A Republican victory we can all celebrate:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mindseye, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mindseye

Gold Member

In September, I listed William Jefferson as the #2 Democratic congressman that I did not wish to see re-elected. Tonight, Jefferson lost his re-election bid: With 79% of the vote in, CNN has called the election for his Republican opponent Anh Cao.

This is a victory we can all celebrate. While I hate to cede any Congressional seat to a Republican, Jefferson was a corrupt shyster, indicted on 16 federal charges, stripped of his committee chairs, and an embarrassment to the Democratic caucus. As icing on the cake, Cao's election makes our Congress even more diverse: he will be the first Vietnamese-American elected to either House.

2. D_season 5

D_season 5 Account Disabled

here here...about time Democrats and Republicans get rid of all this crap in DC.. next exit..Reid and Pelosi...

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Way to continue the bipartisan spirit. Forget I brought it up.

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Who's #1?

5. mindseye

Gold Member

The list of names (and reasons) is linked in the OP, but #1 was Joe 'I'm Such A Good Sport, I Created My Own Party' Lieberman.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Member

Now that the Democrat's hopes of getting to the filibuster-proof magic number of 60 has been dashed (which kind of renders Joe's vote irrelevant), can they now take away his chairmanship of the Homeland Security Committee? Seems like Joe couldn't burn his bridges behind him fast enough. Admittedly, I am still bitter--I don't mind his support of McCain (1st Amendment), but I think some of his criticisms of Obama crossed a line. Sorry for getting off topic.

7. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

Check the link: It was Lieberman, though I had hoped he would have put Tim Mahoney on that list somewhere.

8. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Shoulda guessed. A worthy list of losers.

#8 Qua, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. mindseye

Gold Member

The Tim Mahoney news hadn't yet been broken in September 2008 (source).

10. houtx48

Gold Member

if there were a repb that could get rid of nancy polosi i'd give him the the blowjob of his closeted life

11. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    In the November Democratic primary we (my family) had thought we'd never vote for Bill Jefferson again. Not only for the indictments, but moreso because of his support for the "Mr. Go" project that people in our parts had long since wanted to see closed down. This little used waterway (Mississippi River Gulf Outlet) is a manmade canal that shoots hurricane driven water like a dart thru a blowgun, right up into the Industrial Canal - and is widely known to be the primary contributor to levee failures and widespread flooding in New Orleans.

But even after The Storm Jefferson was still trying to defend the Mr. Go.

However, in the November election we found ourselves having to reluctantly vote for him. Why?? Because people in largely Republican areas to our west put him in a run-off against an ex t.v. anchorperson making her first foray into politics. A t.v. news reporter?? No frekin way were voters in this area going to let that happen.

Last Saturday though it was just Jefferson vs. Cao and many in eastern N.O. black communities had apparently long since grown tired of the scandal and embarrassment (notwithstanding the above).

So the absence of voter turnout (for Jefferson) I think clearly spelled out the sentiments (of many of us, at least):

it was high time for a change.

#11 b.c., Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  12. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

While I am thrilled Jefferson is out of office now (And what is taking so long with his criminal case? He was indicted like two years ago.), I'm just not sure how good of a representative Rep. Cao will be for New Orleans. I hope he proves me wrong. (Granted he can only be better for New Orleans than Jefferson, but that doesn't really take much, doesn't it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted