A microcosm of society/responsibility

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_starinvestor, Jun 9, 2011.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

If 10 normal, able-bodied people shipwrecked in a desolate, uninhabited area - and formed their own 'clan' in which they bonded together to survive; how do you suppose it would go?

Each member of the clan would likely have some unique skill or responsibility which could contribute to the greater good/survival of the 10.

For example, 2 might be hunters, 2 might be cooks, 1 might sew/mend clothing, 1 might be a medical/nurse, 1 might fish, 1 might build fires, etc.

But what would happen if 2 of the 10 just slept and told jokes all day while the others were out working/hunting/fishing?

How long do you think they would last/survive in the clan? And do you think the rest of the clan would allow them to reproduce and not offer anything to the rest of the clan for generations, but continue to eat that which the hunters kill and sleep under the shelter that is built by others in the clan?

This is not rhetorical; I would like to know if people on this board would support that 20% of the clan that chooses to do nothing in the survival scenario such as I've described above.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Is this really a political discussion?

3. LittleButt

LittleButt Member

Nah. This is "Bash the welfare Queen minorities time". Don't mention a race or you might be banned but apparently it's gonna be OK to beat around the proverbial bush. Unless she means Congress in which case her numbers are high.

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Well we know that already... :biggrin:
    However, as the OP is worded it doesn't seem like a question geared for the Politics section.

5. cdunstan1

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny!

6. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would like a clarification. The two that just sleep and tell jokes, are they incumbered in any way? Like, perhaps they are paralyzed, and make their contribution by adding humor to an otherwise tense situation?

7. LittleButt

LittleButt Member

True. Wanna know what bothers me? I work all my life and pay into Unemployment INSURANCE. Now, the first time I need it I am called a loser and people whine about welfare and such. The way I see it if I pay into it shouldn't I be allowed to use it if necessary? Isn't tha why it's called insurance? It's kind of like Allstate making you feel like crap when you ask them to fix your car.

On another side note: 18% of my state is on Food Stamps and in my county 56% of the population is below the poverty level. Hell, a community 100 yards from where I work doesn't have running water OR electricty. Damn welfare Queens living the high life while I am stuck with toilets that flush.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Exactly! So many opponents of things like UI or any other form of government assistance have a solid belief that anyone who needs this stuff are weak. They're so certain that their so-called "superior work and social skills" will prevent them from ever having to rely on such things at any point of their lives. Therefore, since they are what they consider "successful" all anyone needs to do is follow their lead and listen to every word they say... and then they'll be just as "successful" as well.

That's also the reason why so many of them hate the idea that an insignificantly small portion of their tax dollars and paychecks go to such programs to help the less fortunate. What's funny is that most of these people cannot honestly forecast with any certainty how much of their tax dollars actually go to these programs. They just know it isn't zero and that frustrates them. I sometimes wish there was a way to adjust tax codes so that people can decide not to pay into these systems on a year to year basis, with the full knowledge that if they found themselves jobless or disabled there would be absolutely nothing there for them for every year they decided to not contribute. So if and when they lose their job, they can't get UI even if they're eligible for it. When it's time to retire, go find a private entity to take care of your health insurance and pay full premium prices at their disclosure. Can't buy food? You better start begging or start operating a farm since you don't get food stamps. And so forth and so forth.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wanna be the fisherman.

Those other two sound like non-productive investment banker types, so yeah; throw them off the island.

Unless they are hot. Eye candy is essential for my survival.

10. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It is not; it should be moved to the Etc., Etc. Forum.

11. B_starinvestor

I believe it does belong in Poli.

It is a snapshot of our society and the entitlement system.

Note that in the OP all 10 ppl are able-bodied.

Note also that if the hunters suffered an injury and were unable to hunt for 2 months (i.e. unemployment or disability) I believe any clan would continue to feed them because they know that once healthy again, they will be productive.

12. B_starinvestor

But if they were hot and didn't put out; it would be part of your demise.:eek:

13. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It's your snapshot of what you call "the entitlement system", which is not necessarily reality.

14. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Is it anything like this.... starinvestor's Island
    Sorry I could not resist. I'll be the millionaire and give vouchers!

15. MickeyLee

Gold Member

hmmmm microcosm conservatives would grudgingly allow the two shiftless layabouts just enough food/medical/shelter to survive, barely survive.

then when anything went wrong on the island the "charity caste" would be around to take the blame.

not enough water? two liters a day are wasted on non-productive castaways.

not enough food? we should cut them down to one meal a day. the saved food should go to the most able castaways.

not enough medicine? poor nourishment makes non-productive castaways prone to illness. depriving meds that might be needed by the most productive castaways.

short on shelter? do the non-productive castaways really need a solid roof over their heads when palm fronds can be around all over the island?

then when everything goes lord of the flies non-productive castaways can be used as food.

16. B_starinvestor

And everyone contibuted on Gilligan's isle.....!:biggrin1:

17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Yes I believe each contributed the best that they could.
    Gilligan and the Skipper built huts and fires and worked relentlessly to get them all rescued.
    The Professor invented the island car and that crazy coconut telephone and managed to keep the batteries in the radio working the whole time they were shipwrecked.
    Ginger and Mary Ann cooked and cleaned. (They probably did sexual favors too if truth be told)
    Mr. & Mrs. Howell gave the other castaways money and real estate so that when they were rescued they would have a little cushion to start over.

Seriously I'm not making a mockery of your thread (well actually I am) but I don't think it's possible to draw the parallel with a few and society in general.

18. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

In a survival situation, people of limited skill sets typically don't thrive. All of the roles you've described in the initial scenario, I am capable of performing, and then some. I would do it all. Anything I overproduced, I would trade with others.

Specialization is for insects.

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You don't have to make a mockery of the original thread. It's preposterous enough to mock itself.

20. B_starinvestor

maybe not; but at what size does a clan turn into a society and do you start carrying people? 100? 1000? Just curious when the unmotivated and unhelpful (not referring to the ill or incapable) start being enabled?

Draft saved Draft deleted