A little concerned...

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_15minutesold, Jun 16, 2011.

1. B_15minutesold

B_15minutesold New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    A few months back, I noticed what looked like an ingrown hair on the base of my penis. But it didn't go away. Then another one popped up. i could pinch it with my fingers, and there was very little pain. So one day I decided if I could take a pair a tweezers and (gently) yank them out. I did, and after a tad bit of blood, they were gone. Again, not a whole lot of pain.

Fast forward a few months. Another one has appeared, although not as big. In addition, just yesterday I notice VERY small raised white dots at the base of my penis head. Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Mar 19, 2007
    I don't think you have anything to worry about - I think you may have 'pearly penile papules' (Hirsuties coronae glandis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

The ingrown hairs are probably just that and the papules (if that is what they are) unrelated.

However, there is never any harm going along to your doctor and getting a first hand medical opinion on the situation. If nothing else it will put your mind at ease.
  3. Silvertip

Verified Gold Member

Aug 22, 2007
    A few years ago I encountered the problem with ingrown hairs on my penile shaft three times over a period of several months. The first two times the resulting cyst was in plain view and immediately obvious. So out in the bright sun, wearing strong reading glasses I was able to locate the hair and with a small, slightly dulled needle was able to fish it out of the cyst. Within a week the bump was gone. But the third time it happened the ingrown hair was on the underside, near the base of my shaft, and I didn't notice it until it had grown to a size that was obvious to the touch. I had a devil of a time finding that hair and fishing it out, but never experienced the bleeding that you mentioned. The attached two photos were taken two and three weeks later, to show how big the damned cyst had gotten. It took over a month for it to go away completely.

So at my next annual physical I mentioned it to my doctor and said if she (my doctor) could tell me that shaving my genitals was a bad idea I was sure my lady friend (who had a strong preference for shaved genitals) would understand and accept me in a natural, hirsute state. But instead she suggested that I could try one or both of a couple of topical treatments. First she said I could try applying a 1% hydrocortisone cream immediately after shaving as it has an astringent effect and will cause the pores to shrink, making penetration of an emerging hair less likely. The other thing she recommended was to apply Aveeno Positively Smooth cream on a regular basis. Apparently it had an additive that slows hair growth and, over time, causes the hairs to become finer. I eventually quit using the hydrocortisone cream and just stuck with the Aveeno and never had another problem.

But then the Aveeno product disappeared from the market altogether (it had always been a little difficult to find in the stores.) However, my lady friend introduced me to the Seiko Cleancut electric shaver

ES412 Cleancut Personal Shaver Info

... and I've been using it on my dick ever since without any ingrown hair problems. I still use a regular razor on my balls, as the wrinkled skin of my scrotum tends to get nicked by the Seiko but the little electric job does just fine on the smooth skin of my shaft.

Attached Files:

4. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    I really cn't add anything...dang it! bteween Manly and Silver, i'd say everything was said.

So go to the docs just to calm your mind, but I have a feeling the raised dots are pearly penile papules ( I have them, though more flesh colored and juuuusst raised. Pretty heard to see, esp erect) which are a common genetic varience. I noticed mine 2 years back (they wren't there before) and went to the doc who confirmed that that was indeed whate they were.

I have had ingrown hairs bleed before when I have pulled them. Not on my dick but elsewhere. Silvertip has good advice if you want to keep shaving.
Draft saved Draft deleted