A morality question: revenge

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_theaussieone, Feb 16, 2011.

1. B_theaussieone

B_theaussieone New Member

I've been lookin up famous peoples quotes on the topic and they all suggest not doing it. But i dont see why you shouldnt. I dont believe in Karma, so if im wronged i often feel like getting revenge. Anyone else feel the same?

2. b1gm3

b1gm3 Member

I believe in retributive justice.

3. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't believe in revenge OUTSIDE of a romantic relationship...

4. sizequeenNY

sizequeenNY New Member

Albums:
    The best revenge is success. If you have revenge on someone you are admitting they are stronger than you. Do you want to lose in the end because of your insecurities

5. tiggerpoo

Gold Member

Revenge proves that the other won.
    Forgiveness proves you're the master of your destiny.

Revenge begets revenge in a downward spiral of humanity.

6. EmJay

EmJay New Member

..This ..

Revenge is for insecure people...

7. uberhund

uberhund Member

I would agree with the last two posts. Obviously if someone wrongs you, you want an apology and recognition of the wrongdoing. But either you get it or you don't: either way I would let go of it there. To seek revenge shows the other person has a hold on you: that you still need something from them: I'd agree with EmJay that's it's a sign of insecurity to need those who have wronged you to suffer.

I have an example of this from my own life, if it's helpful. I had one of those lousy crappy childhoods (violence, permanent physical injury etc.), and through a lot of my adolescence I dreamed of revenge on my dad. But in my twenties I realised that that need was still giving him power over me: my happiness and well-being was dependant on my being able to hate him and take revenge on him. And I thought 'The bastard stole my childhood: am I going to let him take the pleasure out of the rest of my life as well, making me into a bitter and brooding adult?'. So, when the opportunity came, I decided to forgive him. I never told him, as he refuses to talk about the past in any way at all, but in my heart I forgave him. I didn't do it for him: I did it for me, so I wouldn't have to carry this hatred and anger around forever, or, even worse, act on it and end up in prison, which would really mean that he'd won, by destroying my entire life. I'm worth more than that.

8. B_theaussieone

so heres a good quote i found

Medea Euripedes : Let no one think of me that I am humble or weak or passive; let them understand I am of a different kind: dangerous to my enemies, loyal to my friends. To such a life glory belongs.

9. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    Revenge soothes the bitterness of betrayal.:wink:

(ok but that is clearly not "the right" thing to do)

#9 psidom, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  10. D_Edwin Eatser

D_Edwin Eatser New Member

Who was it said "the best revenge is to live happily?" I had a very happy time with my young mistress and my bitch of an ex never found out, then when my marriage ended I found a lovely sexy female, who is now my wife, and got into swinging. I'm sure my ex is still living her critical, resentful, bitter life - I hope!

11. Dougie6

Dougie6 New Member

Oh, I am SO in favor of revenge, as long as it is not entirely disproportionate to the injury being redressed (...hmmm, OK mebbe the revenge needs to be slightly upped, just to prove the point...)

12. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

I don't have a problem with revenge. Whatever happened to that expression, what comes around goes around. Still, though I wouldn't do anything that gets my hands dirty or takes up too many of my resources. But if an opportunity arose......

13. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOOK.... no issue is ever always YES or always NO.

Revenge is a tempting and sweet dish best served cold. Like Ice Cream. The thing is that revenge is a REACTION that is easy to set off another reaction, that is revenge of the one your getting revenge on.

Revenge is what drives me a lot, but I decided that being mean, doing mean things to my brother or parents or people around me in return would be pointless. I'm no way better than them if I act the same. I decided it's a lot better to just move out and have a revenge on them by simply living a happy life without them (still working on it).

As much as I don't cross out retributive justice entirely, but I advice to really think it over... if it's all really worth it or not.

14. dad4you

dad4you Member

I think revenge is corrosive to the spirit. Realizing that the offending person is losing out on your companionship, and giving that companionship to another more supportive person, is a much better way to go for you. When the person who wronged you sees you are moving on with your life and finding happiness, then YOU win without resorting to active revenge. I guess in that light you would be having a sort of passive revenge. LOL

15. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Let go and let God!

16. B_theaussieone

bu wt if god likes the other person more then you?

17. EmJay

EmJay New Member

If that would be the case ( and it is not) than you accept it.. You are not to decide who GOD loves..who anyones loves for that matter..you can only decide who you love..

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Even if you don't believe in Karma revenge has a funny way of coming back and biting you in the ass either legally or emotionally. Revenge also works in cycles and that person may want to play the game tit-for-tat with you perhaps. In the end you may both end of getting hurt either physically or emotionally.
    There are a number of revenge threads here in the LPSG archives and I say the same thing... if you really want to get back at the person live a happy fulfilled life without hate and it usually drives them crazy. Everyone thinks that the opposite of love is hate when in fact it's indifference.

There are a number of people in life that I dislike and it has taken some time to get to the point that I simply say about them... "I hope all of their kindness's will be returned to them a thousand times."

I know a number of unhappy people and I'm convinced that revenge and hatred have a direct connection to health and well being.

It's not always easy but let it go and move on and have a great life.

19. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

I wish I could take revenge on somebody right now, but as said, that would not be the best idea. I have a fresh start somewhere else anyway, I'll leave her to it.

What bloody annoys me is how, while assault and grievous bodily harm even in the form of a scratch can warrant lawful punishment, mental torture which ruins peoples lives and even causes suicides cannot be accountable!

I have wasted the last 3 years of my life, and come out with more issues than you can shake a stick at, yet if I was to take revenge I myself would appear the wrong-doing party!

20. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think to want to have revenge on someone who wronged you is only natural. Whether you follow up on it shows your true character.

What I don't believe in is forgiveness. To me, if you forgive someone, that means you think it's ok for what they did to you.

Accept it and move on but never forgive nor forget the harm/hurt done to you. They do it once, they'll do it again.

Sklar

Draft saved Draft deleted