A good book.

D_Sal_Manilla

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
anybody have a good book recommendation?

I'm half way through 1984 by George Orwell. Really good.

not really into too much fantasy.
something believable.

strog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Mods, please be kind to this man; his post is humorous enough to excuse its flagrant disregard for the meaning of the "Fictitious Stories" sub-forum.

Vladamir, I find 1984 to be a godless, inferior knock-off of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, which I advise that you switch over to and read immediately. I also recommend Leo Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich as being the greatest short story ever written.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
aahh strog
would you be an aged pseudo intellect, 9 posts since 2009, come on with a supposed important intent, to 'rubbish' a ... 18 yr old, who is new, learning his way in this world and chosen to read orwells 84.
yeah i was a dum ass .. still am, but i enjoyed orwells 84 & animal farm also, when i read it way back, as a younger..
WHAT, yuve never made indifferent reading choices, in yr learned life ............baaaah

and appealing to mods re a wrong selection of forum / topic, dont cut it..........

floopypoo22

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
F-ing intellectuals, just because 1984 isn't extremely dense and convoluted doesn't mean it is only suitable reading for the younger generations, as a person of any age and/or intellectual capacity should find it highly compelling and surprisingly prescient (though while the book imagines a dystopian Communist system run amok, strangely enough, the same phenomena it describes are increasingly prevalent in our current oligarchical reality). Concepts similar (and sometimes even identical to) Big Brother, crimethink, doublethink, newspeak, and even the "two minute hate" are so undeniably present in our modern society, sometimes I wonder whether many of our politicians haven't been utilizing the novel as a veritable playbook for maintaining the status quo. And don't forget, of course, the ultimate phrase that effectively outlines the very root of evil in the hearts of men:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever."

I've read Brave New World also, and while it is also a great story, and similarly exhibits a strong foreknowledge of things to come, I feel that Welles' overall point is both clearer and of greater significance to the modern world.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
EM Forster, The Machine Stops, is a short story written a generation before Orwell, but possibly more on the money than either1984 or Brave New World in predicting the way things seem to be going.

Anyone read it?

floopypoo22

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sounds pretty good, I'll give it a go. Kind of ironic though, that you should use the internet to recommend a book that warns of a future with little first-hand experience.

hyphap

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
EM Forster, The Machine Stops, is a short story written a generation before Orwell, but possibly more on the money than either1984 or Brave New World in predicting the way things seem to be going.

Anyone read it?

I haven't read it, but actually saw a theatrical adaptation of it that was really excellent. Short but powerful.