A Message to the "Honorable" Joe Wilson

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The member for North Sydney will resume his seat...

It's as if I had him on repeat on my sampler.
Maybe I should put some beats behind this. LOL!!

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't have any problem with heckling the president on principle. I wish political discourse were a lot *more* combative.

I don't.

I've attended 'Question Time' in the parliament buidings in Canberra, Sydney, and Melbourne. I was expecting some sharp debate and witty dialogue each time.

I did see a bit of that. But what I mainly saw was a lot of drivel and posturing and catcalling. Mostly an unproductive waste of time.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
What I find hard to believe is that anyone (in his right mind) could believe that the healthcare reform bill would be designed to include illegal immigrants.

Why the fuck would that be in the plan?? Hell, they can't even VOTE. Get a fuckin' grip, Joe...

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tellinjg the truth is is not always politically correct or profitable. it's refreshing to see someone who has theballs to call him out on it.

I'd really have little issue with calling the President a liar in an interview or a speech or something, but the manner in which Mr. Wilson did it was simply disrespectful. Calling anyone a liar to their face is generally considered to be in bad taste, and calling the POTUS a liar in such a public arena simply worsens it. While of course Mr. Wilson is legally allowed to shout such things, one would hope that one's common decency would prevent such outbursts.

I find it a bit fitting that his opponent has gotten the sudden influx of donations. Hopefully that'll teach him to be respectful in public fora, to people's faces. At the same time, I don't agree with some of the harsher responses from the left. I was watching Keith Olbermann last night, and he made a comment along the lines of "Why hasn't he resigned yet?" (After hearing that, I knew Olbermann would be on his moral high horse, so I changed the channel, predicting preachiness, sanctimoniousness, and an all-around holier-than-thou rant.) I hardly think this is an issue that should force resignation. Maybe a nice, public tongue-lashing from leaders in his party (or perhaps both) and good, old-fashioned, embarrassing public apology (his was pretty half-assed), but not resignation.

Hopefully the voters will see him a disrespectful ass and vote him out, but seeing as he's a Republican from South Carolina, I kinda doubt that'll happen.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What I find hard to believe is that anyone (in his right mind) could believe that the healthcare reform bill would be designed to include illegal immigrants.

Who would believe it? Plenty, it seems. It makes such a great talking point to be repeated ad nasuem whether its true or not.

I think it was Goebbels who quipped: Why tell a little lie when you can tell a big one?

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeah, I guess I thought that part was obvious...and I see they've updated with a link to the donations page for Rob Miller (Joe's opponent). The contribution tally is $430k+ currently. Almost half a mil in less than 24 hours. Way to go, Joe!
Joe is making a lot of money, as well.

I know I donated $10 to Joe Wilson's re-election campaign.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not a good idea. If the American congress adopted parliamentary rules it would devolve into something like Hannity and Combs or Point-Counterpoint. Or Taiwan's legislature, where fist fights or commonplace. The rules are there for good reason IMO.

But I've always liked Question period too. Canadians have been well entertained over the years by it. Remember Trudeau and the fuddle duddle incident? (he called another member a 'mother fucker' on the floor of the house and later claimed he said 'oh fuddle duddle')

But the US has always put the Prez on a higher pedestal than other counties. He is the Head of State, whereas a PM is not. So it would be more like a Member of Parliament heckling the Queen.

Actually, Parliamentary procedure enforces rather strict rules of debate on members. Most debates are very sedate. Members are sanctioned ("named") and sometimes expelled by the Speaker for unparliamentary behavior. Most are very careful not to cross the line. There is a lot of heckling, but if a politician can't handle this, he has no business running for office.

What Trudeau said was "Oh, fuck you" to the Leader of the Opposition.

The President, who although the head of state is also a partisan politician, and therefore is (or should be) subject to political opposition. The Queen (or Governor General, as the case may be), who as the head of state does not participate in politics, is not.

Last edited:

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I say Thank-you Mr. Wilson for having the BALLS to say what so many American's feel themselves. Kudos!!!

Interesting --- wonder what would have happened if all the Democrats in Congress would have risen and with one voice shouted "liar" when GW actually DID lie to the country about taking us to war over trumped up intelligence and squelched reporting! To quote GW -- "America does not torture!" Guess it depends on who has the balls to speak truth to power (and in what FORUM) that is deemed appropriate. If it becomes an "anything goes" environment.........I think eventually they'll just do away with Presidential speeches to Congress!!