A question for my fellow young guys

cumvampire90

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hey guys...my question is...from your point of view....do you guys think homophobia is better then it was 5 years ago...maybe the same? And where do you see homophobia in 5 years?

rimmer9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is purely my opinion and not based on any research but talking to people i think that homophobia in the UK is on the increase amongst young people in low income groups.

lipollo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You will never get rid of homophobia in migrant groups as generally they are very religious meaning that they will always be against homosexuals and their advication for gay marriage.

Long&Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't know about anywhere else in the world but where I go to school at, the gay community is often under attack when they try to have their protests. For instance kids wore shirts that said "I survived gay day 07" after the GSA day of silence (is this something other places do, not just my school?). And everyone I know beriddles the 'gays' as well. I try to stay away...but peer preasure can be a real bitch sometimes.

So in answer to your question, No I don't think homophobia is getting better. I personally think it is on the rise with all that goes on and other peoples beliefs on the subject. I see homophobia in 5 years as relativley the same as it is now..perhpaps worse (hope I'm wrong).

breef

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My family are from Jamaica and you can't get more homophobic than that small country!

I'm straight but don't have a problem with people's choice of lifestyle or who they date.

Lower income groups - including in the black community - are very unwelcoming, even of people who aspire to break away from that economic bracket.

Having said that, I live in a so-called 'black area' and there's a gay club right in the middle of the district on a main shopping street! No graffiti, broken windows or guys being harassed/beaten. Maybe the message of tolerance is getting through.

dukey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Let's face a couple of realities. It's hard to be openly gay in most of the world today. That said, you can be openly gay today. It's a two edge sword.

On the one hand people are are having a hard time and are more against it in North America today than they ever were because it's in people's faces every day.

On the other hand these people are having that hard time because they are forced to deal with it. It's not that long ago that we wouldn't have known as much as we do now about anyone's bedroom details.

Bottom line: It's harder today, but it's getting better.

At least that's what I think.

dukey

Duality

Experimental Member
Media
In my opinion, the amount of bigotry in my neck of the woods is the same as it has been all my life: rampant, yet largely hidden from the public eye.

Both of my parents are huge bigots. As are all of their brothers and sisters, and formerly, their parents. When I was growing up I hated hearing them talk that way and vowed to never let myself be so callous to any of my fellow humans. I can distinctly recall moments in my childhood where my father's hate filled rants literally brought me to tears. His anger scared me beyond words.

I was abused (verbally for the most part, but physically at least once) for being 'weak'.

I grew up completely disgusted with my parent's narrow minded view of the world, and tried as hard as I could to not be like them. I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but I can only credit the media for helping me think the way I do today - I certainly didn't learn these values from my home life.

Now, as a kid I assumed that my peers, having grown up with like minded parents yet surrounded by the same enforcers of political correctness as I (the media as I said, but possibly my school and my scout troop as well), would think like me as well, ya know?

Not at all... the people I went to high school with, for instance, are all every bit as bad as my parents. And I know where they got it from: their parents. I heard many of my friend's parents speak just the same as mine over the course of my childhood. All I can guess as to why I'm not like them is that unlike me, they were unafraid of their parents' hate. They viewed it as normal, whereas I did not. I have a hard time blaming my peers for this - after all, we were only children. But at some point, that excuse stops working. At some point, you become old enough to make the decision for yourself. They chose wrong... but since the were raised by the wrong, they think they are right I guess...

Even if a person's parents weren't like that, they're not in the clear. All it takes is one bigot to infect the group - peer pressure can spread the feelings of hate from there. Luckily I was immune to the pressure as well, since, as a 'nerd' I was largely an outcast anyways.

Honestly, around here racism is the bigger issue, but homophobia is around all the same. Many people that have this hatred in their hearts seem to hold on to one distinct memory from their past to justify it. The following is the moment that my parents (and the rest of my family) use to hate gays:

I have an uncle who brought a boyfriend to a family function when I was a young child (about 5 years old). My memory is hazy, but I have 3 memories that, when filled in with info from my older brother, sum up the story the pretty well:

1. My grandmother shrieking. This was the moment she realized who the man with my uncle was.
2. A 2nd uncle and my father (who was an in law to this side) grabbing and literally throwing both men out of the house. This was the moment they realized who the man with my uncle was.
3. Me not seeing this uncle for about a decade (I grew up with this hazy memory of an uncle my parents insisted did not exist).

In most of my family's eyes, by bringing a man to this family function, my uncle hurt his mother. In other words, being gay hurt his mother. They refused to forgive him, until he came back around with a girlfriend (now wife). Only from there did they start to forgive him, but they still all mock him behind his back.

This brings me to the other half of my opening statement: I think a lot of people believe the world is in better shape, socially, only because the hate is now better hidden from the public eye. The last time I was in a restaurant with my parents (quite a while ago), the waiter did a perfect job. My parents were polite to him to his face, thanked him like normal. But once he walked away, in came the mocking, all because of his race. I haven't gone out with them since. I don't plan to do so ever again.

Between classmates and peers my age at my old job, this story is par for the course for many families. Gays, minorities, even women are viewed as 2nd class. I've given up argument with my family, they never listen as I have long since been labeled as 'weak', as I mentioned above. I have family members that call me the black sheep, heavily emphasizing the word black, if you catch my drift.

Honestly, I forgot where I was going with this... at some point typing this I went from anwering the question to getting wrought with the same emotions that have plagued my mind for the better part of the last 20 years. So I'm just going to stop, and post what I have typed. I'm honestly sick to my stomach right now, just from forcing myself to think about this stuff for the last hour.

