with a standard deviation of .77".” I am still not fond of the illustrative power of a qualifier, like this: “This means that 95% of men will not be more or less than 1.54" inches from the average value.” I find the “powers of ten” scale, which is openly human in design, to be more illustrative, if less precise. (The scientifically dubious part of the chart, IMO, is that the correlations fall conveniently at one-inch increments, but I thought I openly acknowledged that these were a product of rounding. Incidentally, the high end of the scale is the most dubious because no penises of extreme size appear in most studies at all. Those frequencies may well be over-estimated and I suppose I should have said so more plainly.)

It took me several readings to understand that BigBen primarily doubts the validity of the FAQ, however, because it suggests a frequency of very large penises that is way too low for him. His stated reason for so doubting is specifically that the numbers of such large penises on LPSG proves that they are much more common than this chart would suggest. (He also cites the unspecified size of his own penis, and some that he has anecdotally encountered.) While I think the FAQ is open to much improvement, I specifically don’t think that the problem with it is that it suggests an average size that is way too small, or underestimates the numbers of very large penises in the population. I especially don’t think LPSG is a good basis for this objection. One would expect to find an unrepresentatively large sample at a site called the “Large Penis Support Group.” And, myself, I am a bit dubious about some of the claims (and even some of the pictures) presented here.

In the same way that Ben notes his post is not an attach on me, let me say that no personal disrespect is intended in return, but it does seem strange that after assailing the “scientific” validity of the FAQ to find the challenge resting on such a subjective and purely anecdotal objection.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think the FAQ is still valid. It was written as a general help guide and does not need to be scientifically perfect. I would imagine that citing one study or another we could argue each specific point made till we hit page 100. It is a helpful place to point people who just need a quick, general answer. If you feel like posting a drawn outanswer every time somebody asks “how large is average” citing the Durex study, the Kinsley report, the unofficial LPSG polls and the likes feel free. As it is I think it stands as a useful guide.

BigBen

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
fortiesfun said:
It has been previously noted in this thread that before it becomes a really useful FAQ it needs citations, and more detail. I concede this point, and agree. I compound that sin in that I am more interested in it being useful to a general reader than passing muster as a scientific treatise, and therefore tend toward the style of popularizing journalism more than journal articles.

In the previous post BigBen now casts further aspersions on it. He specifies that it is not an attack on me personally, which is admirable, but (granting that there are a few valid points in his objections) still mischaracterizes the FAQ in ways that I think ought to be answered. Even after openly declaring this FAQ to be an interpretive summary of the more detailed and extensively cited data on Wikipedia’s site, I think “junk science” is an overstatement. This criticism stings, most especially because it seems oddly justified by a set of very dubious assertions all in itself. To start with, my post is not science at all, and does not claim to be. I am not the publisher of any studies on this subject, just someone trying to synthesize (and simplify) current information on the matter for those who want or need quick information.

BigBen’s objections to my original post, though a little hard to follow, can be summarized quickly:

First, he objects to methodological problems with size surveys, especially Kinsey. This confuses me, since most of the methodological problems he finds objectionable with penis size studies were noted in my own editorializing. It seems a bit odd to be taken to task as if I committed them, especially since I pointed them out and he merely rehashes my list. The point on which we concur: Many studies, including Kinsey, have to be taken with a grain of salt because they were plagued by unrepresentative sampling pools, self-reporting that now seems dubious, and occasionally outright racist assumptions. The older the study the more caution that needs to be exercised. We, however, disagree that such problems go unconsidered in the FAQ and render it junk.

Second he objects that all studies are invalid because a sample of a “couple of thousand” people cannot correlate to the full adult male population of Earth. This is not the place to justify statistical sampling techniques but suffice it so to say that they are certainly well established and widely validated. It is possible to have too small a sample, or an unrepresentative sample, but that does not mean that one cannot arrive at a sensible average without measuring every adult male on the planet, of which there are far fewer than 3.5 billion. Far from sampling being thought invalid in scientific circles, with proper precautions it has made much of modern science possible. Granting again that full citation might make clearer what the size of the numbers are, the sample considered is more than adequate to correlate.

Thirdly, he objects to the frequency chart because nature does not occur in whole numbers. Let me immediately grant that this FAQ would be more precise and scientifically valid if distribution frequency were rendered as a chart of standard deviations away from the mean. Unfortunately, that results in difficult to grasp statements something like this: “Jamison and Gebhard found the average erect size to be 6.21", with a standard deviation of .77".” I am still not fond of the illustrative power of a qualifier, like this: “This means that 95% of men will not be more or less than 1.54" inches from the average value.” I find the “powers of ten” scale, which is openly human in design, to be more illustrative, if less precise. (The scientifically dubious part of the chart, IMO, is that the correlations fall conveniently at one-inch increments, but I thought I openly acknowledged that these were a product of rounding. Incidentally, the high end of the scale is the most dubious because no penises of extreme size appear in most studies at all. Those frequencies may well be over-estimated and I suppose I should have said so more plainly.)

