A question for the people who aren't ladies or men

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Everybody should have the chance to answer stupid questions :smile:

You may have understood the point that I was making which is that the correct usage is "Ladies and gentlemen" or "Men and women."

It continually irks me to see in a shoe store that they have shoes for ladies and men, but they don't have shoes for gentlemen. Or, on the doors for public conveniences, one door will be labeled "men" and the other door will be labeled "ladies." I have never seen them label one door "women" and the other door "gentlemen."

I am reminded of what happened when I worked for a former employer. Someone told me to take a form to "the lady over there." I said, "You mean lady Barbara?"

I suggest reverting to an earlier custom of using the term "lady" only to refer to either to a woman who has a title of nobility or some other distinction.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I don't know the muffin man :frown1:

"The Muffin Man" is a traditional nursery rhyme or children's song of English origin."

Do you know the muffin man,
The muffin man, the muffin man,
Do you know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane?

Yes I know the muffin man,
The muffin man, the muffin man,
Yes I know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane.

The Muffin Man - Wiki

My subcontractor is working overtime. :smile:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I suggest reverting to an earlier custom of using the term "lady" only to refer to either to a woman who has a title of nobility or some other distinction.

Didn't deTocqueville make some quote about in America they call all women ladies, be they ladies of the night or the wife of a minister?

Royalty is overrated, Sir. :tongue:

AllHazzardi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Simple; Dreamed it up, figured out how to do it, did it from both directions at the same time, like playing hide and seek with yourself. Instant paradoxical impossible self-propelling knot.

If you don't understand that answer, then you ain't playing with your own one-eye, jack.