A Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Hey Sailor, Jul 17, 2011.

1. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

Is anyone else reading the series of novels, or has meant to after the HBO series aired? :deal:

I am on book 3 right now (A Storm of Swords)... I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the novels, but I am hooked!

(discussion of the show is also cool with me :grouphug:)

2. midwestbeef

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I watched the series on HBO and it got me very interested in the books. I think I'm going to start reading them soon, since fantasy is my favorite genre anyways. How are the books compared to the show?

3. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

The first season was almost book 1 verbatim, but as you might expect, some things were added in or re-arranged. Numerous smaller details were removed, but nothing that would necessitate you read the first book before moving on to the others if you have seen the show.

The characters become *much* more fleshed as well. I am finding myself liking people such as Jaime or Theon, who were more or less despicable in book 1/season 1.

#3 D_Hey Sailor, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. KingDingelingThe2n

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The books are great. I liked the show, getting to see some faces to the persons i only imagined before. But since i already knew what would happen it became a little boring after the first few episodes.

I am reading the fifth book, which was released a few days ago.

Btw: There are also short stories worth looking at in addition to the main novels.

MsMoxie, you could always come over to my place to...talk about the books *cough* ;)

5. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

The redeeming quality of the show for me was what you touched upon: the re-imagining of things.

Things like the Throne, Tywin Lannister's armor, or the wall were all interesting to see depicted. Should be lots more eye-candy to come!

6. ausbiboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I haven't read the books yet, but the TV series really makes me want to. I watched it online as it hasn't come out to Aus yet and got hooked on it right away... watching an episode, sometimes 2 a night. Now I have to wait for season 2, or get stuck into the books.

7. witch

witch Member

8. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

That's what it came down to for me! Wait for another season, then again, and again, and again..... Or just read the bloody books. :pokey:

Books won.

I might even buy the latest as an eBook so I can listen to it at work. :bandit:

9. KingDingelingThe2n

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I could read it to you when you are not at work :p

I am wondering what to do when i finished A dance with dragons. It'll feel like a very long time until the next book is released. Well, it might actually last a very long time, since this book took 5 or 6 years...

10. ausbiboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'd get too distracted to read MsMoxie a book, unless we'd agreed to roleplay all the hot scenes or something ;)

I may have to go down the same path, read the books rather than wait for series 2. One of the things I like, apart from the visuals is the surprises and twists thrown in. I guess I shouldn't add details as it may spoil it for others... :)

11. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

... I would have thought there was enough sex and dirty dialogue in A Game of Thrones to tide men over on its own. :bigeyes2:

12. ausbiboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, I haven't read the books yet. I get the feeling it'd definitely be good entree, but I'd be constantly eyeing the main course.

13. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES OR READ THE BOOK, SKIP THIS POST.

I'm reading Book 2 right now and started reading after the season ended. I'm addicted to the story.

The main reason I wanted to read it was because of Ned Stark's execution scene. It disappointed me because I didn't see Ned as someone willing to capitulate that easily. I was pretty sure the book would've explained things differently. Lo and behold, it wasn't the execution scene that fell short, it was Varys' scene with Ned in the dungeon beforehand. The book made an excellent argument for Ned to recant. The movie just made him seem almost cowardly.

Although the scene where Catelyn recruits all the patrons in the tavern to arrest Tyrion was handled beautifully in the show, but seemed to fall flat in the book.

Really looking forward to season 2 and the rest of the books now.

14. JustAsking

Gold Member

Reading book #1 on a Nook. I found that the HBO show was very faithful to the book so far. Both the book and the show are so well executed that I recommend either or both to anyone.

I have been a fan of these high production value HBO series every since the Sopranos. Thrones is up there with the Sopranos and Deadwood for production values.

15. D_Dierks Bentwilly

D_Dierks Bentwilly New Member

I just finished the first in the series and am looking for a copy of the second. I couldn't believe how closely the show was modeled off the book. Really great story telling.

16. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

FYI, book 4 is sort of sucky.

I am half way through it now, and after you finish book 3, it's a bit of an anathema. I am trying to drag it out since after this, there's only one book left, and then a veeeery long wait for another. :frown1:

17. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard that about book 4. I've also heard book 5 makes up for it. I'm a third of the way through book 3 now and kind of don't want it to end (dreading having to go through book 4).

18. D_Hey Sailor

D_Hey Sailor New Member

Book 2 and 3 are just a blur to me. They fit together so well... the dialogue was blissful, characters evolved in delicious ways, epic events unfolded... You'll enjoy the rest of 3! :evil:

4 is bland in comparison, and focuses on a large number of new characters who are a bit harder to love.

19. D_Dierks Bentwilly

D_Dierks Bentwilly New Member

I just finished A Clash of Kings and can't wait to dig into A Storm of Swords. I'm sorry to hear that the series loses a bit of its momentum.

Also, how long do I have to wait for Joffrey to get his?

20. randomoniker

randomoniker New Member

Don't believe it. I'm reading 4 now and it's just as amazing as the previous 3, IMO. I cannot see why anyone would say 4 isn't as good.

Don't worry about Joff. Valar morghulis.

Draft saved Draft deleted