It took me several readings to understand that BigBen primarily doubts the validity of the FAQ, however, because it suggests a frequency of very large penises that is way too low for him. His stated reason for so doubting is specifically that the numbers of such large penises on LPSG proves that they are much more common than this chart would suggest. (He also cites the unspecified size of his own penis, and some that he has anecdotally encountered.) While I think the FAQ is open to much improvement, I specifically don’t think that the problem with it is that it suggests an average size that is way too small, or underestimates the numbers of very large penises in the population. I especially don’t think LPSG is a good basis for this objection. One would expect to find an unrepresentatively large sample at a site called the “Large Penis Support Group.” And, myself, I am a bit dubious about some of the claims (and even some of the pictures) presented here.

In the same way that Ben notes his post is not an attach on me, let me say that no personal disrespect is intended in return, but it does seem strange that after assailing the “scientific” validity of the FAQ to find the challenge resting on such a subjective and purely anecdotal objection.

Wheee.....here we go. I don't a a lot of time to answer this now as I must leave town for about ten days (family emergency). I will attempt to address this when I return in more detail.

The "FAQ" is greatly in error and and the "bottom line" conclusions on larger sizes as a statistical grouping within the general male population are simply bull shit. That is a fact. That they are simply someones opinion is ok. That is fine. To put them out as scientifically based is an error.

My objections to the original post stem from many assertions and misinterpretations of the data from some very small (200 people in a small geographic region of the planet) in a self measured, self reported survey some fifty plus years ago is simply not valid. It was interesting over 50 years ago when no one had ever done such a survey before...but it is still not scientifically valid today. Period. No standardization in measuring, too small a sample, and too geographically concentrated. That is like asking 200 men at the entrance to the local mall to write down their anonymous answers to a dozen questions. A thousand men may pass by in a span of a few hours...some will participate and some won't for many reasons. So the willingness of the subjects to participate also becomes a validity concern for the survey. And it has no statistical relevance to anything in the general male population of over 3.5 BILLION people. Hence, it is junk science.

The authors extrapolation of the numbers using the factor of ten for each one inch size graduation is simply junk too. Period. It fits the authors ideas of what he thinks but it has no correlation in nature. Nature does not operate in round numbers of 10, 100, 1K, 100K, 1M, 10M, etc. Never. And nature does not operate in any function using the old english system of measurement of an inch in graduation per increase ten fold numbers. That is absurd.
That someone would try to defend that is laughable at best and hubris at worst. That they wish to believe that is is valid..it is a free country, knock yourself out...but it is still junk. To post them to the site and endorsed as FAQ" for a reader to assume validity is misleading and untrue.

Also, while this is the Large Penis SG, not all men with large penises are on this site. Not all men with large penises are on the internet. Not all men with large...or small...penises have ever even heard of a size survey, much less approached and asked. The same concept would apply to those is this was a "Red Haired, Hazel Eyed, Left Handed, Size 9 Shoe" attribute site. No way to know the true statistics of the general population of the planet.

My bottom line objection is that it is not factually based assumptions and to put it out as a FAQ sheet, thus implying the "answers" are FACTS, is silly at best, and is not really "helpful" because it uses junk science and arbitrary information, based upon the authors opinion, presented as "FACTS". Now as to say it is one persons opinion on things that is fine...but not fact. Oh, and one other thing...to base any information on Wikepedia is suspect. Much of it is user updated and user inputed..and errors abound. Wikepedia suffers from the biases of the writers and inputers of data, as well as simply unfortunate input errors (typing as well). The wikepedia site itself has such disclaimers and makes no claim as to the actual accurancy or validity of its information for legal and scientific purposes. This is the internet folks...not everything you read as a FACT is actually that. Not everything you see on the internet is true.
Then again, this is the internet...and because some one puts together a FAQ sheet on it...by gosh, it must be true...it just has to be...it has too be...my individual opinion and biases depend on it being true...please don't let it not be true...lol.

Everyone have a good day.

lilaznguy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow Ben, chill. :p

Pretty much all you did there was reiterate everything you'd said before, so even though you quoted Doc's whole post, it really wasn't a rebuttal so much as sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la la la la la." Doc never said it was science, nor that it was final, and you seem hung up on the idea that it's set in stone; this FAQ is a great idea and has the potential to be an immensely useful tool for anyone with general questions about penis size, but most importantly, it's a work in progress.

