A Little Tough Love from Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And now, a real political issue that has more depth than the Birther Debate...

Bill Clinton on DADT & DOMA... and I'm sure it's going to rustle a few feathers on this board, but I think he has a very valid point. One of which can also be applied towards our current administration with some of today's issues.

YouTube - Clinton Interrupted at Netroots Nation; answers on DADT & DOMA

To paraphrase: "It's not like the 1990s... you want to talk about DADT? I'll tell you exactly what happened. You couldn't deliver me any support in the Congress, and they voted by a veto proof majority in both houses against my attempt to let gays serve in the Military. And the media supported them... and all most of you did was to attack me instead of getting me some support in the Congress."

#1 B_VinylBoy, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Thanks for the link, Indy... :wink:

4. sargon20

Gold Member

Always impressive to hear him talk.

5. houtx48

Gold Member

size, it's always good when you take time away from worrying about simon's shoe color to provide a good link. Nice job of staying focused on the subject.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

Industrialsize: Yes, good post and good news. Now THAT'S positive. Thanks for the link.

7. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

Now I don't get this and call me foolish or whatever...
    Why is he pointing the finger at someone else? We have a veto proof Congress right now and can't get a bill passed. If it were something he really believed in he would have gotten it passed.
    I understand wanting fair and equal treatment, but I don't get the big push for gays in the military, they are there.
    To me a big portion of people wanting this, would not join the military and don't want a military anyway and push for rules making it harder and harder for them to do their jobs.

Cheers

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Even with a veto proof Congress, people are free to make their own decisions on whatever bill they're voting on. Not everyone in Congress votes directly down party lines even if the majority does just that. That's why we, as citizens, need to be more vocal and proactive about these issues and make sure that we give a sound message to these "indecisive" Congressmen. They may not listen to just one or a few hundred people. But if millions got together and made a big scene, I'm sure they would pay attention.

We get complacent in thinking that when one party gains "control" that all of their ideologies will pass with no opposition. DADT during the Clinton Administration, as well as the current Health Care debate, should be a clue to all of us that it isn't that simple.

9. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

That is true. Which goes back to the you, you, you; President Clinton spouting instead of answering the question in my opinion. DADT to me is a cop out and a bad bill. Ban gays or let them in. Pick one. DADT in my opinion is insulting to both sides of the issue. It showed he had no balls to pick a side, it was all just a I want to make a show of doing something and not piss anyone off.

Cheers

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

DADT was a compromise. Because there wasn't enough opposition to deal with the people in congress that didn't want to reverse the ban, Clinton couldn't just do it alone. As much as you want to say that Clinton didn't have the balls, many people in the gay community (as much as it pains me to say it) didn't have them as well in '92.

Like I said... it's tough love. I wasn't happy with DADT. At the same time, I know that it takes more than just one person to deal with centuries of sexual discrimination & homophobia.

11. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

True, I see what you are saying.
    Now I am asking this and would like an answer not giving me a hard time.
    I know about discrimination and equal treatment, but why this issue. If the ban were changed, would you join? Has it stopped people who want to join from joining?
    I have asked my gay friends the majority of them say they don't care because the military was not for them.
    I just don't understand I guess.

Cheers

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

To be brutally honest, I did consider the Military as an option when I graduated from High School. A few of my friends were also in ROTC and they spoke highly of the program. And yes, I could have decided to conceal or hide my true self in order to go through the program and reap its benefits. Gay, Lesbian & transgender people have been doing this all their lives to some level. But after a while it gets sickening to pretend to be something you're not just because of another person's intolerance.

Looking back at my youth and some of the decisions I made, I'm glad that I made the choice not to go into the Military. Mentally, I knew that I would have a hard time accepting what someone tells me at face value no matter what. And I would have been miserable pretending to be straight, living in a closed world where I would be the inadvertent victim to such a high level of homophobia. It's just as bad as being the only minority in a school system that was predominately caucasion and hearing students (and some teachers) talk about how those "ghetto people" are bad for our society.

13. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

I can see that and thank you for your honesty.
    I had been in the Navy for almost 20 years. I have served with many people who, you knew were gay. Now mind you it isn't like walking down Bourbon St during Decadence, but they are there and you know who they are.
    In my experience it is not this whole "Oh my god! what do you mean there are gays" serving with us. Yes you can't be out in your man sized high heals, but it wasn't any worse than anywhere else.
    Maybe I am just more tolerant or closed minded.
    If the ban is reversed will it solve anything and make things better, or will it just be a platform to say, look what we did?

Cheers

14. dreamer20

Gold Member

But will the Party of "No" scuttle the DADT Repeal's ship?
    The GOP has vowed to vote "No" to repealing DADT when this measure is voted on this Thursday:

Brown to vote 'no' on repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell pending Pentagon study - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

15. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Let the Republicans keep pandering to their shrinking base, and lose even more of the political center... They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Poll: Nearly 8 in 10 favor gays in the military

CNN.com
    Posted: May 25th, 2010 10:19 AM ET

click here for article and full poll results

16. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Wish Bill Clinton was still in office, times where wonderful back then with 4.5 unemployment,

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Holy thread bump, Batman!! :eek:
    Lemme guess... lost your job recently?

18. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

I still have the same job that I got when Bill Clinton was in office :smile:

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

So I guess your bumping of this thread, followed by your statement which can easily be surmised as being spiteful and tripe considering that you're still employed, is nothing more than just another shallow attempt to criticize the current administration as well as antagonize those that voted for Obama.

Next time, use someone else's threads to do this or start your own. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted