A kiss is just a kiss?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lesbian kisses at game ignite Seattle debate
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Most of the time, a kiss is just a kiss in the stands at Seattle Mariners games. The crowd hardly even pays attention when fans smooch.

But last week, a lesbian complained that an usher at Safeco Field asked her to stop kissing her date because it was making another fan uncomfortable.

The incident has exploded on local TV, on talk radio and in the blogosphere and has touched off a debate over public displays of affection in generally gay-friendly Seattle.

"Certain individuals have not yet caught up. Those people see a gay or lesbian couple and they stare or say something," said Josh Friedes of Equal Rights Washington. "This is one of the challenges of being gay. Everyday things can become sources of trauma."

As the Mariners played the Boston Red Sox on May 26, Sirbrina Guerrero and her date were approached in the third inning by an usher who told them their kissing was inappropriate, Guerrero said.

The usher, Guerrero said, told them he had received a complaint from a woman nearby who said that there were kids in the crowd of nearly 36,000 and that parents would have to explain why two women were kissing.

"I was really just shocked," Guerrero said. "Seattle is so gay-friendly. There was a couple like seven rows ahead making out. We were just showing affection."

On Monday, Mariners spokeswoman Rebecca Hale said that the club is investigating but that the usher was responding to a complaint of two women "making out" and "groping" in the stands.

"We have a strict non-discrimination policy at the Seattle Mariners and at Safeco Field, and when we do enforce the code of conduct it is based on behavior, not on the identity of those involved," Hale said.

The code of conduct -- announced before each game -- specifically mentions public displays of affection that are "not appropriate in a public, family setting." Hale said those standards are based on what a "reasonable person" would find inappropriate.

Guerrero denied she and her date were groping each other, saying that along with eating garlic fries, they were giving each other brief kisses.

On Tuesday, Guerrero said a Mariners director of guest services had apologized to her. The team spokeswoman could not immediately confirm that.

After the story broke, the Mariners were blasted by the sex-advice columnist Dan Savage, who wrote about the incident on the blog of the Stranger, an alternative weekly paper.
"I constantly see people making out," Savage said. "My son has noticed and asked, 'Do they show the ballgame on women's foreheads?'"

Savage called for a "kiss-in" to protest against the Mariners.
Web sites have been swamped with blog postings for and against Guerrero and her date. And the story has people talking in Seattle.

"I would be uncomfortable" seeing public displays of affection between lesbians or gay men, said Jim Ridneour, a 54-year-old taxi driver. "I don't think it's right seeing women kissing in public. If I had my family there, I'd have to explain what's going on."

"It all depends on the degree," Mark Ackerman said as he waited for a hot dog outside Safeco Field before Wednesday's game. "Even for heterosexual couples."

Since the incident, Guerrero's job and her past have come under scrutiny. She works at a bar known for scantily clad women and was a contestant on the MTV reality show "A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila," in which women and men compete for the affection of a bisexual Internet celebrity.

"People are saying it's 15 more minutes for my career," Guerrero said of the ballpark furor, "but this is not making me look very good."

In 2007, an Oregon transit agency chief apologized after a lesbian teenager was kicked off a bus when a passenger complained about her kissing another girl.

Also in 2007, a gay rights group protested a Kansas City, Missouri, restaurant they said ejected four women because two of them kissed, and a Texas state trooper was placed on probation in 2004 for telling two gay men who were kissing at the state Capitol that homosexual conduct was illegal in Texas.

"There's a double standard. That's the bottom line," said Pat Griffin, director of the It Takes a Team! Education Campaign, an initiative from the Women's Sports Foundation to eliminate homophobia in sports.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

A few thoughts:
They were eating garlic fries and kissing!? :eek: Now that's love.

I find baseball kinda boring to watch, so I am somewhat puzzled that it made these two feel amorous.

"We have a strict non-discrimination policy at the Seattle Mariners and at Safeco Field, and when we do enforce the code of conduct it is based on behavior, not on the identity of those involved," Hale said.

The code of conduct -- announced before each game -- specifically mentions public displays of affection that are "not appropriate in a public, family setting." Hale said those standards are based on what a "reasonable person" would find inappropriate.

While not a fan of hetero PDA, I do understand getting carried away by the moment or passion. However, it does seem she may have violated the stadiums' code of conduct.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I see nothing wrong with it. I mean they werent eating eachother out or anything like that. Then again either straight or gay there is a proper way to conduct yourself in a public place.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But last week, a lesbian complained that an usher at Safeco Field asked her to stop kissing her date because it was making another fan uncomfortable.

The usher told them he had received a complaint from a woman nearby who said that there were kids in the crowd of nearly 36,000 and that parents would have to explain why two women were kissing.

:eek:

Oh, heaven forbid! Won't someone please think of the children!

Cowardly assholes. At least have the balls to cop to just being offended in your own right without hiding behind the delicate sensibilities of the poor little snowflakes.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i heard the controversy over that too. there's absolutely nothing wrong with what they're doing. whenever i see lesbians kiss i'm always like, "awww!" uptight people just need to get with the times and accept that homosexuality is real.

BBTM

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Those kids are going to see it one day anyway. Why can't the parents just explain it when it happens and get it over with. Some people like the same sex...SIMPLE!!! Why are people so afraid of something they don't understand? Also people now a days just don't have empathy. Put yourself in their shoes for a day and see how you would react!

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
How in the world can anyone be offended by "brief kisses"?
This was not a display of passion as njqt might have assumed
and it most definitely didn''t violate the Mariners "code of conduct".
The only reason people are up in arms about it is because the women were identified as "homosexuals".
"We're here, we're queer get used to it morons"!
Aren't there more important issues to get upset over?
Like "when is my brother going to be killed in Afghanistan" {?}
since we've started a war.
Jaysus people get a life!
cigarbabe:sasmokin:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's nothing wrong with a couple of any sexual orientation engaged in a little PDA... Oh no, that means that the parents would have to actually take it upon themselves to get off their sorry, slacking asses assume the PARENT role... oh the humanity!!!! :cool:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How in the world can anyone be offended by "brief kisses"?
This was not a display of passion as njqt might have assumed
and it most definitely didn''t violate the Mariners "code of conduct".
The only reason people are up in arms about it is because the women were identified as "homosexuals".
"We're here, we're queer get used to it morons"!
Aren't there more important issues to get upset over?
Like "when is my brother going to be killed in Afghanistan" {?}
since we've started a war.
Jaysus people get a life!
cigarbabe:sasmokin:

Good point. No one even talks about the soldiers in Afgahanistan on the news or newspapar or anything.

Anyway , if the stadium ushers really wanna be assholes , the lesbian couple has more right to be there since they equal two ticket sales and the "offended person" only equals one. AKA get the fuck out,

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The usher, Guerrero said, told them he had received a complaint from a woman nearby who said that there were kids in the crowd of nearly 36,000 and that parents would have to explain why two women were kissing.
I wonder if that woman's tattoo artist balked when she asked for that "I am a complete moron" forehead tattoo.

Seriously, I've heard this argument from idiot bigots before.

It's pretty simple, actually. If the kid asks, "why are those two women kissing," you give him the same answer you did when he asked you "why are that man and woman kissing?"

"Because they love each other, honey."

If you absolutely have to throw in a bit of bigoted indoctrination, you could say "Because they are in love, even if we think their love is wrong."

Bloody fucking hell, the usher should have legally been able to kill that woman for even saying "make them stop, I'm too stupid to explain to my kids, on the off-chance they even ask about it."

Last edited:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
It's pretty simple, actually. If the kid asks, "why are those two women kissing," you give him the same answer you did when he asked you "why are that man and woman kissing?"

"Because they don't have enough class to not make out in front of everyone at a baseball game."

:biggrin1:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
More importantly, who won the game?

It's interesting that people who are uncomfortable with same-sex affection can't really come up with a good reason to support their bigotry. Other than religion, they always fall back on the but-what-about-the-children rational.

"I don't think it's right seeing women kissing in public. If I had my family there, I'd have to explain what's going on," is the sorriest excuse imaginable.

What are garlic fries?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I was watching MTV's A Shot at Love and I was shocked to see that Sabrina was one of the lesbians in question.

She claimed, on the show, that her and this girl were were just kissing--nothing else. She didn't seem like the kind of person who would grope anyone at a ball game, so I am inclined to believe her. She actually seemed to be very classy.

Am I the only one who watches this awful show?