A Prayer for Barbaro...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, May 21, 2006.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I dont know how many people watched the Preakness today and saw the devasting injury sustained by the Derby Winner Barbaro, but it was heartbreaking.He fractured his back right leg, above and below the ankle. His racing days are over and now they are just trying to save his life. I am still rather worked up about it.... Tell how you feel....

2. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    It makes me sick to see the horses breakdown... it is sad

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    as long as humans remain determined to exploit animals for profit and entertainment, shit like this will be par for the course (if you'll excuse the pun)

4. Shelby

Gold Member

If he survives he'll live better than a king. The best pussy and food in the world will be served to him whenever he wants it.

I'd trade a broken leg to be in his shoes.

5. D_Claude Hopper

D_Claude Hopper New Member

Look at it like this. Barbero is a thorughbred, which is one damn powerful animal if any of you ever get the chance just to ride one after their career is over which usually is just one year. They are tough, spirited, largely unbridled creatures that get raw joy out of hauling ass. Watch a four or five year old that used to race out in a pasture. It'll blow your mind. That's the arabian in them, the part that makes them arch their neck in full stride and suck down air and never quit. Also, he probably "pre-broke" his leg when he kicked out of the gate, so it's not likely that he had a bone weakening condition (this is a good thing for Barbero)

That being said, this particular colt has a bloodline which they won't want to give up on easily. I doubt they're gonna send him to the proverbial glue factory if it is reasonable to treat him. If they save this horses life, he'll probably live out his days siring many a young fillys and colts as a stallion.

6. D_Claude Hopper

D_Claude Hopper New Member

I detract part of my former statement. I didn't realize the colt had two leg breaks. I imagine he will be euthenized after surgery. sorry.

7. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

i cant wait to go out and buy some glue

8. naughty

Gold Member

That was beyond evil. You are truly living up to your online name.

9. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    He'll sure make some expensive dog food.

10. naughty

Gold Member

If you all dont care about the horse it is one thing, but please.... The most recent update is that for the time being he did come through the nine hour surgery sucessfully. The doctor said that until very recently injuries this bad were put down right there on the track. He broke 3 bones not 2 and had other dislocations. But I hope and pray he will come through this alright.

11. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

I wept when he went down and also feel terrible for the jockey he seemed to feel as he had done wrong Hope Barbaro comes through and lives a long full life.

12. brainzz_n_dong

brainzz_n_dong New Member

Naughty,

I am no expert on vet care, but thought I heard why it is so hard for horses to survive an accident like this. One of the morning shows had a guy on saying that horses suffer from "vascular compromise" during & after these accidents, which he poorly explained but it sounded like their arteries are very succeptible to collapsing/breaking down if they have a leg break. If that happens...

They said even though he came through the surgery very well, he still only has a 50-50 chance of making it. I also thought they said that his leg now has ?23? screws in it along with several plates. Here's hoping he makes it. One thing is certain: Nobody will ever remember the name of the horse that did win the Preakness.

13. naughty

Gold Member

Thanks Brainzz,

Yes, they are delicate things, arent they? All of that weight on such spindly legs holding only two arteries. Yes you are probably right about the Preakness winner unless he wins Belmont also. By the way, his name was Bernardino....

14. naughty

Gold Member

Well,

It seems Barbaro is doing even better today. He was scratching his ear with his right hind leg ( the injured one) DOnt try this at home folks... Also he seems to have captured the attention of the American public. His stall is over flowing with carrots, apples, and roses.... Makes me proud to be Amerkin....

Draft saved Draft deleted