A little help if you please

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by 9inchcanadian, Apr 9, 2008.

1. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    So heres the thing. In the last few months through shear laziness and over inguldgence i have gained a few pounds. This is quite a new thing for me as i have always, without much effort managed to maintain a fairly decent physique. I gues hitting 30 my body needs a bit more attention and a bit less shit pouring onto it.

I am not here looking for sympathy as i really dont deserve or require it. I know that there are plenty of people with larger bodies and thats all good.

I`m just looking for some help with ways to keep myself looking in reasonable shape as i get older. I walk my dog a couple of miles a day and have a pretty hectic routine. I dont want to go to a gym, i never have and the whole gym culture is unapealing to me. My diet is good although i could cut out a few sweet treats. My biggest downfall is alcohol and more specifically Beer.

So what is the best way to drop a few pounds? i have been cutting back on the snacks and booze over the past 2 weeks but nothing has changed.

Any other members with some helpful hints?

Sorry if this post sounds whiney and self absorbed, its not meant that way.

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    You don't sound whiney or self absorbed.

Easiest change, consume water like it was going out of style.

It'll help flush impurities from your system as well as make you feel full so you won't feel as much a desire to nibble between meals or eat as large a meal as you normally would.

Spice it up. Spices that make you sweat are actually burning a few calories as they do so. Not many, but any little bit helps.

Always eat breakfast, this jump starts your system each morning and keeps the metabolism chugging evenly. If you skip breakfast your body is in "starve" mode half the day which tells the body to store calories.

Switch to carb free beer. (and have a glass of water between each)

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

This guy, Paul McKenna, knows what he's talking about, 9inch.
    He suggests a change in your way of eating so that you eat more mindfully. It's not about dieting in the usual sense at all. It's about breaking all the emotional tie-ins we have with wolfing down food in quantities greater than what our body really needs.
    He has a book out entitled I Can Make You Thin. Haven't read it, but I'm getting it.
    He also has a program by the same title on The Learning Channel that runs Sunday nights at 9PM, I believe.
    Someone told me about the principles he uses and I've used them with some success.
    To explain them would take 15 minutes, time I just don't have now, 9inch.
    But you should google him and follow some of the links that come up.
    Good luck.

4. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Cheers guys, The water tip is a good one i should drink more of that. On the plus side i cant stand hot drinks and have never tasted coffee!
    I love spicy food and almost every meal i eat is spiced in some way. Good to know that's making a diff!

I know of Paul Mckenna and used to watch hios Hypno show on telly in the UK. I will check out the link

Appreciate the help

5. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Hi Canadian! All the posters are spot on.

Have you ever heard of the ''Glycemic Index Chart''? Here's the link.

Glycemic Index Chart -Discover low glycemic index food list
    Glycemic Index Chart- List of glycemic foods to lose weight and boost energy levls.

According to this theory, eating too many foods with high glycemic indexes-- high blood sugar conversions-- (e.g. baguettes, mashed potatoes) causes the pancreas to secrete too much insulin, which in turn makes you hypoglycemic (low blood sugar levels) and lethargic. Insulin is also a storage hormone (the excess sugar is stored as fat).

You still have to increase your basal metabolic rate (metabolism at rest), which can only be done through physical activity. Body-building is excellent for strengthening bones and muscles. Do a bit of body-building and do some other activities you like.

All the best to you. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.

6. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Forget exercise and all of that... its great for toning and strength and looking hot...
    But weight gain is caused by one thing and one thing only..

You are eating more calories than you need.

Folks tout exercise... to burn more calories, and that's good... but if you get an injury, and can't get exercise for a month or two... whooomp... that higher food intake will add on...

Here's the depressing part... no matter what you do.... as you age, fewer and fewer cells are running at full capacity.
    This means that, as you age, your body needs fewer and fewer calories to meet the energy demands of your cellular function.

So... the real key to staying trim your whole life is to realize that you will have to REDUCE your food intake, just a little bit... every year after age 30.

Fred Astair stayed trim and nimble right up to his 80s... by age 80 all he ate was a bowl of thin soup each day.

You can try all the other stuff you want... diets only work when they manage to trick you into eating fewer calories.

If you can dedicate yourself to cutting out one little type of food each year...

You will do great...

but its hard, food is goooood.

and its everywhere...

good luck.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I found that spacing the food intake more evenly throughout the day really helps. I eat a good breakfast, try to consume carbs at breakfast and lunch and go low carb for the last meal of the day. Even if you can't do the above, not eating anything after 8pm will make a big change for you. Beer in the evening would really have a negative effect I think.

Titan's glycemic index is really good advice.

I find moderate exercise easier to do than limiting my caloric intake. Besides, it has so many other befits other than fat loss. Getting your heart rate up four or five times a week for 30 minutes is really great and the risk of injury can be minimized if you chose correctly. I don't think you could hurt yourself much swimming or riding a stationary bike! I mix up the activities so I don't get bored.

Good luck 9 inchcanuck!

8. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    here's a few tips

A) i too hate the gym scene so i got a few hand-weights, find a good exercise video and those handweights can keep you in pretty good shape

B) hate to say it but that beer is going to show. the only people i know who drink beer and don't put on weight is people with fast metabolisms. otherwise, 90% of the people i went to high-school with who drink beer now are slowly blowing up, not saying that to be funny but i've got some friends who've gone from 140 lbs to almost 200 and the most common denominator is beer

C)i dunno ur eating habits but some people say eating slower can help you lose weight. the reason being, somehow your stomach takes awhile to start telling your brain that you're full. so your stomach may be full but you won't feel the affects, so if you eat slower it'll give your stomach time to send the message that it's full

hope this helps, good luck

9. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Guys these are all really helpful tips. Today i started Cutting out my Diet cokes in favor of water. 4 pints today. I cut down my calorie intake and cut out refined sugars as much as humanly possible.
    I will take on board all your suggestions too.

I gotta say that beer is going to be my toughest struggle. Thankfully i'm pretty partial to vodka and gin so at least i can substitute when i'm out and about.

I promise to put up a new pic when im done. Sorry about not putting a before but i really dont have the balls to put it up next to my other pics!

10. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    9inch, if you feel like having a beer, have one. It is all right to indulge once in a while; it becomes a problem when it's 2, 3, 4 times a day.

11. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    this may not apply to u cuz its kinda specific but maybe it will. everybody knows you need food on your stomach before consuming alchohol or you'll may get sick, so some people eat right before they drink. first of all the food has to be in your stomach by the time you start drinking so this is ineffective, second, you may be able to cut down the amount of meals you eat a day if, instead of adding a meal right before you drink, plan out your meal so that you're drinking after one of the meals u were already going to eat. did i say that rite?? lemme try this, someone who eats 3 times a day and is going to get drunk may add a 4th meal to their day to help battle the achohol, instead just plan to drink after one of the 3 meals u were already going to eat instead of adding another one. i think that explains is better. whew

12. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Hi Marley

Appreciate teh advice but my situaition isn't really about the booze. i

13. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the info Marley. My situation isn't really about the booze though. Infact I have a very high tolerance for booze and havn't been sick through alcohol for about 7 years( which was after a long night of typical indulgance followed by a pint of Smirnoff ice,rum,vodka,gin,whisky and some other shit a bar owner friend of mine dared me to drink)

Anyway, i am now curbing my alcohol intake full stop. As a heavy drinker i think its about time. I wil still have a drink with friends and such but nowhere near my normal intake.

The "diet" continues.

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:

good luck, y dont u keep us posted??

15. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Oh don't worry, you will all here of my struggles! LOL

I shall put up a weeklyish update with occasional responses to comments. I may even start a new thread. Ooooooh how special am I?!

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Good, good.
    And 9inch, would it be too much to ask how much you hope to lose?

17. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    In fairness im not looking for an actual amount to lose. For me its more about getting to a stage where i feel better about how i look. and besides i dont own a set of bathroom scales! Haha

18. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Righto, update time

It's been about a week since i last posted. I have without a doubt decreased my body fat. As i stated in my last post i do not own a set of scales so i cannot be sure how much i have lost. I would estimate around 3Lbs? anyway. I am nearing where i was pre-winter. Clothes fit better and i no longer have a noticable paunch in certain clothes.

This is not the end as i still have a few more to lose to get to the shape i was in in my pics. I have managed not to get roaring drunk or binge on sweet treats. I am now walking approx 14-15Km per day. My dog thinks i am mental. I have also started a little aerobic exercise at home. I think this is helping too.

All in all it is going well. I would of course like to eat more desserts and drink more beer but by the time my 31st rolls around( May 26th) I should be where i want to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted