A haunting near you....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Barbi_Queue, May 16, 2005.

1. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Follow link - scroll down to your state. Find your city.

http://theshadowlands.net/places/

What's the most interesting one near you?

mine: Hanover - Dartmouth College - Alpha Theta - Likely due to the untimely deaths of fraternity brothers and their unidentified female "companions" due to a boiler explosion and fire in the house many decades ago, specters have been seen and the presence of spirits detected in various parts of the house. Hot spots are primarily in and around the remaining original structure - the house basement.

2. steve319

Gold Member

Well, none of the NC choices are all that close to me, really, but this one isn't too far and has some fun flair to it.

Asheville - The Biltmore Estate - Back in 1914, George W. Vanderbilt died from complications from a surgery he had for appendicitis. His wife was extremely upset. So late at nights, in the Library, she would sit in front of the large marble fireplace, and talk with George. Though he was never really there. Her servants started to think she was losing her mind. To this day late at night you can still hear her voice very softly talking with George. Also, You can feel George's presence in the Billiard Room, and the 2nd floor Oak Sitting room. One of his favorite rooms in the mansion. During rainy late nights, George would sit and read. Workers report feelings of being watched, apparitions, voices, laughing, & screams. A headless orange cat has been seen by numerous visitors roaming the area between the Gardens and the Bass pond. The Pool Room is also a focal point of unexplainable events. The sound of people swimming echoes throughout the entire lower floor in the dead of night. Insane laughter can be heard coming from the drain at the bottom of the pool. It is said to be haunted by a lady in black. Employees report hearing footsteps on the second floor.

Isn't that headless cat thing interesting? I was really struck by how many of the stories at that site read like those cautionary urban legends--the don't-have-sex-or-you'll-die type.

There are a couple of very local "hot spots" that aren't mentioned, but I suspect that we all have local spooky legends.

Enjoyable link there, TexAssgirl!

3. D_Barbi_Queue

My guess is that they'll be a lot more stories for those on the East coast since the history here is older, especially for those that live in Virginia around Williamsburg.

4. major_7

major_7 New Member

Boca Raton - Florida Atlantic University - Humanities Bldg - has a ghost that has been spotted by employees on night shifts. She was seen at the top of the amphitheatre crying, when approached, she vanished. When locking building up at night, one person started on the third floor, checking & locking all the classroom doors. When he got to the second floor, he radioed in that there was someone on the third floor running through the halls slamming the doors. He and another unit went to the third floors from opposite ends and found all the doors locked, nothing out of place, and no one in the building.

This might explain why I got an A- in History of World Civilization!!!

The mysterious crying lady vanished with my A!!!

5. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

There were way to many in my area...

6. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

There were a lot of them around me, too. One of them is at the college that is two blocks from my house, one is at a historic village nearby where the movie "Patriot" was shot, and there are a bunch within 15 or 20 miles of me, too.
    I've heard stories about some of these places, but never believed it.

7. D_Barbi_Queue

I was checking out New York and ran across this one:

Long Island - Stony Brook - Mary's Grave - She murdered her two children and her husband. Her gravesite is a center for strange happenings. Her marker has her birth date but no death date. - December 2003 Update: There is a different variation on that story that seems to be the most heard of around there. Supposedly Mary was the daughter of a rich land owner that owned that area and formed the town there. He was a loner and built his house way out from the town. He also had a son. She had no friends and her father built her a stone club house on the property for her to play. She liked animals and wuld play with them in her stone clubhouse. Supposedly she was possessed by a spirit and started mutilating the animals on a stone table in her clubhouse. Later on she killed her father and her brother with an axe. After the some time the townspeople went to see what had happened the the land owner and found her sleeping in her fathers bed with him covered in blood. They hung her on a tree on the property. The tree is there on the side of the road. It always looks dead all year long. The burn marks from her rope are on the tree branch. Up the hill is the house. You can see a figure sitting in the window looking down on the road. Now that part of the house is supposed to be blocked off. Her stone clubhouse is on the road just a bit further up. The way it went was back in the 60's and 70's you were the big tough guy if you went up to Mary's grave and urinated on it. They say whoever did would get into a car accident on the way back swerving to avoid hitting a girl in a white dress. The gravesite has been lost or nobody really remembers where it is, but all the other things are there.

8. steve319

Gold Member

Tell me: who would urinate on a grave and think that's the thing to do? :eyes:

9. D_Barbi_Queue

sure as hell not me! I have a hard time walking on a grave even if a path leads right over it.

10. steve319

Gold Member

Me too! How disrespectful of the family can you get?

Plus, I'm as logical as many, but I think I've read (and shivered to) way too much horror fiction to just ask for ugly retribution like that. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted