A question about Pisoirs

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I guess this question would be for our European friends. Exactly how are they set up? Are they plumbed or just walls around a hole in the ground? I don't want to sound ignorant but, we haven't anything here in the US that even comes close. I've heard that it's just a room with a large urinal with no partitions.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Thanks Pieterjoke. For me it would have to be imagination since I've not be to Europe and I certainly don't think you're retarded.
We have rest areas but along the interstate. I think the type pisoir I was asking about is like this - Panoramio - Photo of Pisoir Antonsplatz .

And no, I don't think you're retarded, at all.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'm sure the environmentalists would have fits if we had those in the U.S. QUICK! CALL THE HAZMAT TEAM!

But it would be a relief for guys who have sunk to having to duck behind dumpsters to relieve themselves.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There is less privacy in many Continental toilets than is usual in America (eg sometimes passers by can see in the door when it is opened).

A range of old building designs can be found, as in your photograph. They have plumbing.

Some parts of Mediterranean Europe use Asian toilets (google for images) also called Easten toilets. For example these are still to be found in the south of France. It is possible to get used to them, sort of.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you Arktrucker for starting this thread. I'm planning a trip to Europe this spring and finding a WC is very important to me. I have a thimble sized bladder and I'm diabetic. Anyone who is diabetic knows, when you gotta go you gotta go, now.

I've been to Europe but that was many years ago. Can any of our European friends please tell me if its easy to find pisoirs?

Thanks

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
FYI, folks...it's spelled pissoir.

I have a bladder like a camel, apparently, so I didn't really notice the presence (or absence) of public urinals last time we were abroad. The one instance that does stick out was wandering around near the Eiffel tower close to midnight and finally finding a public toilet, only to see that it was locked at 6pm.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I was in Turkey last year and was aching for the WC and got into this old building toilet facility to find a few guys stood side by side with their clothes in their mouths whilst they took a dump in the showered trayed hole in the floor whilst being stood up. Hence my butt ached but i waited till i got back, it was filthy.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Arktrucker: You'll see units like these in the UK and Amsterdam. Handy huh? Just walk up, unzip, and let it rip.

Street urinals | The columnist | thelondonpaper

The Outdoor Urinals of Charing Cross

I've heard that there are a number of outdoor stone / cement structures in France that are completely exposed to passers by. Apparently, the rest of the world is more relaxed about peeing than the U.S. After all, when you've got to go, you've got to go.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sa...150308161?packedargs=suffix=ArticleController

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Arktrucker: You'll see units like these in the UK and Amsterdam. Handy huh? Just walk up, unzip, and let it rip.

Street urinals | The columnist | thelondonpaper

The Outdoor Urinals of Charing Cross

I've heard that there are a number of outdoor stone / cement structures in France that are completely exposed to passers by. Apparently, the rest of the world is more relaxed about peeing than the U.S. After all, when you've got to go, you've got to go.

Those are a little more open that I had expected. I am an avid fan of the British Comedies. One of my favorite is 'Allo Allo' set in a small french village. There was on episode where 3 of the characters were in a round pissoir all facing out and I assume they would have been peeing on the wall into a trough. Of course the comedic take was a bomb going off while they were doing their business.

Thanks guys for all the input. I've got a clearer picture of what they are.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I notice that the urinals of Charing Cross are marked with the international symbol for Mens Room.

Duh.

EDIT: In the U.S. these facilities would also have to be accessible to wheelchairs. :rolleyes:

NiceDude

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Always funny to see international differences. The very open street ones are mostly here to avoid guys peeing against buildings and such.... they are really there to avoid public peeing at night when bars close or at big events. Most of these are only in very busy nightlife areas or on events.

For the rest of it: public toilets are very easy to find in some countries and harder to find in others. Italy has plenty, you should manage fine in France as well and there are always bars, restaurants, stations and department stores to go to.