A Reason to Keep Your "Race" Card?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Weird.

Knowing he was being chased, why'd he cross the road right then and there?

I thought people were supposed to look both ways before crossing the street. :rolleyes:

OKOKOKOK bad joke. Just too weird. After almost hitting kids with his car a few months ago, what the hell was the officer doing being a wheel?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Honestly?

No, I was lying through my teeth.:rolleyes:

Front page, Black Cop receives death penalty...dies in two years.
[/list]

I was referring in general, to a general reluctance to assign racial motivation to crimes of this nature, as opposed to the often immediate converse assumption of motive, with or without evidence - illustrated in this case by the incident in this thread. I'm assuming the case you refer to involved a fatality? Well, no one was killed in the events related in this thread. It's not exactly an even comparison, is it?

BTW, I wasn't speaking to any nation or jurisdiction, I try to consider issues a little more broadly, it often irritates that there appears to be an assumption that almost everything commented on here is targeted solely at the US? I certainly wasn't being specific to SC as you decided to edit in at the end.:rolleyes:

Naturally, one can always find specific instances to refute a generality, any generality. Because that's the nature of generalities. As I'm sure you well understand.

It would be useful if you could cite details. And, perhaps a dozen more similar cases from different countries?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, no one was killed in the events related in this thread. It's not exactly an even comparison, is it?
Maybe...can you get the death penalty for attempted manslaughter?

(I kid...I kid.)

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yep of course you'd say that. I see that my statements go hand in hand with my later post and of course it's only your opinion.
It's funny how most of you white people don't find it "racist.
The whites who do strongly disagree with your statement.
You never hear about cops doing anything like this to whites folks gullette
so that pretty much negates your statement.
What I said should be true but it clearly isnt. Bad acts should not have a color but your view assures it will.
Oversimplification? your statement.
cigarbabe:saevil:

1. "you white people"? I'm darker than you. I'm a visible minority, unlike some who need to advertise their status. That you assume anyone not convinced that this is racism must be white demonstrates a racial bias of your own.

2. It would be easier to take you seriously if you could form a coherent argument. Or spell for that matter.

3. YouTube - Officer Rivieri Assaults A 14 Year Old Skater In Baltimore

YouTube - Bitch Cop Dumps Disabled Man Out Of His Wheelchair

YouTube - Bad Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=SlkaVamHVDk

YouTube - LAPD beating (hi-res)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQuofF6E-UM&feature=related

Jeez, after watching these, you're right. Excessive use of force does only happen to black people. :rolleyes:

While what Playa has added gives me reason to pause, I stand by my original assessment. Excessive force, definitely. Racism, the incident itself is not proof positive.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What does any of this have to do with the subject?
...the event happened in South Carolina? :confused:

South Carolina is known for it's less than amiable race relations. It is a predisposition that I have, but I duly noted that it was a subjective point of view...which you would have taken note of if you read my post.

(...without assuming that you don't know the difference between objective and subjective.)

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Again, what does any of these things have to do with the subject? What does a flag flying at the capital have to do with the police hitting someone with their car?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Look up subjective and objective in a dictionary. And then get back to me.

On a second look, I noticed you're from South Carolina...and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're White.

I'm not going to argue with you, but one of these days you're going to leave SC and see how ass backwards it is.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Then again I'm sure they run down white criminals like that too. :rolleyes: NOT! :angryfire2:

You're right.

White criminals don't run -- at least not as much.

Why? Because they know that they're genetically predisposed to be slower, and don't see the point in trying to escape.

:wink: :biggrin1: :tongue:

I've never understood why people try so hard to run from the cops anyway; it just makes things worse. They piss off the cops, run up more charges, etc. I guess it makes sense in the mind of criminals, who, by their very nature, are cheats and liars that try to get away with doing anything they want (and, as a result, get less respect from me than I give to any other human being).

There are bad cops, of course. Everyone knows about them only because there are cameras on them all the time. If everyone on the street documented everything that they saw, we'd be amazed at the things that otherwise "normal" people do to each other.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Look up subjective and objective in a dictionary. And then get back to me.

