A sad day at my house...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jun 4, 2008.

1. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

As many of you know i own hermit crabs. I took some photos not too long ago and put them in my gallery with my first jumbo crab Elizabeth. She was atleast 10 years old because of her size.

I've noticed the past few days that Elizabeth was becoming lethargic and lost all 6 of her legs lastnight. I was up the whole night with her frantic about the first 2 she lost, only to wake up after a short nap to find that she had lost the 2 more and then another two just now. A crab can't live without her legs and she is passing away and will be gone before nightfall i presume.

It just breaks my heart to know how much time i've spent holding her and getting to know her to have to let her go like this. It's been awfully sad for me and i was good holding back the tears until i had to call my mom and tell her what happened. Then i let it all out...i feel a little more to terms with whats going on.

We've lost two baby crabs in the last month or so due to post purchase stress. Elizabeth obviously didn't have this as we've had her for a while, whatever she had took her rather quickly compared to the other 2.

We burry them in a special place in the backyard with their shell still on.

Sorry to be so depressive on you but i'm really really sad over losing someone that has made my life so much more fullfilling. I hate to have to tell my daughter when she gets up. She will have to make another tombstone.

-Mlle Rouge

Attached Files:

#1 B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  2. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Poor little crabs... that sucks BIG TIME!!! Reminds me of my stint with box turtles several years back, they brought joy but soon brought death and grief as well. Those little crabs were awesome for you... watching them would relieve your stress and relax you at night... and your daughter loved them too. I am really sorry for the ill health and subsequent death of your crabs Mademoiselle Rouge. At the very least, your daughter is learning valuable lessons on attachment and loss, albeit the hard way.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

sorry to hear this red. :frown1:

i used to collect hermit crabs when my family went to mexico when i was young over the holidays...

they are rather interesting...not many creatures are resourceful enough to carry their house with them everywhere they go :smile:

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Sorry to hear this Red - maybe it's just old age. But then that doesn't make it any easier, does it... :hug:

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear about this. What a sad way to lose a pet.

I was surprised with the pic link that you showed, they are much bigger than I expected. I guess I was thinking of a hermit crab, or whatever the tiny ones that are smaller than their shells are called. You should get an Anteater, they are precious. http://www.lpsg.org/90438-a-new-dimension-of-cute.html

#5 Mem, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

:frown1: :hug:

I remember thinking how sweet it was when you told us how she would sleep in your robe pocket.

I'm sorry you and the little one are having to cope with another loss so soon.:frown1:

7. TwasBrillig

TwasBrillig Member

For what's worth, I'm sorry for your loss. I, too, have small living things here and they do have a place in this world.

8. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh Sweetheart! I am so sorry for you. If there's anything we can do to give you some comfort and peace of mind let us know love ya sweety

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm so sorry to hear you're loosing another little crab. *hugs*

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Im so sorry to hear this:frown1:

11. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Hugs for you RED.
    You poor tender hearted thing.

12. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

I agree, dragonfly. Mlle. Rouge is one of the true sweethearts on the site. Pet deaths are always horrible, I suffered through losses of cats several times. But I also got upset as a child from goldfish dying, and also once I had a pet catfish after I caught him in a pond. As well as Easter biddies that grew into a rooster--and my grandfather ate it!

13. ballsaplenty2156

ballsaplenty2156 New Member

I am sorry for your pain. I wish you peace in the knowledge that she will be out of pain and suffering.

14. jmn5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm sorry for your loss. The death of emotional attachment is a very difficult thing to cope with. It hurts the heart, and especially those of a heart with a deep capacity for love. I hope you and your family will find comfort in each other's arms.

Hugs

15. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I'm so bummed out. It was so hard to take her out of her shell and wrap her up with her broken legs. Right now i'm loving on my other animals and crabs and just looking them over good to make sure i dont miss any signs of illness with them.

Whatever it was, it took her fast. All animals look very different without life behind their eyes. I get very attached to animals because i spend so much time in my house with them. Being the night owl that i am, the nocturnal crabbies keep me a lot of company and i look forward to checking on them like a new infant in a crib.

Honestly, my 6 year old is handling this much better than i am. I've suffered the loss of close relatives and other animals but there is something incredibly different about watching an animal lose all 6 of their large legs (as long as my fingers) before succumbing to death.

I can handle a lot of bizarre and even dark imagery, but for some reason when i invest a lot of hours in holding and stroking a pet and nursing it through the night- it just stings so much more than watching something on TV.

Hell, i stop on the road to move turtles crossing. I have a very tender heart for animals- always have. I think i dont compartmentalize things with the innocent very well.

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You and my wife...peas in a pod, Red. I know you're hurting right now, but don't ever make the mistake of thinking that's a bad quality, dollface.

17. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

aww sweetie....I'm gonna start crying for you.....thankfully it was a quick passing. Also, I'm like you, I have a very tender heart for animals. I've almost killed myself driving trying to avoid hitting frogs and stuff like that. Thank God I've only ever hit one animal before. It didn't kill or injure it, but I was horrified for days about hitting the poor stupid dog (it ran out of the woods doing 90 to nothing and ran right in front of me.....I slammed on my breaks, but I still hit its poor hind legs. It didn't seem to phase the dog, as it just kept running), thinking about it now is making me tear up. Well I pray that your heart mends soon. :hug: :kiss:

18. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm sorry Red. :( Dogs are the biggest one for me personally, but I understand that you cared for your crabs. It always makes me sad when pets die in movies, and when people I know lose their pets.

19. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Bear, i thought i was the only one that swirved for frogs! I now have an idea for a new bumper sticker.

20. Brillig47

Gold Member

So sad for you, Mmlle R. But esp for your 6-year-old daughter. Maybe kids just live more in the present, and so can take these things better.

Just checked out the photo of the departed crab. That's a big hermit crab. I've only ever seen teeny weeny ones here in European waters.

It's horrible when pets depart. Worse again when oneself is the cause. A rabbit ran under my car yesterday at the end of a long drive home. Nothing I could do. It just shot out from the side of the road at twilight, straight under my wheels.

I felt wretched. Can't forget the crunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted