A.D.D or A.D.H.D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Landshark77, May 13, 2005.

1. Landshark77

Landshark77 Member

Are there any other guys in here with A.D.D? If so, do you think it affects how fast you cum? Just curious.

2. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    any competent psychologist will tell you that "ADD" is just a group of common symptoms of other disorders, not a disorder in its own right. it's one of those half-assed illnesses the pharmaceutical industry invented to scam more money off of a hypochondriac consumer base. because psychoactive medicines are the most difficult to assess in terms of validity and performance, they represent a golden opportunity for drugs companies to take advantage of doctors and patients alike. ADD is one of the best examples, but it's by no means the only one.

3. Imported

Gold Member

ravenously: I have A.D.H.D, Dr Rock, and let me assure you it is real! My youngest sister also has it, and we both are dislexic. I'm no longer medicated, and I've never noticed any effect on sexual performence. My sister is still medicated, and desperately needs it to function normaly. I do agree that too many times medication for add is persrcibed, often add is not the root problem. But, just because the diagnosis is abused, is no reason to malign those of us that struggle w/ this very real disorder.

4. D_that's a tall order

D_that's a tall order Account Disabled

Some people think I have ADD, but I think they are full of - oh, look! A bug!

5. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    The thing is everyone has different natural level of concentration. There are times when I act ADD. It simply a matter of how much concentration you can muster at the time, and true cases of ADD are when there is so little ability to concentrate that it impedes normal everyday functions.

There is a commercial on TV which describes ADD well, and how I linked my own behavior with it. Its like your brain keeps flipping the channels. Your focus goes from one thing to the next stoppign on each topic only briefly (could be minutes, could be seconds).

As for the sexual link, it shouldnt affect sexual performance. ADD is a nervous condition. It is likely linked to some part of the intangible mind that we have yet to discover. I say this because of medications mixed results...

6. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    Actually my mother hates it when she tries to ge tme to hlep her in the garden for that exact reason...

7. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

It's good that you point out this fact, ravenously. When it's full scale ADD or ADHD it's dramatic and sad. One of my granddaughters is ADD and were it not for medication her life would have been worse hell than it has been, which is a lot.
    She's brilliant and has excelled in school until now that she's 20, won't take her medicaton, has wrong friends, and will probably loose her scholarship and be happy working part time at Blockbusters for mininum wage. Her 19 year old sister, who is also brilliant, applies herself and is the opposite in most ways to her ADD sister. I know what you have been through, along with your family, and believe me my heart goes out to you.

Luke

8. UgotMales

UgotMales New Member

Well all I can tell from reading the posts is that Dr.Rock is an uneducated idiot who seems to have an incorrect oppinion about everything. Also seems to be a very angry unhappy juvinile personality. As for the post ADD is real and I dont think it has anything to do with the speed at which you cum. That would be based on the nervous system, your leved of "turned-on-ness", and how sensitive you are to sexual input. However I think it would lend itsself to more active and interesting sex, as one position would become boring sooner prompting a change.

9. Dr Rock

Gold Member

there's a jar in the corner for tears, Ugotmales. try not to fill it up in case I make avgbritguy cry again too.

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

ADD and ADHD are both recoginized disoders according to the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition). This manual is used to diagnose all kinds of disorders from schizophrenia to premature ejaculation.

I have AD/HD and am not medicated. I have not noticed any effects on my sex life. I do not take medications but do drink coffee (a stimulant) which, in effect, acts as a medication as most ADD/ADHD meds are stimulants.

11. steve319

Gold Member

In a way, everyone is right. Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder is a recognized medical condition (defined as a neurologically based chemical disorder), but, as Dr.Rock said and like other medical diagnoses, it may be an amagamation of other symptoms, and that may explain why it's diagnosis, treatment, and evolution aren't that predictable.

It can occur with or without the hyperactivity characteristics; the same symptoms can be present due to learning disabilities (which ADHD is not) when ADHD is not present; Depending on the source, about 70% of those with ADHD also have a learning disability of some sort (talk about vague diagnostics!), but the reverse is not true.

It is also true that this an overused diagnosis, resulting in medications being used as a means of control for children with behavioral or emotional disorders instead of as treatment for a chemical disorder. The meds are overprescribed, in my opinion, and a lot of that has to do with the push by the pharmaceutical industry (as with antidepressants).

That does not mean that there aren't plenty of legitimate cases out there; I've worked with lots of students who have truly seemed to need and benefit from their meds. While statistics vary depending on where you look (also attributable to the poor diagnostic record?) there are some more general numbers worth looking at. About half of those diagnosed with the disorder as kids seem to "outgrow" it by adulthood (raising even more questions about the legitimacy of all of those diagnoses), but others struggle with the symptoms as adults.

The tendency to "outgrow" it may have to do with physiological changes correcting the chemical imbalance, but that may also be a reflection of the development of personal behaviors that compensate for the symptoms. And that can be hampered by the medication too. Double-edged sword.

I'd be interested to hear about those of you who have been diagnosed and whether you use medication now or have "outgrown" the disorder (and why). This is a very real condition, but experiences vary greatly, I think.

It's interesting you would ask about the impact on sexual response. I had a student who insisted that ADHD sometimes made it tougher for him to maintain an erection or reach orgasm because he didn't focus very well on the sexual act--that his concentration would wander. Interesting reaction, I think.

Also, are the medications known to have any impact on sexual function?

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

I'm sure a lot of people with these symptoms benefit from the medication - I wasn't saying "the whole thing is a scam and there's really nothing wrong with them." I'm just pointing out that ADD is not a "stand-alone" illness and will almost always be a direct result of other problems which are not nearly so easy to diagnose or treat. ultimately I suspect the vast majority of patients would benefit more overall (and be less dependent on meds long-term) if the underlying causes could be addressed more effectively.

13. Landshark77

Landshark77 Member

Not funny.

14. Imported

Gold Member

ravenously: Luke, thank you for your kind words.

Ugotmales, I appreciate Dr rocks posts most of the time ( maybe because I'm a cynic myself), and I do like to change sexual positions frequently.
    Steve, you make several good points. By the way what happened to the blood of the inocennt that tanted your posts?

Dr rock, it's not fair for you to make everybody cry, give some of us others a chance for once :evilgrin:

15. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Mom told him to take some time out and let me be the evil twin once in a while! :D

16. LongTimeComing

Yes, and see my user name! I don't know if the ADD has anything to do with it.

I've got a lot more to say in response to some of the other posts, but I don't have the time to get into it right now.

17. steve319

Gold Member

I think the world is fresh out of innocents these days, ravenously. <sigh>

Plus DMW is right--it&#39;s his turn to carry the torch of larger-than-life E-VIL behavior for awhile. Maintaining all-evil, all the time status is a lot more pressure than you would expect. I don&#39;t see how Dr.Rock keeps it up full-time....

(kidding&#33;) ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted