A Reason to Keep Your "Race" Card?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by playainda336, Mar 20, 2008.

1. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I cry racism too- The cops are racist.

3. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

Being stopped when doing something wrong is not racism.

When you say " You betta run N***ger cause I'm bout to kill you"

Yeah that would be racist.

4. dong20

Gold Member

Aaah ... Piggly Wiggly.

I can't really make out the final audio, but it seemed a recklessly aggressive manoeuvre.

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    IMO, the officer should probably face criminal charges.

If you are in a vehicle being pursued by the police and you strike either them or their cars, among other things, you'll find yourself charged with assaulting police officers with a deadly weapon. Unless I'm mistaken, every state has interpreted their deadly force statutes to include the use of motor vehicles in an assault.

Police are held to the same standards, and the rules under which they can employ the use of deadly force are clearly established. It's possible there are aspects to this story we can't ascertain from the video, but simply fleeing from the police is not sufficient grounds for their use of lethal force.

In any case, their attitudes presented after the fact were nothing short of disgusting. Racist? Arguable. General contempt and disregard for another human being. Unquestionably.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

The video wouldn't load; but I caught the tail end of it on the news. The officer in the car said, "Yeah I hit him I meant to hit him." :wtf2:

Not having seen the beginning of the video in question I have no idea what crime the suspect had committed. Regardless, assuming the suspect was guilty I don't think hitting him on purpose with a vehicle was necessary. I think it's extreme force. Was it racially motivated? Probably, it did happen in the south afterall. :rolleyes: :duh: Not saying that wouldn't happen in the north. It's just that as a recent transplant to the south some of the things that go on here and pass for normal/acceptable are mind boggling to me.

Trooper misconduct on tape

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 - 08:31 PM Updated: 05:16 PM

By Tim Gehret

State troopers caught on tape running down suspects with patrol cars has state lawmakers asking why the Highway Patrol isn't coming down harder on officers who break the rules.

In video obtained by News 2, taken from dashboard cameras, you'll see in some cases it's not just the suspect's life in danger.

In his statement to internal affairs, Lance Corporal S.C. Garren says he chased a Greenwood county suspect for speeding in June of 2007.

But when the suspect stopped his car and decided to run, trooper Garren didn't do the same.

Was he chasing him? Or using his car as a weapon?
    On paper he says no, but his words tell a much different story.
    "I f***ing nailed him. I nailed the f**** out of him." When an officer later asks if Garren hit the suspect. He responded ""Yeah, I tried to hit him." He later says in a report that his comments were taken out of context.

Garren's video is just one of three recordings released to News 2 by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety and one of several released in the last two months where questionable actions by troopers and their comments were caught on tape.

Just months prior to officer Garren's pursuit, Lance Corporal Alex Richardson ran a suspect down in Lexington county. In Richardson's case, he continued weaving his patrol car through the buildings of this apartment complex dodging children in his path.

In his disciplinary report, his boss wrote: "Your decision to continue a vehicular pursuit... posed a safety risk to others."

He received what's known as Level II reprimand and was ordered to take a stress management class.

Garren was suspended for three days without pay and was back out on the street.

The Department of Public Safety declined an on-camera interview, but their spokesperson Syd Gaulden says the solicitor's office in neither jurisdiction found either officer intentionally tried to harm anyone.

He says there are more tapes like these currently under investigation.

"Let's say it's 10 tapes or 100 tapes," Gaulden says. "That's 100 tapes too many but it's less than one percent of the stops we make. To say it's a systemic problem is a stretch

The controversy led to the Public Safety Director James Schweitzer's resignation in February.

Senator Robert Ford told the Post and Courier that a legislative subcomittee will have to study the "mounting evidence" of brutality by state troopers before a new public safety director is appointed.

Governor Sanford's has not seen the videos but his office released this statement to News 2.

"We believe very strongly in the idea of leaders being held accountable for their decisions and actions, which is why when we make our pick for the next DPS director we're going to make it clear to them that everyone at the patrol should be treating people professionally at all times."

WEB EXTRAS:
    VIDEOS.....

