Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NO it's not me, nor is it the metaphorical "friend" who is also me lol, it's really for my friend.

He had a problem with drugs, as so many do, but is clean now but has a felony charge against him. He was released from jail on September 9th just to be turned away from EVERY job he's tried to find (even Walmart and Home Depot). He's still young, only 22 years old, and hearing him talk it just seems like he has absolutely no options for the next decade until his record is expunged.

Does anybody know of any opportunities that hire ex-felons? I keep trying to tell him that he needs to pay for his stupid decisions, that he knew full well what he was getting into all those years he did drugs, and that he's not going to be happy working at the places he'd get hired at, but I can't give him any 100% answers as to where those places would be.

Any help would be great, and Merry Christmas to everyone :)

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
One of my family members is in that boat. I don't know for sure which industries might employ felons, but I would imagine most blue collar work such as construction or trades like plumbing would. Home Depot not hiring felons kinda surprises me.

sukmycock00

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yea. that brought his self esteem down a lot...like...he checked that box and everything, and then they hired him. A week later they fired him because they said they finally got his background check back, which is kinda bullsh** but yea...I'm just trying to give him some hope cuz he's at that point where he's not seeing a real benefit to staying clean, so I gotta try and give him somethin

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Yea. that brought his self esteem down a lot...like...he checked that box and everything, and then they hired him. A week later they fired him because they said they finally got his background check back, which is kinda bullsh** but yea...I'm just trying to give him some hope cuz he's at that point where he's not seeing a real benefit to staying clean, so I gotta try and give him somethin
With my family member it's always taken a few months for the felony to be discovered by their employer. I'm not sure why, but they've managed to eke out a living for the last two years with three different jobs that way.

I believe UPS does. He could also join the military. Most companies wouldn't hire a felon if the job requires direct public contact or handling money or sensitive material, but plenty do if the job is for something else. I found an interesting video about it but don't know if it's of any help.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He should start his own business. Or become an independent contractor if he can scrape it together to get an education.

Only employers ask those kinds of questions (background check type questions).

Or become a day-worker outside a Home Depot or something. This is one way that tons and tons and tons of illegal aliens in CA get jobs without any kind of background check.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
blue collar jobs are the jobs most likely to hire people who have felony records, especially when it doesn't involve any direct public contact aside from the people you work with. your friend can take some short-term vocational classes where he can get on the job training and possibly job placement as well. best of luck to you both, and merry christmas :smile:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The National HIRE Network.

he might try checking out the resource links from MDRC.org, the organization is slanted more toward assistance and support for lower income employees, but ya will find some useful links for people dealing with the dreaded felony box.

The Salvation Army has a few community based programs for post-release hires.

the local unemployment agency office should have a listing of employers with a less close minded hiring policy.

some states have post-release training programs. check around for services available in his area.

*tries to avoid several ramble/rants*

ubered

Experimental Member
Media
He could always turn things around to help people in his situation (addicts, ex-addict reinsertion, careers advice, adult education, NGOs, local authorities). Extra training needed, but once he has that, his record may actually work in his favour as he'll be better placed to understand those he'd be working with. This option would also put something back into the community. How's that?