A question I don't know where to ask...

Cycleman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...does anyone ever use their laptop wireless feature to use in the car and drive through neighborhoods looking to pick up a wireless signal?
What is it called? I thought it was frequency hopping, but that is what a
cell phone does.
Anybody know?
:confused:

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...does anyone ever use their laptop wireless feature to use in the car and drive through neighborhoods looking to pick up a wireless signal?
cell phone does.
Anybody know?

Let me know if your in my neighborhood so i can get off the fucking road

I had mine stolen and the person was prosecuted, good luck man

Your right VeeP it is theft, in my case the dude was arrested

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, other than I think it's called illegal, or at the very least unethical, I don't know what it is called!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I've picked up signals by accident while using my laptop on the bus. But I just keep typing.. I'm not interested in using something someone else pays for.

FitFemFan77

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would think its along the lines of theft of service. Its something your neighbor or local business is paying for and using for their personal use. Much like cable television. If you were to tap into their cable line and get free television, it is illegal.

If someone buys a wireless router and walks around telling everyone within 200 feet of their home that its open for use, then I would think it would be fine. If not, you are taping into something that is paid for by another person.

Granted, encryption keys are designed for such a purpose.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
cell phone does.
Anybody know?

It's called reckless endangerment. Watch the F'ing road.

There are doohickeys and thingamajigs you can buy that will alert you when you are in a hot-spot. My phone will beep when it detects a wireless network in range.

While it may be illegal to pirate wireless from someone else, people should be aware that the content going through the wireless router is the responsibility of the subscriber. If someone downloads illegal content using your wireless and disappears, the trail will only lead as far as you.

Encryption is key.

Cycleman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's called reckless endangerment. Watch the F'ing road.

There are doohickeys and thingamajigs you can buy that will alert you when you are in a hot-spot. My phone will beep when it detects a wireless network in range.

While it may be illegal to pirate wireless from someone else, people should be aware that the content going through the wireless router is the responsibility of the subscriber. If someone downloads illegal content using your wireless and disappears, the trail will only lead as far as you.

Encryption is key.
This is what I thought.
I don't want to take anyones files, just use the internet.
Please be awere that this is a hypothetical question. I do not actually practice this. But I have in the past.
Portland, OR. has wireless for free. It is part of their effort to bring the internet to the masses.