On a second look, I noticed you're from South Carolina...and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're White.

I'm not going to argue with you, but one of these days you're going to leave SC and see how ass backwards it is.

Yes, I was born and live in SC. Yes I'm white. What does this have to with anything?
No, I don't plan on living anywhere else, I'm quite happy where I am. Ass backwards, compared to what? Please tell me how everything is so much better everywhere else. If that's the case why are people moving here in droves? This is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
How about this... we look beyond the racial ties and look at the obvious?

Under no circumstances should a policeman be trying to hit or run over ANYONE when pursuing a suspect. The only exception to this rule is whether or not the cop's life was in jeopardy and it clearly wasn't. If the suspect was running and shooting back at him (or other innocent pedestrians), then you'd understand why more aggressive measures such as this would be necessary. From what I saw on the video, I didn't see anything threatening of the sort. Regardless if the suspect was black, white or whatever race, the cop fucked up. Period. And he should be penalized heavily for that. He could be tried himself for Manslaughter.

Sometimes we want to place race on everything. Even if it was racially motivated, we have to learn how to look beyond that and treat the problem as it really is. It's too easy to say, "He did it because the guy running is Black". That guarantees a response, an argument and a conflict. Look at the real issue here. It's a cop abusing his role and power on others. It's a cop using very bad reasoning for hitting a pedestrian with a moving vehicle. That's what we should all be discussing here... not skin tone!

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yes, I was born and live in SC. Yes I'm white. What does this have to with anything?
No, I don't plan on living anywhere else, I'm quite happy where I am. Ass backwards, compared to what? Please tell me how everything is so much better everywhere else. If that's the case why are people moving here in droves? This is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation.
Yeah...they say the same thing about every state...INSIDE of that state.

They say Raleigh is one of the fastest growing metros in the country. Do I believe it? Do I care? No.

But what I am saying is that as I admit to my subjectiveness, you must admit to your own. You are a Caucasian SC bred male. Simple as that. And one who has not ventured outside of your own dwelling. You see things from your side of the fence. And you're content with that.

Nothing wrong with that. But if you could see things from both sides, then you'd know that one of a South Carolinian is skewed, just as mine as a North Carolinian is skewed. As anybody from anywhere. You have a bias. Admit to it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably see nothing wrong with the video and think that the negro probably did something bad enough to get ran over by the car and that the cop was doing his job. And so because of the slightly excessive force, all the cop deserves is a slap on the wrist.

I could be wrong, but...again, that's all subjective. Biased. Prejudiced even. I admit to that. Can you?

billybulge

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The only exception to this rule is whether or not the cop's life was in jeopardy and it clearly wasn't. If the suspect was running and shooting back at him (or other innocent pedestrians), then you'd understand why more aggressive measures such as this would be necessary. From what I saw on the video, I didn't see anything threatening of the sort.

Hmm, I know a MAJOR U.S. City that the law states that ANY fleeing felon can be stopped by way of DEADLY force as long as the felony happened in the Officers presence.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hmm, I know a MAJOR U.S. City that the law states that ANY fleeing felon can be stopped by way of DEADLY force as long as the felony happened in the Officers presence.

Exactly what I mentioned before. It's not just a city rule, either...it's state law in Texas, and many others as well.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

And that, my friend, is fucked up.
Seriously, deadly force for any felon? What if he stole an apple from a fruit stand? Shall we shoot him? Oh god, he's jaywalking. Another crime. Why don't we take out his knee caps?

There's a level of common sense that people fail to use that just slays me. The punishment is supposed to equal the crime, not overly surpass it. Running away does not equal death. I'm not trying to stand up for any felon, but people who are supposed to be authority are supposed to use it properly. Any "major city" that supports this idea of doing whatever they wish to felons is one that fails to think. And why should I even waste my time there to visit?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Maybe less CRIMINALS would run if they knew this was the result. Sorry, but I am 100% for these troopers commendable actions.
Tell me you're being sarcastic.
...if I'm not mistaken, the man running in this video did not commit a felony.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about this... we look beyond the racial ties and look at the obvious?

