A good book.

Discussion in 'Fictitious Stories' started by D_Sal_Manilla, Jan 9, 2012.

1. D_Sal_Manilla

D_Sal_Manilla Account Disabled

anybody have a good book recommendation?

I'm half way through 1984 by George Orwell. Really good.

not really into too much fantasy.
    something believable.

2. strog

strog New Member

Mods, please be kind to this man; his post is humorous enough to excuse its flagrant disregard for the meaning of the "Fictitious Stories" sub-forum.

Vladamir, I find 1984 to be a godless, inferior knock-off of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, which I advise that you switch over to and read immediately. I also recommend Leo Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich as being the greatest short story ever written.

3. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    aahh strog
    would you be an aged pseudo intellect, 9 posts since 2009, come on with a supposed important intent, to 'rubbish' a ... 18 yr old, who is new, learning his way in this world and chosen to read orwells 84.
    yeah i was a dum ass .. still am, but i enjoyed orwells 84 & animal farm also, when i read it way back, as a younger..
    WHAT, yuve never made indifferent reading choices, in yr learned life ............baaaah

and appealing to mods re a wrong selection of forum / topic, dont cut it..........

4. floopypoo22

floopypoo22 Active Member

F-ing intellectuals, just because 1984 isn't extremely dense and convoluted doesn't mean it is only suitable reading for the younger generations, as a person of any age and/or intellectual capacity should find it highly compelling and surprisingly prescient (though while the book imagines a dystopian Communist system run amok, strangely enough, the same phenomena it describes are increasingly prevalent in our current oligarchical reality). Concepts similar (and sometimes even identical to) Big Brother, crimethink, doublethink, newspeak, and even the "two minute hate" are so undeniably present in our modern society, sometimes I wonder whether many of our politicians haven't been utilizing the novel as a veritable playbook for maintaining the status quo. And don't forget, of course, the ultimate phrase that effectively outlines the very root of evil in the hearts of men:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever."

I've read Brave New World also, and while it is also a great story, and similarly exhibits a strong foreknowledge of things to come, I feel that Welles' overall point is both clearer and of greater significance to the modern world.

5. Max

Max New Member

EM Forster, The Machine Stops, is a short story written a generation before Orwell, but possibly more on the money than either1984 or Brave New World in predicting the way things seem to be going.

Anyone read it?

6. floopypoo22

floopypoo22 Active Member

Sounds pretty good, I'll give it a go. Kind of ironic though, that you should use the internet to recommend a book that warns of a future with little first-hand experience.

7. hyphap

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I haven't read it, but actually saw a theatrical adaptation of it that was really excellent. Short but powerful.

8. D_Sal_Manilla

D_Sal_Manilla Account Disabled

Sorry for the thread mistake but thanks as well?

I will give your selections a try. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted