A long holiday break for Chrysler

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Dec 18, 2008.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

This doesn't seem to be a good sign....

Chrysler said it will idle all manufacturing operations at the end of the day Friday for at least a month in an effort to align production and inventory with U.S. market demand. ~WSJ wire~

uh....align inventory with demand...?

Isn't that like Roseanne Barr idling outside the kitchen until her weight 'aligns' with her height?

2. Principessa

Gold Member

I think they want to sell off current inventory before building more vehicles and increasing stock.
    Chrysler to Halt Car Production at Plants; Charge Dealers Fees - WSJ.com

3. AG08

Gold Member

It's bad for the workers who manufacture them, but it is probably needed as there are too many unsold cars sitting on lots nowadays. A plant can't keep pumping out cars if very few people are buying them.

I remember that GM and Chrysler were talking about a merger awhile back before the shit hit the fan in the auto industry. I wonder if the government in the U.S. will look at a forced merger in order for the auto companies to get the federal financial assistance they want. I remember that the South Korean government put a lot of pressure on Hyundai to take over Kia when Kia was struggling. Hyundai turned Kia around and made it profitable again. Daewoo automotive collapsed because the South Korean gov't didn't want to pump any money in it to keep it afloat. Maybe something like this is needed in North America? Can North America support 3 car manufacturers anymore? I remember when there used to be 4 auto manufacturers in North America when American Motors was operating until Chrysler bought them out to acquire the Jeep brand (back in the days when Chrysler was profitable - the K car era). I don't hold out much hope for Chrysler operating independently in the future. Even Daimler couldn't turn them around. The Germans are well known for efficiency and business savvy. If they couldn't turn it around, I have to wonder if anyone can? It will be interesting to see what happens.

#3 AG08, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted