A Legend Passes. Oscar Peterson 1925-2007

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by rawbone8, Dec 24, 2007.

1. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. naughty

Gold Member

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Yeah, Oscar was the bomb ... so musical, so much technique, sooooo much 'swing.'
    And he seemed to emerge, fully formed, from some other dimension.
    I played his piano once ... a Boesendorfer, which I figured would be wonderful ... after all, I'd just heard Oscar bringing a little heaven down to earth, through the keybed.
    Nope. That piano didn't want to dance or sing for me.
    Obviously, you had to be Oscar.
    There are a lot of good jazz pianists around, but Oscar, among the current thoroughbreds, was in his own class.

4. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Rest in Peace Oscar...A huge influence and thanks for the video clip Rawbone...brilliant.

5. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

An amazing musician!

6. sweatyblackballs

sweatyblackballs New Member

I remember being lambasted by friends of mine when I was younger for declaring Oscar Peterson when they asked who I loved musically. His hands were truly a Godsend. Blessed with such dexterity. I still try and imitate his technique and though he will indeed be sorely missed, his legacy remains in the hands of the multitudes who were not only influenced but stunned by his gifts. An amazing man. A legend.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Herbie Hancock & Oscar Peterson Piano Duel - BillieĀ“s Bounce

December 25, 2007

Jazz Great Oscar Peterson Dies at 82

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 1:09 a.m. ET
    TORONTO (AP) -- Oscar Peterson, whose speedy fingers, propulsive swing and melodic inventiveness made him one of the world's best known and influential jazz pianists, has died. He was 82.
    Peterson died at his home in the Toronto suburb of Mississauga on Sunday, said Oliver Jones, a family friend and jazz musician. He said Peterson's wife and daughter were with him during his final moments. The cause of death was kidney failure, said Mississauga's mayor, Hazel McCallion.

''He's been going downhill in the last few months,'' McCallion said, calling Peterson a ''very close friend.''

During an illustrious career spanning seven decades, Peterson played with some of the biggest names in jazz, including Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. He is also remembered for the trio he led with Ray Brown on bass and Herb Ellis on guitar in the 1950s.

Peterson's impressive collection of awards include all of Canada's highest honors, such as the Order of Canada, as well as seven Grammys and a Grammy for lifetime achievement in 1997.

''I've always thought of him as Canada's national treasure. All of Canada mourns for him and his family,'' said Jones.

''A jazz player is an instant composer,'' Peterson once said in a CBC interview. ''You have to think about it, it's an intellectual form.''

Obituary continued

8. Osiris

Gold Member

I grew up listening to him. My pops was a big fan and passed the love of Oscar on to me.

Where ever Oscar's spirit goes, you can count on there being beautiful music there.

Safe journey home Oscar.

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

God was having a good day when He made old Oscar. He can't be replaced.

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Music is art.

Art is a living embodiment of the soul and the spirit.

As such, Oscar Peterson will live on forever, as his recordings enrich our lives for years (and decades to come).

Unbelievable talent.

Undeniable legacy.

11. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recall a Canadian magazine's feature article had an anecdote on his amazing speed and urbane style.

In the early years when he was in a caberet setting with people crowded around the piano he was slick enough to dazzle with a improvised rapid run with his right hand, play a swinging bass line with his left and graciously light an astonished lady's cigarette between notes before her companion got to it.

12. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    There was a free concert held at Toronto's Roy Thompson Hall on Jan. 11th in tribute to Oscar Peterson. CBC Radio2 has posted all of the tracks of the concert here.

Oscar Peterson Tribute - Simply The Best

There were moving tributes and speeches from politicians, friends, family and musicians like Stevie Wonder and Quincy Jones.

Performers: Herbie Hancock, The Oscar Peterson Quartet, Hilary Cole, Gregory Charles, Audrey Morris, Monty Alexander, Nancy Wilson, Measha Brueggergosman and a choral finale featuring the amazing soprano Measha Brueggergosman.

13. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I absolutely adored Oscar Peterson.
    I listen to him all the time as a young adult before I really had an appreciation for jazz music,and the great piano players.
    I never thought about him dying,in my lifetime.
    I know it sounds strange,but I really thought he would always be here
    for me to listen to. In a way he will be thru his music.
    cigarbabe:saevil:

Draft saved Draft deleted