A mosque at Ground Zero!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arkfarmbear, Jul 13, 2010.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

On the NBC News that is airing now, if anyone wants to verify my claim can trot over to NBC.com and read the whole story for yourself.
    The New York authorities have voted to allow a Muslim Mosque to be built at Ground Zero!
    There are serious, emotional reactions.
    One resident said it best. She said she is not opposed to a mosque, just not at Ground Zero.
    I agree.
    The completion of the building is years off. Fund raising efforts have not yet provided the construction/completion.
    There will also reportedly be groups raising funds to stop it. Count me in!

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If you can identify me in this crowd you win a prize. I was not aware that a final decision was made. Hopefully this will get tied up in as much red tape as rebuilding the World Trade Center.

Attached Files:

3. D_Relentless Original

Albums:

I should think so too.:mad:

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The only reason why people would object to this would be due to their animosity & fears towards people who follow Islam. I could careless if they wanted to build a mosque on the moon. I'm understanding enough to know the problem isn't with the religion but with the zealots within, and these people exist in ANY religion.

Keep in mind, Islamic people died on 9/11 as well and I'm not talking about the terrorists either. I say let 'em build it.

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't see the fucking problem, folks. Are you admitting to being bigots?

6. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

I don't have a problem with it...
    But I am one of those people that believe that Muslims didn't have anything to do with 9/11.

7. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    No Tom, maybe over sensitive to my own feelings and other peoples, but that my problem mate.

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have no fear or animosity toward anyone who follow Islam. As a matter of fact I have a very close Muslim friend who for the record is also opposed to a Mosque being built in the shadow of ground zero out of principle but also the simple fact that if it is built it is going to forever be fraught with problems of violence and ill will.

9. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

If it's a question of not letting any religious group have a meeting place there, I'm OK with that. But I agree that saying "no" because they're Muslim seems bigoted as the terrorists, albeit less violently.

10. dreamer20

Gold Member

I support the presence of a mosque at Ground Zero which would both remind that Muslims were among the victims claimed by the attacks and that Islamic societies condemned the 2001 attacks:

Scholars of Islam & the Tragedy of Sept. 11th

*CANADIAN MUSLIM SCHOLARS REJECT "MISGUIDED" CALLS FOR JIHAD : The Canadian office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR CAN) and the Canadian Muslim Civil Liberties Association (CMCLA) today denounced a series of recent statements made by Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network that state that Muslims should wage a "jihad" against Americans.

"Islam respects the sacredness of life, and rejects any express statement or tacit insinuation that Muslims should harm innocent people. Despite our disagreement with certain American policies, we must never abuse the concept of Jihad to target innocent civilians.
    Jihad, which literally means 'struggle,' has an internal, societal and combative dimension. The internal dimension of Jihad encompasses the struggle against the evil inclinations of the self, and the spiritual project to adorn the self with virtues such as justice, mercy, generosity and gentleness. The societal dimension includes struggling against social injustice and creating a communal identity based on charity, respect and equality. Finally, the combative aspect of jihad is only to be used as self-defense against aggression or to fight oppression, and, even then, to be observed with strict limits of conduct that preserves the life of innocents and the sanctity of the environment.
    Moreover, this latter type of Jihad can only be declared by a legitimate, recognized religious authority. Using the concept of Jihad to justify harming the innocent is contrary to the letter and spirit of Islam.We condemn any violence that springs from this misguided interpretation."

*Ingrid Mattson, a professor of Islamic studies and Muslim-Christian relations at Hartford Seminary in Hartford, said there was no basis in Islamic law or sacred text for Mr. bin Laden's remarks. "The basic theological distortion is that any means are permitted to achieve the end of protesting against perceived oppression," said Dr. Mattson, a practicing Muslim."Islamic law is very clear: terrorism is not permitted," she added. "Even in a legitimate war — even if Osama bin Laden were a legitimate head of state, which he's not — you're not permitted to indiscriminately kill civilians, just to create terror in the general population." ("Experts Say Bin Laden is Distorting Islamic Law", NY Times, Oct. 8, 2001)

11. D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart

D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart Account Disabled

It's called freedom of religion, as guaranteed by the Constitution. Muslims didn't cause 9/11; terrorists did. And all religions have terrorists.

12. D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart

D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart Account Disabled

the tall cute guy, fifth from the right behind barrier?? what do i win?

13. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

That "let's just avoid potential trouble" is a legit viewpoint I hadn't thought of ... public safety, etc.

14. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Terrorists blow up the WTC, and now people don't want a mosque built on the site.

What am I missing here?

15. D_N Flay Table

Do you buy the official story of 9/11?

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I always love the people who don't live in NY or were here that day that keep saying this. Would you like to explain to me what happened?

17. D_N Flay Table

Sure. I will pm u.

18. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

What a great way to create some mist.

When doubt has grown over the last few years quite a lot, what better way to hide truth than behind the whole 'islamic terrorists did it' argument. Those opposed would argue, rightly so, that it is a bad idea and goes against the principle. To build a symbol of the religion which cultivated the extremism is insensitive etc etc.

People then start to discuss whether it is right or wrong and that its not fair to punish all muslims. All this stirring up of old sentiments is just a cover imo.

I buy the official story like we buy air.

19. Victoria

Victoria New Member

I'm not american.. so I'm not sure if it's ok to comment or not on this... disregard if not.

Although i believe in religious freedom - i also believe in a secular minded citizens right to freedom from religion.

*Most* informed people recognize and rightly make a distinction between the Islamic religious zealots behind the 9/11 atrocities and the peaceful practicer's of the Islamic faith who where at the time and continue to be vehemently opposed and outwardly disgusted by them ..

*however*considering the terrorists who carried out this atrocity were ambassadors of an extreme form of the Islamic faith - disowned or not by westernized Muslims - in most peoples minds i imagine, unfortunately - the Islamic faith and the attacks *rightly or wrongly* are linked inexorably and such a gesture as admirably progressive and inclusive as it is will prove emotive , unacceptable and in very poor taste to a large proportion of people.

#19 Victoria, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  20. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I agree with you. I don't think any religion, race or sect should be allowed to build on that site.
    I'm a closet Christian. The Jesus I was taught about and chose to claim does not in any way reflect what most of the loudest and most visible "Christian leaders" of our day espouse. Those who frequently claim to demonstrate Christianity are simply our modern day Pharisees. If Jesus were to be alive today our Pharisees would murder him. And, few Christians would feel safe in speaking out against or opposing them.
    I don't want anyone to think that I am one of them!

Draft saved Draft deleted