EDIT: Oh yeah... my world will be exactly the same in 5 years. I can guarantee it. A few of the people I went to school with are already pregnant, so I guess that means a whole new generation of scum will already be infecting the world.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Digesting that^^^ ... Oof ...

There's no question that homophobia IN GENERAL is retreating. The amount of people that will say even mildly supportive stuff like "I'm not gay, but I don't have anything against it" has definitely increased, largely because of the political activity of queers over the last 35 years. You can see it in the shifts in polls over gay marriage and domestic partnerships, etc.

On the other hand, because of the increased visibility and progress, there has also been increased active backlash as we've all seen. And, as Duality pointed out, it's not like we have eliminated basic kitchen table bigotry either. Bottom line: It's still an extremely dangerous world for us, like it is for many other kinds of people. We've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go.

B_Rivas_Boricua4Ever

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey guys...my question is...from your point of view....do you guys think homophobia is better then it was 5 years ago...maybe the same? And where do you see homophobia in 5 years?

It truly depends on where you are and who you associate with. In some areas, homophobia has weakened; in others, it hasn't budged. It'll never truly go away - instead, much like racism, it'll adapt a more subtle or silent form.

As a Puerto Rican person who used to live in an urban environment (used to live in the projects...not live in a nice house in a nice suburn, thank God), I noticed that, more often than not, Hispanics and blacks seem much more homophobic than whites and what not. They act like being gay is like having a contagious disease, it's both ridiculous and iggnorant.

As I said, it all depends. I see a bit of both.

malandro(growing)

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
In my country (Brasil), homophobia is one of the most strongest social movements ever, besides the biggest International Gay Parade occurs on my city, Sao Paulo. =X, I never went there, and I prefer that way ^^

boerkie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
i live in a predominantly gay suburb. In a insufferable homophobic city. yes, we have the media that has allowed more and more gay programming, and we see men and woman same sex couples walking hand in hand down santa monica blvd, but to quote Priscilla, Queen of the Desert:
"These city walls, we dont know if it is to keep them out or keep us in"

The NEW OPENNESS has caused homophobia to go underground, and like all snakes, you NEVER know when it will surface from below, rear its ugly head and bite someone in the ass.

Give me overt homophobia anyday, that i can confront, fight and eradicate.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
homophobia is gone, nobody even cares about someone being gay.
NOT true.
I live in the southern midwest (gulf coast) and only after living here a year did I find out that I live around a whole bunch of people in the KKK. To listen to them talk is not a good thing. To listen to them talk about gays is nothing but pure venom. These people hate everybody including themselves. I guess that's par for the couse as they are always exhibiting amazing stupidity which never ceases to amaze me. I have absolutely no doubts that, given the right opportunities, they will not hesitate to do something really bad to the one(s) that they can get their hands on as they have done this before. Anyone remember the poor guy they dragged behind a pickup truck in Jasper, Texas? That was all them.

Also, this little scene blew my mind when I saw it. I went into town for lunch and on an empty street corner was obviously some church going people holding really big signs for everyone to see. They were from one of the denominations where the women always wear long dresses, long hair, (or in a tight bun) and no make up. The signs read that God hates fags, homosexuality is a sin, and a few others I can't remember. I went home to get my camera, but by the time I got back, they were already gone.
The Bible teaches that God does not hate anyone. If he hates you, how could he ever forgive you? Also it teaches that you love your neighbor as yourself. And not to judge/condemn anyone unless you want that done to you. It obvious to me that these people have sinned against God and presumed to know the will of God, and according to the Bible, God does not like that. Where's a lightning bolt when you need one.

So yes, some people still have a problem with gays.

Extremecummer

Sexy Member
Cammer
Media
Vincennes, Indiana, United States of America (the)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It might be interesting to have a dialogue between guys in YOUR generation and guys in MY generation about the way things have changed ... or haven't. At least most of the openly gay characters on TV are not bad people. You can't say that about movies over the years, where an openly gay or bisexual character was usually the villian and ended up being killed or commited suicide. Dennis

big_boy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm friends with a few gay guys and it was never really a problem where I'm from.
It was awkward when my best friend of 7 years came out and said he was in love with me but that's a whole other story.
I think people are realising that gay people aren't AIDS ridden lepors.
With all the terrorism scares these days I think racism has definately outrisen homophobia.
Maybe it was all a gay conspiracy?
xo

jack99821

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
EagleCowboy summed it up nicely with the Bible-thumpers and their hate signs. I'm Christian and I can't understand the bigotry of some of these folks (I lived in East Texas, so I know where he's coming from). It isn't neccesarily that these are bad people, just that they were raised without anyone telling them what their parents/ministers say is offensive. Their parents are like that because of their parents, and so on. Ministers though can definitely be the root of the issue, but they can also be inspirations.

It's what happens when you give someone a podium... you bring out the best or the worst in them, nothing in between. I mean yeesh, we have gay dudes preaching homophobia to millions now. The internet has advanced to the point that anyone can find others like themselves to rally around a cause, be it positive or negative. If anything, I think homophobia is unfortunately on the rise. People need something to look down on I think, and as sexism and racism phase out due to laws and social implications, gay bashing is looking like a good idea.

It doesn't help that the leader of the "free" world would rather cut his foot off than discuss homosexuals' issues. I think this is a momentary spike and should settle down after the '08 election, as most of the candidates are minorities or generally accepting. You've got Hillary, Obama, Richardson, and on the Republican side (speaking of which, why the fuck are their candidates so intent on political seppuku?) you have two NYC mayors, one of which has dressed in drag several times-- complete with photographs. I'm hopeful.

DangerZone8877

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it still exists, most definitely. however, i think that the stigma is starting to lift. people aren't as surprised by it as they once were. it's not as big a deal as it was 10 or so years ago.