Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Two More:

1. What letter is This: R ?

It is the letter "are" not "Are-Rah"

Are-Rah was an Egyptian God, I think, although I could be mistaken! LOL

2. Yous instead of "you all". This one is a favorite of east coast white trash in Baltimore.

Ex: "Yous need to get offa my stoop! Right now!!"

UGH.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
GoneA said:
Well, *I* have something great to put in my signature, now.

haha! weeeee

Down here in the south, we say that we're "fixing" to do something. If you're pressed for time though, you can take a couple letters out and just say "Get in the Cadi. We fi'n to go to da sto. We gone' buy us some fow-dees."

Ghetto Delta

Hell, these fat round thick ass vessels be running up in the sky so deep, it be crying. Yeah, you thought it was rain.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
I know this is off thread.

I am in the south right now, AL to be exact. I am from the north, and some of the southernisms are quite funny. The first time I heard, "I'm a fixin....", I asked the guy if it was broken. Another one I like is, "I'm gonna carry him to the store." I also like the plural of y'all, all y'all. I have also discovered folks down south do not push buttons, they mash them. They do not go to Wal-mart, but instead go to
Wal-marts.

I do enjoy the pace of life here....do the police issue speeding tickets? It seems to me as if there is no hurry to get anyplace, and gosh if the store clerk asks how you are doing....they want to really know.

I love the cute southern girls with the accents too, even if they are difficult to sometimes understand.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
madame_zora said:
You have no idea how good it is for we women...
Funny that, "for we women" was one of my mother's pet peeves, so I always notice it. Nothing the matter with "for us women" (as distinct from "Us women think..."). You wouldn't say "...how good is is for we." would you?

Me, I'm more relaxed about grammar (except my own) and the "rule" about ending a sentence with a preposition is a pseudo-rule based on what's correct in Latin, or something. "Where are you going to?" is perfectly good colloquial English. As Winston Churchill may or may not have said, "[Ending a sentence with a preposition] is something up with which I will not put." And there's a nice story about a little boy who said "You brought the wrong book for me to be read to from out of up."

What annoys me more is fashionable expressions that blur the meaning of existing words. We live on an island, and "offshore" has almost replaced "overseas" to mean "in another country", which is really misleading when you're talking about oil or fish supplies, which may really come from offshore.

And shall I start about text language? For quick back and forth, "u r" by all means, but not when there are no time or money constraints on the number of letters you can use.

The main thing is, can the message be misunderstood? EG, "ur" could be "you are " or "your" . YOU know what you mean, but your reader may not.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
I think I just popped a girl-boner.
:biggrin1:

You and I share this peeve and also that we'll nail someone's grammar only when and if the person's a total ass. I'll forgive scads of poor grammar if reason prevails.

IRregardless- pretend you're Van Gogh and cut off the IR! (Thanks, DMW)
This is not a word, and while many people use it to make their point, the only point they're making is that they don't know what constitutes a word.

I suspect mz that it's a confusion of "irrespective" and "regardless".... 'regardless' of course being perfectly legitimate.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Heather LouAnna said:
lol It winds you up, hu? I had the cutest little black femme gay guy tell me at the Chick-Fil-A drive through on Friday "Here's your nuggets, baby! You have a fab-uh-lous day."

You think that's bad.

My mother met a woman once who said "Oh it was awful. The poor woman had very very very close veins".:eek:

BronxBombshell said:
Lieberry. My favorite kind of fruit.

Right up there with Feb you ary.... my favorite non month.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lex said:
(don't even get Momma Lex started on double-negatives equalling a positive)

Lecturer: A double negative, strictly speaking, equals a positive. The contrary, however is not the case. A double positive does not equal a negative.

Voice from the back: Yeah, right.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Lex said:
"Ain't got no"

As in, "We ain't go no fuckin KOOL-AID~!! Oh HELL NAW~!!"

(don't even get Momma Lex started on double-negatives equalling a positive)

lol! My black friend Chuck would always be drinking kool-aid. We'd make fun of him for it all the time. He was the kind of individual who would call marijuana "kill." Prounounced "keel."

"Come ova. We blazin' the keel."

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lex said:
Two More:

1. What letter is This: R ?

It is the letter "are" not "Are-Rah"

Are-Rah was an Egyptian God, I think, although I could be mistaken! LOL

And it's Zed, not Zee. (And how about "Izzard"?) And the "h" is silent in the name of the letter H: "aitch".

I don't see any point in saying what is "correct" in cases like those. They're just variants. Both are right.

2. Yous instead of "you all". This one is a favorite of east coast white trash in Baltimore.

Ex: "Yous need to get offa my stoop! Right now!!"

UGH.

Once it was "correct" to refer to your equals as "thou" and your "betters" as "you". Since we're now all equal, we now use the same for everyone. The Quakers - ahead of their time - tried calling everyone "thou" but "you" won the day, later.

Ever since then, we've felt the lack of a singular-plural distinction in "you". "You all" "Yous" and "Youfallas" fill that lack. Who's to say any of them is "wrong". Give it time, and one will come to dominate and become "correct".

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Also:

The phrase is not: That is something I will not put up with.

but:

The phrase is: That is something up with which I will not put.

Heather LouAnna said:
I hate when people say "flustrated."

and it's SPEE-CEES. Not Spee-shees, god damnit.
True! But you're just nitpicking now. :tongue:

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Snozzle said:
Ever since then, we've felt the lack of a singular-plural distinction in "you". "You all" "Yous" and "Youfallas" fill that lack.
You forgot "you'ins!" :biggrin1:

It drives me nuts when someone says "To each his own." The correct phrase is "To each is own."

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Snozzle said:
Once it was "correct" to refer to your equals as "thou" and your "betters" as "you". Since we're now all equal, we now use the same for everyone. The Quakers - ahead of their time - tried calling everyone "thou" but "you" won the day, later.

Exactly so. And at one time one used the masculine pronoun "his" in the "to each his own" which was inclusive to females. Is that archaic now Snozzle in your opinion?

And when was it ever all right to use "yous"??:eek:

I had a waitress come to table recently saying "are yous ready to order?"

It just doesn't work.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Snozzle said:
Funny that, "for we women" was one of my mother's pet peeves, so I always notice it. Nothing the matter with "for us women" (as distinct from "Us women think..."). You wouldn't say "...how good is is for we." would you?

Aaaaaah, I've been nailed! You are right of course. *makes mental note*

Another mispronunciation that grinds me is Miss Cheevious- who the fuck is she anyway? Mischievous is pronounced like mischief-ous only with the "f" softened to a "v".