A Lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by speshk, Jul 23, 2007.

1. speshk

speshk New Member

What is it, this "Gay Lifestyle" we hear about? What defines it? Frequenting gay bars? A certain fashion sensibilty, a way of acting or talking? Being highly sexualizied or even promiscuous?

How might the Gay Lifestyle influence, as was suggested in another thread, the decision of a bisexual male to go exclusively one way or another?

2. agnslz

Gold Member

I've always considered the term to be a slight towards gay people by religious conservatives and other gay-bashers. Meaning that it is something you acquire and act out. Like as if you can learn to be gay. I've never used the term lifestyle to describe being gay and I've never heard it used by any other gay people I know. I much prefer "living the life" as in the show In the Life on PBS. There they mean that you are living your life as you truly are, you're not acting or choosing to live a different way, but leading the life that comes naturally to you.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is no "gay lifestyle". Agnslz is correct in calling the expression a slight, it suggests a choice.

I have never really felt any shame about being gay (and I came out in 1977), but at the same time I always resented any suggestion of it's being a choice or preference that I make (like not eating liver or living near the ocean).

It's an orientation, plain and simple. Anyone who suggests that it can be changed would be well advised to try doing themselves first and letting me know how it turns out.

However, there is a gay sensibility: urban living, discerning tastes, a wicked sense of humor, that sort of thing. It's pretty difficult to live in a predominantly gay environment and not at least be exposed to it.

4. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Gay Lifestyle suggests stereotypes... like shopping, the voice, hand thing, and whatever else got grouped into that. It does not allow people to be individual.

5. snoozan

Gold Member

i was listening to the radio today about how legalizing gay marriage is condoning some non-traditional, wild lifestyle.

what is ironic to me is that gay people, by getting married, are trying to fit into a traditional lifestyle.

these anti-gay folk should be ecstatic that gay people are wanting to have the monogamous, married, 2.5 kids and a dog lifestyle they exalt.

6. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

7. Matthew

Gold Member

Agree with all of the above. I like to wear sweat pants, listen to hip hop and watch sports, so I guess that's the gay lifestyle.

8. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately many believe gay people are undeserving of the fruits of the traditional lifestyle.

9. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I always laughed over that 2.5 kids part. I know what it means but I picture that .5 of a kid. :biggrin1:

But yeah, it is strange...I mean, gay people who want to get married want that for the same reasons straight people want to get married.

For many years I did not go to church because of the sexism and repression of the fundamentalist churches I went to growing up. When I did decide to go back to church, I went to a Unitarian Universalist church. The minister at the church I used to go to back in Indiana, the first wedding he performed there was one of two men, one of whom I met there, although I didn't talk to him a lot (mostly because it was a fairly large congregation and I didn't really have the opportunity.) It may not be legally recognized, but it is recognized by the church.

UU churches are really good about acceptance of gay members, and are advocates of legalizing gay marriage. A few other churches are good about this too, but I'm not as familiar with them.

10. Matthew

Gold Member

She said fruits ... heh heh ...

[/beavis]

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Is this the new Sraight 8? The new Mega Man. He who crushes beer cans with his teeth while wearing a Pink Pussy Cat Dress watching reruns of My mother The car and farting show tunes for old Russian women with buck teeth and Cradle Cap. Yes the questions the modern Polish man ponders and wonders if his wife has her period and why he is only wearing one sock..............................Life style? We all have a Lifestyle. When all is said and done. A man is just a man and nothing more:smile:

12. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yup. And I like to listen to rock, pay my bills, do yardwork, paint and renovate my home, take care of my kids and go to the beach.

So I guess that is the gay lifestyle, too.

Agreement with passion here. The word lifestyle is used to promote the idea that we can change who and what we are. It's a slap in the face.

I think I love you. That was a succinct way of putting it.

How dare we fags and dykes want to settle down? I mean, SO many hetero guys are RUNNING to get married so they can stop going to sports bars hoping to pick up a hot woman and fuck her.

How is that any different than what some single gay men choose to do. Hint: It's NOT.

We all want the same things: equal treatment and protection under the law.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Ok how gay is this? I get up walk my dog, have coffe go to work. Come home walk my dog, cook dinner listen to music and go to bed (typical day)
    I don't hang out in gay bars... I have gay friends, and straight friends, I like go invite them all for dinner or brunch sometimes! I likke to go to the museums and theatre in NYC. I love rollerblading in Central Park. Three days a week I go to they gym! Sometimes I meet friends for drinks and dinner after work! Some days are a litte more x-rated that the norm... but for me it's Life...not a Gay lifestyle!

14. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    :chairfall:

15. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes that was my point in making a joke of the OP's question. To say all gay men are this or that is simply foolish. Yes NY you are right its not a Lifestyle at all. Its just life. Isnt it?:smile:

16. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Imagine that it's 2020 and doctors can tell a woman that the fetus inside her is gay. Imagine her aborting it for that very reason. To some extent I'm glad that so many straight people think that homosexuality is a choice and not genetic. I think it will ultimately be the salvation of homosexuals.

Now picture the year 2040 and doctors can genetically change a baby's sexuality in vitro (correct their errant "gay gene"). Hmmm.

17. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love you dearly, nudeyorker, but our California Governator signed an ordinance proclaiming that no one could rollerblade unless they subscribed to a traditional "gay lifestyle"... :biggrin1:

That said, I'm going to turn off my computer and return to my "female lifestyle"...:wink:

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Ohhhhhhhh...those republicans...I'm bringing my blades out with me I'll guess I'll have to get some short split shorts and a bippy top...look for me around the UCLA campus next week!

19. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll be there! Look for the redhead in kneepads!!

20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Ok... look for a handsome middle aged blonde trying to look gay!

Draft saved Draft deleted