A horse is a horse, of course of course...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
:confused: You can't see stripes on black and white TV?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
RTFL

"The difficulty in resolving closely integrated black and white images on non-color television receivers was one of the primary reasons NFL games were not regularly televised until the mid-1960s, when sales of color TV sets started to outstrip those of black-and-white models. When black-and-white television predominated in the nation's living rooms, football games were too often disrupted when players ran into the referees, whose black-and-white striped uniform tops made them nearly invisible to onlookers. Likewise, Johnny Cash's famous televised live concert performance at California's Folsom Prison in January 1968 proved disastrous when several inmates wearing the traditional black and white prisoner's garb slipped unnoticed past guards, who had been provided only black and white monitors with which to view the proceedings."

EDIT:
Though the bolded bit makes no sense.

Why would the players not be able to see the referees?

*goes and does some research*

Dang it!! I was had

http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp

"Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra [...]"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't get what players seeing a ref has to do with black and white monitors.

HAHAHA!

Dang this surely got to show you can't really believe anything you read.
I always knew that stripes were difficult for tv cameras in the day to replicate but never thought it would have been that bad.

Last edited:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
RTFL

"The difficulty in resolving closely integrated black and white images on non-color television receivers was one of the primary reasons NFL games were not regularly televised until the mid-1960s, when sales of color TV sets started to outstrip those of black-and-white models. When black-and-white television predominated in the nation's living rooms, football games were too often disrupted when players ran into the referees, whose black-and-white striped uniform tops made them nearly invisible to onlookers. Likewise, Johnny Cash's famous televised live concert performance at California's Folsom Prison in January 1968 proved disastrous when several inmates wearing the traditional black and white prisoner's garb slipped unnoticed past guards, who had been provided only black and white monitors with which to view the proceedings."

EDIT:
Though the bolded bit makes no sense.

Why would the players not be able to see the referees?

*goes and does some research*

Dang it!! I was had

snopes.com: False Authority

"Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra [...]"

:rolleyes:

Aha, I didn't even read that section. I just figured, y'know... they rarely show any more than just Ed's head, so it'd be easy to mask stripes.