Under no circumstances should a policeman be trying to hit or run over ANYONE when pursuing a suspect. The only exception to this rule is whether or not the cop's life was in jeopardy and it clearly wasn't. If the suspect was running and shooting back at him (or other innocent pedestrians), then you'd understand why more aggressive measures such as this would be necessary. From what I saw on the video, I didn't see anything threatening of the sort. Regardless if the suspect was black, white or whatever race, the cop fucked up. Period. And he should be penalized heavily for that. He could be tried himself for Manslaughter.

Sometimes we want to place race on everything. Even if it was racially motivated, we have to learn how to look beyond that and treat the problem as it really is. It's too easy to say, "He did it because the guy running is Black". That guarantees a response, an argument and a conflict. Look at the real issue here. It's a cop abusing his role and power on others. It's a cop using very bad reasoning for hitting a pedestrian with a moving vehicle. That's what we should all be discussing here... not skin tone!

+1

Maybe less CRIMINALS would run if they knew this was the result. Sorry, but I am 100% for these troopers commendable actions.

Hmm... not too sure about the word "commendable", but +1 on "Maybe less criminals would run..."

There's a level of common sense that people fail to use that just slays me. The punishment is supposed to equal the crime, not overly surpass it. Running away does not equal death.

True, and I'll look at it the other way as well -- the effort of the criminal to escape should equal the severity of his crime. If the guy stole an apple, is it really worth the hassle of running from the cops?

Choosing to run escalates the crime from merely shoplifting a fruit all the way to resisting arrest, assaulting an officer, and whatever else can get cooked up (I hope I never find out myself).

If the crime is so minor, why run at all? Suck it up and take it like a man. Pay your fine and apologize to the shopkeeper later.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
In my first response to this thread i was being somewhat facetious. Hopefully there is really no hit the fleeing felon simulation training in S. Carolina (or anywhere else for that matter).

In all fairness (I try to be) and if I may, however, play the devil's advocate (no pun intended); the nature of the job is perhaps something to be also taken into account regarding this incident. I'm not saying it was right, not saying it wasn't racially motivated, certainly, at least, an excessive use of force...but possibly also a result of the environment in which they work.

Admittedly, I have friends and even relatives who a members of some police force, someplace. I've heard personal accounts of incidents (by black cops, dealing with black perps). Let's just say, the things they may find amusing (or may even brag about) are not within the range of what the average joe would find "appropriate". This is so of doctors and nurses too.

I've seen guys who were basically good and kind-hearted people develop a hardened and even callous attitude about the kind of people they deal with on a daily basis, (no not kind meaning race - but kind meaning people out there who are usually up to "no good") and do so in continuously adversarial and sometimes life threatening situations.

Many cops go overboard. In the heat of the chase they cross the line between "protect-and-serve" and "excessive force". Throw in the animosity, the frustrations of the job, the general enmity (or indifference) of John Q Public... then toss in racism (in those cases where it exists on a personal and institutional level) and you probably have small wonder that more such incidences don't occur.

Well, guess what...they do. You just don't hear of them.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And that, my friend, is fucked up.
Seriously, deadly force for any felon? What if he stole an apple from a fruit stand? Shall we shoot him? Oh god, he's jaywalking. Another crime. Why don't we take out his knee caps?

There's a level of common sense that people fail to use that just slays me. The punishment is supposed to equal the crime, not overly surpass it. Running away does not equal death. I'm not trying to stand up for any felon, but people who are supposed to be authority are supposed to use it properly. Any "major city" that supports this idea of doing whatever they wish to felons is one that fails to think. And why should I even waste my time there to visit?

Your knowledge of criminal law is lacking.

Petty theft and jaywalking are misdemeanor offenses, not felonies...and the law authorizing such use of force is a state law, not a city ordinance. Quit being such a drama queen.