A Good Indicator That He Might Be Gay...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Oct 23, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

1. His ipod is loaded up with Celine Dion or Mariah Carey. Or techno/trance/house mixes. Or showtunes.

2. He starts a conversation about that hideous Rodarte gown Reese Witherspoon wore to the Oscars. And he is too well-versed on the new Dolce and Gabbana product line.

3. He name-drops gourmet and foreign foods... Crêpes Suzette, Lobster Thermidor, madeleines., black truffle-stuffed brie... He owns a Jell-O mold.

4. He knows the character names of far too many of the desperate housewives on Wisteria Lane.

5. He is too detailed in color descriptions, and knows obscure clothing catalogue colors: ecru, taupe, mauve, fuchsia, chartreuse, lilac, periwinkle, salmon, raw sienna.

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think tip #2 should be #1. All the other things I know str8 guys that know those things. The other tips seem like Felix Unger type things alot of str8 guys might know.

3. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Hells --- How many straight guys refer to the color of their button-down shirt as "periwinkle" or "salmon"?

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Periwinkle..maybe not but salmon fer sure. I guess the str8 guys that like shellfish would be more likely to mention periwinkle. Esp if it was their last name. :rolleyes: But I live in NYC and know alot of str8 guys in the fashioon industry and those terms just roll off their lips b/c they deal w/those names all the time all day long.

5. JustAsking

Gold Member

No, I think Wiltom is right. I would be more apt to say something is salmon colored but only because I love salmon. I am aware of all of those other colors he mentioned but I am sure I have never used them in a complete sentence. I know about the organism called periwinkle, but I have no idea what color the word applies to.

Your fashion guys are an exception, I am sure. But also keep in mind that I am an old guy, so the answer might be different if you asked my heterosexual, but somewhat metrosexual college age son. I might just be an ignorant old guy who no longer represents what it means to be cluelessly heterosexual when it comes to color and design.

Oh, I do watch Project Runway pretty regularly. I enjoy the straight and gay contestants, but none of the gay-itude actually rubs off on me. No, wait, I probably use the world "fierce" more now. But we all have to admit that Christopher is special in his ability to be infectious.

6. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yeah see? I have no interest in Celine Dion and I only like the pre-Diva Mariah Carey stuff. She was a stone fox at the time of her first album and her talent was astonishing and brilliant. Its not that I don't appreciate the performance art aspects of people like Cher and Lady Gaga. In fact, after her recent SNL appearance I am an avid Gaga fan both for her talent, her engaging personality and stage presence, and her wacky performance art stuff.

I still think I fail the test, though. My wife likes Gaga for the very same reason.

7. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Hells, this was just a stupid thread indicating in general what things might set off your gaydar.

Any man mentioning (or wearing) the color "chartreuse" triggers your gaydar.

Any man mentioning Michael Bublé in general triggers your gaydar.

Any man humming from Stephen Sondheim's "Follies" or "Sunday in the Park with George" triggers your gaydar.

Or drinking a caramel macchiato with whipped cream.

Here's an example.

A few months ago, you & I were discussing Olivia Newton-John's repertoire (including "Magic" and "Xanadu") and you made the declaritive statement --

"There are no cheesey Olivia songs!""

which makes one's gaydar go off like alarm bells.

#7 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Black truffle-stuffed brie, indeed. I rue the day...:biggrin1:

And you forgot burnt umber. :rolleyes:

9. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Burnt Umber is listed on this "shades of brown" chart:

Burnt umber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you have used any of the colors sepia, russet, ecru, buff, ochre, or cordovan in general conversation in the past year, then the chances of your being gay just increased by 5,000 percent.

10. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Ooops. Time to repaint my house with beige :redface:

11. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    How anyone listens to trance/house/techno is the more important thing here.

12. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...Any man who's seen "The Wizard Of Oz", "Myra Breckinridge", or "Valley Of The Dolls" more than a few times each triggers Your gaydar.

Any man who's single past age 40 triggers Your gaydar.

Any man who's record collection contains titles by Bernadette Peters, John Barrowman, Pet Shop Boys, Dame Shirley Bassey, or Scissor Sisters triggers Your gaydar.

Any man who owns a Cher doll triggers Your gaydar.

Any man even remotely familiar with names like Joseph Sayers, Michael Churchill, Levi Poulter, or Rusty Joiner triggers Your gaydar.

Any man who squees at the mere mention of the name "Mrs. Brolin" triggers Your gaydar.

13. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Crap, according to this I'm officially straight!

14. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I don't even say those things 40% of the time.

Crap, now I have to adjust my percentages!:mad: :wink:

15. D_Portelay Porquesword

6. He can recommend at leat two good wild crafted organic lotions for knee calouses from giving way too many blow jobs in the dressing room at Armani Exchange.

This is unbelievable. I don't know half this stuff and I am gay. LOL

16. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep, clearly straight here too!

17. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

In fact no self respecting queer would listen to Trance anymore, and only americans and guys who drive appallingly pimped cheap cars who live in Essex or Munich listen to or call anything "Techno" anymore.

Elderly references people.

18. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Agreed^.

I think one of the indicators could be having a penis in his mouth :biggrin1:

19. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Count #4 as useless trivia, or as victimization if you had to endure the original advertising and promo blitz by ABC for the show. I know all their names. I even used to watch it every now and then. I just got over it.

Count #5 as useless if you're an art or fashion student. Or someone who worked in retail. We scanned too many tags; we know color codes. Just 'cause I know it doesn't mean I speak the language, you dig?

20. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I was tempted to say a good indicator might be the smell of cock on his breath but thought better of it :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted