A Couple of Elders Came to my Door

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mildly surprised that I got through to at least one of them on one point.

They had been told that equal marriage rights for same sex couples meant that their church would be forced to perform Temple weddings for gay and lesbian couples.

I also brought up families forcing gay kids to go through ex-gay programs, one of them agreed that this should not be done.

This is the second time that they have come to my door in the 19 years that I have lived here, the previous time I didn't talk to them.

ElDorado77

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
yeah, if you can get them to actually listen to what you have to say, usually you can get them to at least understand where you are coming from, and admit that people should get equal rights.... that is if you can get them to shut their mouths and open their ears.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Now what if gay people had to spend a year going around door to door in pairs recruiting, before they were admitted to the community?

sfniceguy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
They had been told that equal marriage rights for same sex couples meant that their church would be forced to perform Temple weddings for gay and lesbian couples.

Are you sure they said that? That's not consistent/logical with their own theology. Mormons don't even marry any/all str8 couples in their temples. Only those couples who are 1) baptized Mormons, and 2) are considered to be "worthy" of a temple marriage can be married. If the state can't force them to marry any str8 couple who wants to be married (e.g. non-Mormon str8 couples), how could the state force them to marry gay couples?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Any ex-mormons who served on missions remember the marks made on curbs or houses that indicate "We've been here. They're evil. Don't bother?" or something to that effect? My brother, who served on a mission for the mormons in 1963 would discuss this particular issue with our mother -- a devout, well-meaning and certifiably bi-polar woman who served as president of her ward's Relief Society for several years.

Maybe it's something mormons no longer do. But according to my family it was a common practice to leave "signs" for other "elders" for many years to avoid trouble.

I'd like to have some banners whipped up with those symbols and fly them proudly in front of my homes. I'm serious. Serious as a loaded hand gun.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Now what if gay people had to spend a year going around door to door in pairs recruiting, before they were admitted to the community?

*knock knock* good morning. have you considered how homosexuality might fit into your life? would you like some of our literature? no, there's no need to make a donation. we're just here to spread the word and hopefully to help a few people find their way to a better life. here's a card, if you have any questions please call to arrange an in house meeting.

*giggle fit with snorting and flailing*

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you sure they said that? That's not consistent/logical with their own theology. Mormons don't even marry any/all str8 couples in their temples. Only those couples who are 1) baptized Mormons, and 2) are considered to be "worthy" of a temple marriage can be married. If the state can't force them to marry any str8 couple who wants to be married (e.g. non-Mormon str8 couples), how could the state force them to marry gay couples?

The LDS church is very militant against same sex marriage, which is why the contributed about $8 million of money, resources and manpower into California before the Prop 8 referendum.

Naturally, the state has no jurisdiction over to whom any church chooses to perform the wedding ceremony, but I am willing to bet that some LDS people are being taught something different in the intensive indoctrination that is going on about this.

Its not the first time the truth was stretched in the name of God while recruiting people to a "righteous" cause.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

No, and I am acquanted with their eternal temple marriages.

I said that I objected to the enormous amount of money their church had spent directly on Prop 8 could have been much more decently utilized, such as feeding people in Darfur. They had Prop 8 backward, and said it would take away their religious rights, I explained what it really was, and that same sex marriage had before it been legal for several months. Did thay know of a temple in Ca during that period being forced to do a same sex wedding? It has been entirely legal in Canada and Mass., did they know of a temple there being forced to do a marriage? I said that, for example, a catholic priest would not marry a couple unless they were members, and there was a process to be followed before they would conducet it, even for a parishoner.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I hate it when families force kids to do stuff.

Like go to bed, take a shower, do your homework.

Are you people interested in doing what's right or being right?
bi,
Hatred and bigotry are never right. And the evidence shows that programs designed to 'pray away the gay' in someone do not work. And given that some 1000 species exhibit some form of homosexuality, I maintain that forcing kids into 'reorientation' programs that castigate their naturally occuring sexual orientation is pretty close to emotional child abuse.

So yes, I am interested in being right and doing what is right. And none of those things include emotional child abuse.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Were you wearing anything when you opened the door Kalipygian??

I had been working outside, and had come in for a bit of lunch, I was wearing work clothes, Black Carhartts, and a plain, and paint stained, T-shirt. I didn't think to look and see who was at the door, and change. I don't often have anyone knock on the door, it is almost always the next door neighbor.

B_bi_in_socal

Just Browsing
Media
bi,
Hatred and bigotry are never right. And the evidence shows that programs designed to 'pray away the gay' in someone do not work. And given that some 1000 species exhibit some form of homosexuality, I maintain that forcing kids into 'reorientation' programs that castigate their naturally occuring sexual orientation is pretty close to emotional child abuse.

So yes, I am interested in being right and doing what is right. And none of those things include emotional child abuse.

Hatred can be good sometimes. If a parent sees a child heading down a path that will leave them old and lonely, the parent should intervene. Hatred can be good, especially if it is the hatred of certain behaviors.

I have more respect for the sovereignty of parents than I do for government.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The LDS church is very militant against same sex marriage, which is why the contributed about $8 million of money, resources and manpower into California before the Prop 8 referendum.

Naturally, the state has no jurisdiction over to whom any church chooses to perform the wedding ceremony, but I am willing to bet that some LDS people are being taught something different in the intensive indoctrination that is going on about this.

Its not the first time the truth was stretched in the name of God while recruiting people to a "righteous" cause.

Exactly. I wish my brain worked as well as yours does, in a live discussion, I never put things so well.