And sure, Wikipedia is prone to inaccuracy, but if your choices are:

a. all the socially and statistically defunct studies and surveys conducted in the past,
b. an edited compilation and interpretation of these studies in the form of a Wiki article, or
c. anecdotal experience (and we all know how much scientific fact that holds)

then really, the best you can hope to do is work with what you've got. If you want to make positive, helpful contributions and criticism, it would be of great benefit to this endeavor. If you don't like it, I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say that you probably ought to go back to your la la la's and find contentment elsewhere.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Perhaps it would help if Ben has a better reference for him to post it here. If it is going to be a FAQ and not just another thread where we argue for no real bloody reason. If you have a link to a study that you deem scientifically infallible (or even just better than the others) I would invite you to post it here and we can link people who want their question answered to you post. If not, it is unreasonable to expect that we conduct our own survey and I think we will just leave the statistics stand, flawed though they may be, they are better than having to provice a long drawn out response to a “frequently” asked question from our newer members.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I see no real point in getting involved in an internet pissing contest. I think I’ve said clearly enough that this “completely unofficial FAQ” is mine, and nowhere label it as “scientific FACT” in the way that so enrages Ben. It is editorially mediated in that I have an opinion both about the inputs, and about what constitutes acceptable ways to try to explain it even if it sacrifices absolute precision for clarity. I happen to think there is a vast difference between something being editorially simplified and it being completely worthless “bull shit” but Ben obviously disagrees. So be it. Ain’t internet democracy great?

Having conceded several times now that the thread still needs more citation, and now acknowledging that this fracas might have been avoided if it were, I do confess to being wearied by generalized arguments that are bigger and more unsupported than the ones under attack, especially when the most specific denunciations are of points I’ve conceded and, in the most recent case, actually raised myself.

Snarkiness aside, I still believe that a good, strong FAQ would be valuable to the board. I don’t have an investment, however, in the “correctness” of my conclusions. As best I can understand, Ben’s big problem with my FAQ is that he feels it underestimates the number of very large penises in the world. (The irony here is that many would agree that the estimation of the frequency of occurrence of extremely large (10+ inch) penises is dubious, since no examples show up at all in most measurement studies, but I would have expected the objection to be that I have accepted projections that are too generous. BigBen is the only person I have ever seen who argues that they are significantly undercounted this way.) He presents his case by citing his own penis (of still unspecified size, but presumably very large), his knowledge of an also unspecified number of other large penises, and to my great surprise an argument that LPSG is under-representative because not all men with a large penis belong to it. Huh? Still, if he turns out to be right, and really big dicks are a lot more common than I think the evidence supports, fine. That would be good information for a FAQ to contain. Alternate readings of the evidence, or the making available of just plain better evidence, could and would strengthen the usefulness of this thread and I would actually welcome them. Nothing would make me happier than a general ownership of this thread in the manner that several posters who are a whole lot smarter than me have already proposed above.

In the end, the one point of BigBen’s with which I totally disagree is this one:
“No way to know the true statistics of the general population of the planet.”
I think we have enough studies about penis size from around the world to work from to have a least a very good idea, good enough for a general information FAQ anyway, and I reject the fundamental premise of informational nihilism. We may not be able to know with absolute precision, but we can know within parameters that make the information useful. I find that more helpful than assuming imperfect information is junk.

Magnum10x2

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Only one in 10,000 exceeds 9.5 inches
Come-on….

I must know at least a dozen guys with 10 inchers

I think the data is off… I’d go for 1 in 100…

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Magnum10x2 said:
Only one in 10,000 exceeds 9.5 inches
Come-on….

I must know at least a dozen guys with 10 inchers

I think the data is off… I’d go for 1 in 100…

I think your measuring is off, more likely. :rolleyes:

Porn inches vs. cyber inches vs. guesstimate inches vs. measured-from-behind-the-ass inches vs. wishful-thinking inches vs. ruler inches.

driver1973uk

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wish I'd found this post first then I wouldn't have had to waste time (others mainly) with my own- I'm grateful for their help there too.
This seems to answer the question perfectly. Sticky this to the top of the LOT and then all us newbies will see it straight off.

sares

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this is awesome forties... thanks for compiling!!

zaza

Experimental Member
Media
so in my cross section of previous partners, all eight of them, I have had four 1 in 10`s. Three of them being abouve 6.5 inches.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
First off, there is a correlation between flaccid length and erect length. This was studied in Thunder'sPlace database (pre pe stats) and then compared with another site. For example, in the study of 3" vs 5" flaccids, 3" flaccids' mean average was 5.75" erect, and 5" flaccids mean average was 7.25" at erection. The beginning difference was 2" flaccid and ended up 1.5" difference erect, "growers" closed the gap by .50 inches but did not catch up.

I'll get to more of your pc 'facts'. Just don't have time right now.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've got a question, how do you measure girth? Just grab a tape measure and wrap it around?
That's it, you got it dude.

The world is so unfair. I spend a lifetime looking for even one, and some straight guy who doesn't need 'em finds a dozen.:mad:

Ain't that the truth! :mad:

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
First off, there is a correlation between flaccid length and erect length. This was studied in Thunder'sPlace database (pre pe stats) and then compared with another site.
For those who don't know here is the website description of the source cited above:

Thunder's Place is a free penis enlargement forum and information resource supported by donation. Penis enlargement techniques, videos and tutorials.

Always glad to hear another view, and encourage any and all to go there and judge for themselves the validity of the information.