DOCUMENTS.....

RELATED STORIES

7. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    C'mon people. Stop overreacting to every little thing that smacks of racism. Talk about playing cards...sheeshhh...

Everyone knows that this is just in the line of regular policework. Especially here in the good ol' south. In fact it's part of their training. Seen it for myself. They have a room with these video screens, steering wheels, pedals for gas and brakes and a chase simulation program. In fact it's called "Hit a n----r chase simulation training". The object is to see just how many simulated n----rs one can hit in a 20 minute chase. You should see em go!

I think the winner gets somethin' like a certificate and a box of Dunkin Donuts.

"All in the line of duty... sheeit."

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ya know, that would probably be pretty damned funny if only it weren't for the high likelihood of its being true.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

The way that cop was shown chasing down the suspect reminded me of how they would show overseers and bounty hunters chasing slaves in Roots and other movies of that genre. :mad:

Then again I'm sure they run down white criminals like that too. :rolleyes: NOT! :angryfire2:

10. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Le. Sigh.

-shaking my head-

11. joybunny

joybunny New Member

OMG

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

piss poor driving ... possibly cultural issue, one aspect of which would be racism

13. transformer_99

Gold Member

I think the comments are what they are, a case of a police officer deriding joy out of apprehending a fleeing criminal that was trying to evade due process. Was it a black man, yes, but watch Cops and there are just as many trailer trash whites taken down with similar force. Ever listen to the audio of that, most the officers are full of either an adrenaline rush, if not winded after the chase and take down. The process of handcuffing that criminal isn't a gentle process either. When someone is lying on their stomach and not resisting after a take down, kneeing them in the back and grabbing their arms and handcuffing in my opinion is a bit excessive, yet it happens in virtually all the footage I've seen. But let's face it, often times the criminal is still resisting so some force is necessary to make the whole process happen as quickly as possible without exposing officers to harm. You never know what happens it's fight or flight, people are like animals and when they get to a point where fleeing isn't working, they will posture to fight when cornered, whether it was advisable or they even put up a good stand is irrelevant, they did offer their last act of defiance.

14. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    There's a difference, practically and legally, between force and lethal force. Joint locks, pressure point manipulation, and physical submission do not pose risk to the survival of the suspect, odd conditions aside.

The trained use of some implements (batons, Tasers, chemical irritants) constitutes an elevated level of force that is still not qualified as lethal.

The employment of any firearm, explosive, or vehicle inherently presents the potential to kill the recipient of such force, and there are specific guidelines in every state that govern its use. Suffice it to say that in no state does an unarmed man fleeing from police warrant the use of deadly force to apprehend him.

It was the officers' callous disregard of a human life that I found most disturbing...not the fact that it happened to be a black man on the shit end of this stick. Absent some justifying circumstance, the officer's statements put him in a bad position to defend against an attempted murder charge.

15. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

I hate cops in general (sorry if any of you are police) and this one is particularly disgusting. It's an insane tactic with total disregard for the suspect's life and safety. What did the guy do? If he was a murderer, I guess I can understand... maybe.

16. 9incut

9incut New Member

Sadly enough, I'm originally from S.C. And...it happens. I don't go home much.

17. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's the point of contention for me. I think the officer was too lazy for a foot chase.

I don't see it as a racial issue.

18. dong20

Gold Member

Perhaps, perhaps not. This incident is particularly worrying. Not just for the spectacular stupidity and negligence of driving a vehicle at speed through a housing complex (see the family jump back?) but for them being too damn lazy to get out and chase him down on foot.

I wonder if it's a new, low energy expenditure law enforcement strategy. In South Carolina at least. In the OP cited incident, the officers were suspended for three days. It doesn't say by what.

Some more background here.
    WLTX-TV News, Weather, Sports for Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina

19. D_one and done

D_one and done New Member

wow. crazy video....

we can speculate on whether or not it was done out of racism, but the fact is that a white police officer struck a black criminal in his cruiser and was proud of it. if the act wasn't done out of racism then he should have been smart enough to recognize what running his car into a black criminal and bragging about it would imply.

20. Principessa

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted