A question for Straight men

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not totally straight, but I'lll give it a shot.

Over-the-top, very exageratted, stereotypical feminine behavior done in the interest of comedy, satire or just fun?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The reason I ask is, I was reading the "Movies that make men cry" thread. I noticed a man who defined himself as 100% straight listed "I Want to Live", with Susan Heyward, as a movie that always makes him cry. It gave me pause. I know that many gay men, at least of my generation, consider that movie to be a "CAMP Classic". It gives us endless hours of pleasure and the only tears we might shed during that movie were because we were laughing SO hard. So my question is looking to find out if a Straight man can understand "camp sensibility", or is that a trait that is unique to some gay men.
FYI Other Camp Classics:
Madame X
Auntie Mame
I want to Live
I'll Cry Tomorrow
Imitation of Life
Valley of the Dolls
Eyes of Laura mars
Mommie Dearest

I could go on and on!

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The question I always wanted to ask a gay guy is:

What is it you like about camp? In this case, the over-the-top melo-drama in the films you listed?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The question I always wanted to ask a gay guy is:

What is it you like about camp? In this case, the over-the-top melo-drama in the films you listed?
And the answer to that is:"I have No Fucking Idea"! :smile: They just make me, and a slew of other gay men, Laugh. Any guesses why?

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It probably has something to do with laughing at women.

Could be the same reason guys like to dress like Marilyn or Liza.

Are guys subtly making fun of females because they're the competition?

Something like...I'm hotter....& I could have your man if I wanted him?

Just a guess....

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The reason I ask is, I was reading the "Movies that make men cry" thread. I noticed a man who defined himself as 100% straight listed "I Want to Live", with Susan Heyward, as a movie that always makes him cry. It gave me pause. I know that many gay men, at least of my generation, consider that movie to be a "CAMP Classic".

I listed that movie as one that made me cry. Well, not really cry as in sobbing, but you know what happens, the eyes get kind of misty. :wink:
I only saw it once a long time ago, but I never knew it was considered a camp classic. I'm aware of some of the other movies you listed as being camp, but Susan Hayward won an Oscar for that film. I think of camp films as ones that didn't really do that well at the box office or were blasted by the critics, and have somehow developed a cult following in the gay community. What makes that movie camp?

Big en

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I listed that movie as one that made me cry. Well, not really cry as in sobbing, but you know what happens, the eyes get kind of misty. :wink:
I only saw it once a long time ago, but I never knew it was considered a camp classic. I'm aware of some of the other movies you listed as being camp, but Susan Hayward won an Oscar for that film. I think of camp films as ones that didn't really do that well at the box office or were blasted by the critics, and have somehow developed a cult following in the gay community. What makes that movie camp?

The over exagerated acting, the melodrama and really the fact that Susan Hayward is a gay favorite because she was quite Alpha-male :biggrin1:

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The over exagerated acting, the melodrama and really the fact that Susan Hayward is a gay favorite because she was quite Alpha-male :biggrin1:

lol Interesting. I never knew she was a gay favorite, and her acting did win her an Oscar unlike Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest, and some of the others mentioned. The Academy usually doesn't give awards for over acting, but being an old film, I guess that is possible; the criteria was different back then. It's been quite some time since I've seen that film. I'll have to watch it again. I wonder if I'll get teary eyed or laugh my ass off? :wink:

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Gee I am straight but I enjoy most of those flicks too.... maybe I should recalibrate my status.. lol Nah, I know what makes me rock.. (hard) wicked smiles....

Hey today is my birthday too!!!!!!!!!

uz